• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Dougal bun has stasis :( U/D Tues 8pm :) pg 6

Re the liquid coming out with just a bit of fecal matter.

When willow had a gut twisted, when they put her under the GA for the op to try and untwist it, they said that vile smelling green liquid just poured out of her (as the GA 'overcomes' the non vomiting thing in rabbits and it can then come up that way). Maybe if Dougal IS now passing things through its that sort of yukky liquid that had built up and now its getting through???

Just a thought - and an optimistic one!!!

sending a top up of warm snugglie bunny healing vibes....now come on dougal you know you want to munch lovely stuff for your doris and mummy x fudge says you have to get better as needs a pal to talk to :D

Hes still in for another night :( They are syringe feeding and continueing fluids and meds and Ive got to see how he is in the morning.
He will still eat dandelions though, which is a good sign. :) Doris is being a good attentive wifey too. :)
They still haven't told me that it's bloat, its only on the board as that. Whats the difference between that and stasis?

stasis is when the guts slow down and become stationary - bloat is when the guts bloat up with gas. Usually stasis leads to bloat if it doesn't get better as gas builds up the longer the stomach contents are just left sitting there, due to bacterial action. Usually bloat is caused by a blockage, so the stomach blows up like a balloon. When Pepsi had bloat he looked like he had a tennis ball stuck up his jumper - that size. Vet gave him metaclop and told me to force feed him - I didn't know any better :( They can resolve bloat by intubation - but they need a very small bore tube, like you'd use for making wine, and a syringe to squirt water down the tube every few seconds, as it soon gets clogged with hair etc. from the stomach - that can be used to syphon the air out of the stomach. If he's eating dandelions I can't imagine it's bloat as that's pretty serious - so it does sound a bit hopeful now for him :)

stasis is when the guts slow down and become stationary - bloat is when the guts bloat up with gas. Usually stasis leads to bloat if it doesn't get better as gas builds up the longer the stomach contents are just left sitting there, due to bacterial action. Usually bloat is caused by a blockage, so the stomach blows up like a balloon. When Pepsi had bloat he looked like he had a tennis ball stuck up his jumper - that size. Vet gave him metaclop and told me to force feed him - I didn't know any better :( They can resolve bloat by intubation - but they need a very small bore tube, like you'd use for making wine, and a syringe to squirt water down the tube every few seconds, as it soon gets clogged with hair etc. from the stomach - that can be used to syphon the air out of the stomach. If he's eating dandelions I can't imagine it's bloat as that's pretty serious - so it does sound a bit hopeful now for him :)

They said that on the x ray it showed his gut was completely blown out and distorted with gas, and when you feel his stomach you can feel every strand of intestine, bit they couldn't find an impaction to cause it. Unless its just because the peristaltic action has stopped because of his megacolon condition, and then he's stuffed. :(

Oh dear, only just seen this! Hope Dougal gets that silly blockage cleared soon, and his system gets moving again! I'm glad he has Doris with him!

(((vibes)))

Hes home! :) Hes not mended yet though. He stinks like a pig farm and is passing a clear fluid alongside his stools, which are soft. :roll:

They've shaved his butt and made him look like a rat with a silly poofy bit on the end of his tail! :lol: We had a long cuddle when he got home and he ground his teeth and went to sleep on me. :love: I missed him sooo much.

He will eat fresh food and very small bits of pellets and hay, especially if I sprinkle dried basil on it :) but won't drink, Im not overly worried yet though because of all the fresh stuff hes eating.

I had to bath him because he was filthy and he stank, now he just smells because he keeps trumping and squelching :shock: although earlier he did a dump almost the same size as him!! I'm guessing thats a good thing! :lol: He ate some of it too. :mrgreen:

I am a bit worried though because he keeps having bad patches where he is obviously in pain and hunches up again, then shakes it off and starts moving again and eats.

I wonder if Fibroplex would help? The vet wants to charge me the earth for it though. :roll:

awwww hun hes been in for so long :shock:

really really happy hes home, sending loads of new vibes for him xxxxx

wooohoooo fantastic news......although did look a little ruffled post bathtime :love:

so glad the braintree one has won his appeal and is starting to get better :D

He's all dry now, I wooshed him with the hairdryer :)

Im being a bit rubbish on the computer tonight because my screen is playing up again. :roll: Ive got it balanced at 45 degrees backwards and sideways just so i can see at the mo but it makes typing very hard! :lol::lol:

ooooooooooooo laptop yoga!

says she who manged to crunch her shoulder in aerobics tonight and now has a sore elbow and sticky out shouldr blade again :(

Thats great news!

When Willow came home from her gut operation 24 hours later she did a pooh the size of my fist!!!!:oops:

Not sure how she managed to get it through her little bum but it was a huge mass all stuck together!!! Poor little soul kept rushing from corner to corner of the cage for about 2 hours beforehand straining and (like Dougal) looked like she was in pain again. She did another slightly smaller one the next day and some squidgies - and then it was back to normal.

It was SO enormous I squeezed it inti a jam har and took it to my vets to show them when she had her daily check up . . it was VERY smelly:oops::oops::oops:

Thats great news!

When Willow came home from her gut operation 24 hours later she did a pooh the size of my fist!!!!:oops:

Not sure how she managed to get it through her little bum but it was a huge mass all stuck together!!! Poor little soul kept rushing from corner to corner of the cage for about 2 hours beforehand straining and (like Dougal) looked like she was in pain again. She did another slightly smaller one the next day and some squidgies - and then it was back to normal.

It was SO enormous I squeezed it inti a jam har and took it to my vets to show them when she had her daily check up . . it was VERY smelly:oops::oops::oops:

:lol::lol::lol:

He's bright as a button today, running about and eating and drinking everything in sight.:) He even dived headfirst into the tank when I was spraying my stick insects and started munching!! :shock: Luckily I got to them before he did! :lol:

His poops are much better today too, he's much more like my little Dougal bun again. :) :) We're going for a check up this afternoon though so I'll know for sure then.

ETA: GLadys lollopped past me last night too and he immediately ran over and tried to pick a fight with her ( he is a giant bunny in a little bunnies body :roll:) so he must be feeling better!! :lol:

Last edited:
Back