• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New prescribing rules 1st Sept

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I couldn't find a thread on this, but mods if there is, please combine.

I noticed that there are new prescription rules from 1 Sept, which means that rabbits, alongside other pets, need to be seen by vets more regularly if they are on a controlled drug. Will this affect any of you guys?

This is basically (and selfishly) a ball ache for me, as Zigs is on Gabapentin and I'm waiting for the RVC to tell me how often Zigs needs to be physically examined per year. My local vet is rubbish, but I guess I will end up getting him checked there, rather than go to Twickenham or the RVC.

And that's my moan for the day!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=1st+S...j8VdIBBzY5MWowajSoAgCwAgA&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531

Yes, I am aware of this. Not sure if you are aware that Christabel is back doing a few consultations now. Just Mondays and Wednesdays, 1000hrs - 1400hrs. She gets booked up very quickly, so book early to avoid disappointment if you go to TVS for the check-ups !

Thanks for letting me know. I didn’t know that; she’s definitely my favourite vet at Twickenham, she loves Winnie.

Do you happen to know if she will continue consulting in the mid to long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for letting me know. I didn’t know that; she’s definitely my favourite vet at Twickenham, she loves Winnie.

Do you happen to know if she will continue consulting in the mid to long term?

At the moment that’s the plan BUT there is a chance things might change due to family circumstances x

Our dog is on gabapentin long-term and, as far as I can tell, we shouldn't be affected going forwards. If I read it right, the regulations are saying that pets need to be seen in person before the INITIAL prescription (apart from some exceptional circumstances), and at regular intervals after. In between times, repeats can be issued after a clinical assessment (which doesn't have to be in person).

As you say, it all depends what individual practices decide is a reasonable period between physical checks though so hopefully it's not too frequent in your case.

Our dog's been on the drug for a few years now & has always had a check up with blood test at least every 6 mths. We're only allowed a 28 day supply at a time so, in between appointments, it's just a quick chat over the phone (to make sure there are no changes really & to see whether dosage needs increasing possibly etc) and I've been told nothing should change.

Thanks both for your feedback, I’ve just realised this doesn’t affect things as much as I initially thought- I thought it included controlled medications as well. So Karen you’re right! The RVC vet just confused me, but it was probably due to me getting the wrong end of the stick.

The only faff for me, is if Zigs or Winnie need antibiotics, as I’d be required to travel to the RVC or Twickenham - whereas I’d previously be able to get them without the vets seeing either bun in the last month.

Back