• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nebuliser

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hello

Could anyone recommend a nebuliser I could buy please? I’m based in the UK. My vet has recommended one for zigs. Poor lad’s often snotty.

Thanks

I have something similar. Get a brand that you can get spares for easily.
Lidl sometimes has nebulisers in as well. Or try local pharmacist for a table top one like the Omron (rather than a small hand-held one for humans).

I don't know the brands but I was using Omron when I was in Turkey and it was a bit noisy. I think you can pay attention to less noise when buying a nebulizer.

Thanks everyone! Do you just use saline solution for a bunny with snuffles?

Thanks I will be buying the one you recommended Sarah.

You can buy vials of sterile saline for nebulisers (eg on Amazon). The aim of a nebuliser is to make the particles much smaller so that they reach deeper into the lungs when they are breathed in, so be careful to use something suitable.

Thank you Shimmer- so do I just need to purchase the saline? Sorry if this sounds like a mega stupid question!

Yes -just use the vials. You don't need much - 5 or 10ml from memory, per session.

Set up the machine so the tube / mask are feeding into a confined space. A cat carrier works well. I clipped the mask on the outside of the door, put the patient in the carrier (with whatever they are comfortable with on the floor - towel, newspaper etc) and cover the entire carrier with a towel to keep the vapour inside it. Load up the machine and switch on. Leave for the recommended time (5 or 10 mins?? - check - twice a day, usually). Rinse out the tubing etc after each use, as the salt will build up otherwise.

It's been a few years sine I've had to use a nebuliser, so check what the latest recommendations are.

I have used F10 antiseptic solution (not the F10 disinfectant) mixed with distilled water (get both from Amazon). And also saline mixed with Baytril injectable. My vet got the dosages from an exotics vet (mine has been used for guinea pigs).

Back