• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nala's Unwell! U/D -Back to Normal!!

Holly was like Nala, she was like it for a week. I had a lot more sucess with baby food, if that's any help. Sending lots of vibes.

Diddeen said:
She is still sat not doing much.. ignoring most food i try. Just picked her up to give her more critical care and found a little bundle of tiny poos stuck to her bum and feet.. they really are teeny weeny but at least its a sign things are on the move... she is just having a tiny nibble of carrot too. Got the boiled water cooling so i'll give her some of that in a bit.
The vet said to give 4-5mls of critical care every 4hrs.. how much water would you give on top of that? 5mls every 4hrs (in between the critical care) be ok?

Sorry to hear Nala is not well. I hope she picks up soon. I would up the critical care. You are supposed to give 50ml per kg body weight daily spread between several feeds. If she weighs around 2kg that works out to around 16ml every 4 hours.
Was their any hair in the poos? Usually when they have really tiny poos or one big one at once its when they have a little bit of a blockage.

SOAD said:
Holly was like Nala, she was like it for a week. I had a lot more sucess with baby food, if that's any help. Sending lots of vibes.

Critical care is much better for them than baby food. Baby food has nowhere near as much fibre. The CC is specially designed for a bunnies digestive system :thumb:

sgprescue said:
Sorry to hear Nala is not well. I hope she picks up soon. I would up the critical care. You are supposed to give 50ml per kg body weight daily spread between several feeds. If she weighs around 2kg that works out to around 16ml every 4 hours.
Was their any hair in the poos? Usually when they have really tiny poos or one big one at once its when they have a little bit of a blockage.

Oh ok thanks Cheryl I dont think she will complain she seems to quite like it. There was a bit of fur with the big lump that came out but not a huge amount.. ive squished a few of the diddy ones she did after and they all seem pretty normal. She's just done another wee so at least that end is working fine. She is still ignoring pretty much normal food.. just has a tiny nibble every few hours or so. She isnt moving alot again either.. just sitting in the big tray ive brough down for her. Ive just had a cuddle and massaged her tummy a bit more.. hopefully i'll see more poos soon.. havent seen any more, about half a dozen tiny ones so far (about the size of hamster poo!)

Hi there. I would agree with upping the critical care a bit. You can buy bigger syringe feeding kits (manufactured my Mikky, alsp manufactured by Sherley's but I like the Mikky ones better) in most pet shops, up to 12mls each time and a thicker end bit to let lumpier bits through. I snipped the end even further back to help more.

I have had three buns who have needed syringe fed in the last four weeks, and have one at the moment. Prior to that I hadn't done it before. Its hard to get the amount and consistency right I think. My vet told me to look at what is coming out and if it looks like water its too watery (!), they need it a bit thicker. That's why I use just a little baby food mixed in. Only a little though. It seems to help the lumps and bumps of the pellets carry through the syringe and I have definitely found that my buns do better on it, it doesn't run out of their mouth so much. What used to happen would be the watery part would squirt out into their mouths and the slightly lumpier parts (with the fibre I suppose) would clog up the syringe. I have also found (through desperation!) that if it is luke warm, they like it lots more. But your little patient seems to be complying!

Hopefully its just an off day. If not, probably best to get her teeth checked. The oroscope doesn't let the vets see right to the back molars all the time apparently.

Lots of luck to your little poppet. Like Nala, my bunsters didn't like being picked up but after having to handle them so much during syringe feeding recently, they are more confident with me. I think they realise we are helping.

Lots of vibes for you and Nala. I'll think of you and her when I'm doing my little bunny's feeds.

Fiona x

Hi Fiona.. thanks for the info. The critical care seems to mix up pretty smooth.. hard to judge how runny to make it tho! The 1ml syringe seems to work pretty well.. apart from having to keep re-filling the syringe. She only takes about 0.5mls at a time then i have to wait to give her some more!
I said exactly the same to my bf just now about maybe all this handling will make her realise im quite nice really and not be so frightened of me!
Will keep you all updated.. no more poops at the moment :?

