• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heat pad

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Can anyone recommend an electric heat mat please? Zigs hates the snuggle buns and gives both of them dirty looks and pushes them away.

So I’d really like to find him one that he looks at lovingly.
Thanks x

Can anyone recommend an electric heat mat please? Zigs hates the snuggle buns and gives both of them dirty looks and pushes them away.

So I’d really like to find him one that he looks at lovingly.
Thanks x
Is he a chewer? I have one somewhere which a previous bun used to love I knew she wasn't a problem with the wires though. It was just a weird off brand on amazon iirc x

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

He would chew a wire and so would Winnie, but I’d cover the cord with that protector. I’ve bought about 100 metres over the years 🤣🤣

He would chew a wire and so would Winnie, but I’d cover the cord with that protector. I’ve bought about 100 metres over the years [emoji1787][emoji1787]
Omg hahaha I'm looking but it must not have been amazon, issue is its in the storage unit so I can't check the brand either annoyingly! She absolutely loved it though, I think because it wasn't a hard rock that was warm [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

That sounds perfect, especially as she loved it so much🙂. I’ll continue to search for one. Amazon has loads but I never trust their reviews…

Do keep in mind that if he's a chewer, there are wires inside the heat pad as well. I got Sophie one (I can't recommend it, though, as it didn't get very warm even on the highest setting), and if she'd chewed through the fabric she'd have reached the wires and the heating parts, so do keep an eye on that. I'm not sure I'd leave them alone with it.

Do keep in mind that if he's a chewer, there are wires inside the heat pad as well. I got Sophie one (I can't recommend it, though, as it didn't get very warm even on the highest setting), and if she'd chewed through the fabric she'd have reached the wires and the heating parts, so do keep an eye on that. I'm not sure I'd leave them alone with it.

This was what I was just thinking :thumb:

That’s a really good point and one that I hadn’t thought of. Thank you! Winnie is much more likely to dig at the heat mat. There are some materials that are thicker- eg flat weave that they don’t touch due to the density of the fabric, so I may put that type of fabric on top. I’ll see when I get it, as I ordered one yesterday.

Covering it with something they don't dig at sounds like a good idea. I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you, as I've been looking for a safe heating source for Sophie. She hates the plastic microwave things, too (I've forgotten what they're called).

Snuggle safes I think, we have two, and Winnie shows them more love than Zigzag! I’ll update you with how I get on, I should be getting it in about a week.did you try a heat mat? Sorry if I missed that 😕

Yeah, snuggle safes, that's it! Sophie and Casper both hate them. I'm glad Winnie likes them, at least! Thank you for keeping me updated! I did try one, yes, but it barely got warm, so was rather useless. I also worried about what would happen if they'd pee on it, since it wasn't waterproof and there's electric stuff inside. :?

The heat may had been pretty successful, they don’t always sit on it, and Winnie likes it more than Zigzag but they both enjoy it. So I’m pleased!

Here’s the one I got, it was out of this and a Pet Remedy one. I decided to go for this one as I thought it might be slightly better than the Pet Remedy one. It’s a bit of a bargain, not sure why! And the cover has so far worked well :)

https://www.pecute.net/collections/original-heat-mat/products/pecute-pet-heat-pad-medium-40x50cm

That looks like a really good one! I like that it has many layers and is waterproof and fireproof, with a protected cable, too. I'm curious about how warm it feels, too? I'm glad Winnie and Zigzag both like it and that you're pleased with it! :)

The heat may had been pretty successful, they don’t always sit on it, and Winnie likes it more than Zigzag but they both enjoy it. So I’m pleased!

Here’s the one I got, it was out of this and a Pet Remedy one. I decided to go for this one as I thought it might be slightly better than the Pet Remedy one. It’s a bit of a bargain, not sure why! And the cover has so far worked well :)

https://www.pecute.net/collections/original-heat-mat/products/pecute-pet-heat-pad-medium-40x50cm

Did you have any issues with the order or delivery? It's an American company and wants payment in US dollars, which starts to ring scam alarm bells.

Let me know how you get on.
I've been thinking some more about it, and I haven't decided yet. Do you feel comfortable with them using it unsupervised? Or do you only turn it on when you can keep an eye on it? Sophie and Casper do really like chewing on their beds, so I'm not sure I could leave them alone with it.

Mine came yesterday (they used Amazon delivery, although it wasn't bought via Amazon). I've used them before and have had reasons to wish I had one to hand recently for pets recovering from GAs, and for older cats generally. I've not had an issue leaving them on continually for days to weeks, as long as they are carefully positioned so they can't get damaged and they are checked regularly.

Back