• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My precious bunny had to be put to sleep :(

Maybe you would like to post his story and some pictures as a tribute on the Rainbow Bridge section of the forum. It is so obvious from your posts that he was a very much loved part of your whole family. Many of us join the forum when we have lost one of our little friends. It is a place where you know you are among like-minded people who understand the bond that can develop between rabbits and their carer family and appreciate the sadness you are now feeling.

We had to have our bonded pair of 9 year olds PTS almost a year ago and only five weeks apart. From around 8 years old they started to really show signs of aging. They were content to just snuggle up to each other and rest for most of the day, food had lost a lot of its appeal and even a trip to the litter tray seemed to need a great deal of planning, so they would go together and cuddle each other while in it. In all that time though they never lost their dignity and would groom themselves and each other every day. Bunnies do age, but they do it with such grace.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it bought tears to my eyes reading your story.... I think 9 years is a good age, but that probably won't bring you any comfort as it is always hard losing a bun of any age... sending you a big hug...:cry:

I would really like to post some pictures of him on here. When I try to it says post the URL but they are just pictures from a digital camera I have transfered onto the computer. Does anyone know how to get round this?

Lobo - I completely agree with what you are saying about bunnies maintain their grace...even on the day he was pts he was washing his face even though he wasn't able to stand up. He was such a trooper <3

:cry: soo sorry for your loss, but he did live to a great age and can tell he was well loved, i know its hard now, but in time you will look back at the happy memories you had with him, hugs

I really feel for you. I lost my Bobby 2 weeks ago and he was a fit 5 year old until he stopped eating, which has happend before. Had I only known about this web site before, I may have learn't a bit more before it was too late. I got Bobby to the vets too late and he had a fit and died while in for treatment. I have the loss and the blame but your bunny was 9 years old. It sounds like he had a wonderful life with you. It's a similar story to my friends dog. He was old and had steroid injections to perk him up, he was stiff when he walked and very slow. One morning he could not get up and it was time to say good bye. I rang a lovely lady called Christine. I found her in my rabbiting on magazine, i was desperately looking for an answer. My family were supportive but some times you just need to keep talking and searching. Her number is 0115 8402737, she was lovely.
P1000536-1.jpg

Thanks for the help re the photos.

I had put up some pictures of him in the Rainbow Bridge section so you can all see Miffy

xx

Back