How is Nala this morning? I have found that corriander has tempted two of mine when they stopped eating. It has quite a strong smell. Also infacol has always seemed to help. Hope she is eating for you soon. They are such a worry aren't they, when they are off colour? Good luck, thinking of you both!! Pam

I had a look at Nala last night and she had loads of gas in her tummy. I gave her some more infacol and Chris was going to give her more through the night. I sent Chris a text this morning asking how she is but havent heard back yet. I hope she is ok :(

Hiya.. sorry stayed in bed late! Dont worry tho i had Nala in a pen beside my bed so i could keep an eye on her and syringe feed her and give infacol and massages through the night. She suddenly got lively about 6.30am and started having one or two pellets and the veg id left out for her. I think she had some water out of her bowl as there is lots of dried crumbs of critical care in the bowl this morning. She is alot more lively today.. actually runs away from me and grunts if i pick her up! hurrah! She has weed a few times overnight but no poops yet. Her tummy is so much flatter this morning.. i think i massaged her tummy for about 2hrs last night after going to cheryl's.. the balls of air and noises were horrid but she just sat there letting me do it. Hopefully i'll have a big pile of poos to report soon.. thanks for your thoughts! Thanks for checking her over last night cheryl :D

Oh God Chris, I've just found this thread! I hope Nala is feeling a lot better today. I know when my Pru went off her food for nearing a week, I worried like crazy! Thankfully, she came through, but to this day, I still don't know why she just went off her food like that!

Sending the gorgeous Nala loads of positive vibes. x

Ive just sat massaging her tummy again for half an hour. She doesnt have some fight in her now!! Not impressed! There is definitely a harder ball just under her ribs to one side.. is that her stomach?? Id love to know what i am feeling.. need a lesson in rabbit anatomy!! I kept massaging it and as i did a little ball of gass blew out the other side which i then massaged til it went away.. poor girl.. she must just feel like needing a big ****!!! When i put her down i made her run around the lounge and she did a couple of very wet poops.. still a bit small but at least something is getting through. Gonna take them all in the garden now and see if that will help get things moving

Hang on in there, at least she is moving around, nibbling, weeing and doing the odd small poop. Hopefully before long she will do lots to keep make you happy, it is such a worrying time for you. Come on Nala lots of poops and wind for your mum please ...

Only just seen all this,sorry to hear she's off colour.Come on little fluffball get better soon :D

Well she still seems to be a bit better than yesterday.. runs away or grunts at me when i go to pick her up or touch her.. im sure she is getting worse again now tho like last night.. her belly is getting bigger with bubbles again. I just gave her a really long massage and could feel it all moving around.. then i think i must have pressed in the wrong place cos she weed on me! I put her down, she ran upstairs and did a huge wee on the floor.. so at least i guess she's getting enough fluid. She did about another 3 poos (i think they came from her anyway) they were odd shapes but i thought hurray things are moving now... but she has been very quiet again since then.. wont eat any coriander/parsley or celery or pellets :( I'll update you again later.. keep the vibes coming i dunno whats wrong with my little girlie

I wish I could offer advice but I'm afraid I'm a bit inexperienced :oops: so all I can send is my love and snuggles for a special girl

Hi there. Buns are very up and down, one minute they are fine, the next they are poor, then getting better, then doing worse. Little bizzums.

I would go to the the vet tomorrow and ask for some gut stimulants just to make sure her guts keep ticking over during this. Possibly some pain relief too as its not nice when you're a puffed up bun! Obviously he/she might want to look further to see if there is a cause.

Keep going with the Infacol and belly rubs, I think its 1 ml every hour. Its inert so its not harmful. My vet also gives Zantac (0.5mls twice a day). I think it helps the wind a little, also helps line/protect the tummy when there's not as much going in there. You could maybe ask for that.

Infacol and belly rubs seem to be the way to go. Fluids as well as syringe feeding seem to help them be more comfortable.

Aww poor bun, hope she gets on the mend soon! Good job again though, you are watching her every move!

Fiona x

Back