• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My beloved Bunny has died

Thinking of you as well Vianne

angelbaby.gif

It is just so heartbreaking when we lose our babies

Best Wishes Vivian

I am sorry, I have been through this twice now and the worst thing is all the questions you ask yourself. This time we had a post mortem, which helped no end, knowing that there was little we could have done. However still some what ifs. I think when they are in their prime as mine was at 11 months, the tragedyis very cruel.

2 weeks has passed, and the loss has not subsided, but the feeling of wanting to cry is beginning to. After a while you start to celebrate their life, rather than mourn their passing. Warren's sister Charlie, is doing well, confidence growing. She is still looking for her, and not quite settled in the lower hutch, but getting there. Still offering a forever home for a lucky neutered little boy bun?? Charlie is a very attractive girl bunbun, melts my heart anyway.. .
Feeling for you.

Hi!
I didn't see this thread before.... but I did reply in your other 'hello' thread. I'm from Devon too :wave:
If you're still looking for a boyfriend for your girl bun, it looks like Little Valley RSPCA have a few gorgeous boys that need a home - http://www.rspcaexeter.org.uk/html/animals.html . There is also the Animals in Distress place near Newton Abbot that always has loads of buns for rehoming.

Re: Best Wishes Vivian

rabbitthings said:
I am sorry, I have been through this twice now and the worst thing is all the questions you ask yourself. This time we had a post mortem, which helped no end, knowing that there was little we could have done. However still some what ifs. I think when they are in their prime as mine was at 11 months, the tragedyis very cruel.

2 weeks has passed, and the loss has not subsided, but the feeling of wanting to cry is beginning to. After a while you start to celebrate their life, rather than mourn their passing. Warren's sister Charlie, is doing well, confidence growing. She is still looking for her, and not quite settled in the lower hutch, but getting there. Still offering a forever home for a lucky neutered little boy bun?? Charlie is a very attractive girl bunbun, melts my heart anyway.. .
Feeling for you.

I guess I thought it would have eased the second time, maybe not :( I was actually thinking about getting a post mortem, because the worst thing for me too was not knowing what was wrong and I am forever thinking what if's and that I could have and should have done more, I punish myself constantly, and I know it's horrid, the vet didn't know what was wrong either, because Jasper was so healthy, and because it was so sudden and because Jasper was only three years old.

The vet truly thought he was on the road to recovery from his gut statis, and was dismayed and shocked at the outcome. In the end the vet put the gut statis down to an underlying problem with Jaspers brain - I think they thought this because he died of a fit. I didn't have a post mortem in the end because I didnt want his little (and magnificent) body being cut up - not having a go at you or anything, it's just the way I personally thought of things in my situation.

It's horrible to hear that still after two weeks, you feel just as bad, I'm beginning to try to accept that Jasper has gone and that I should be thankful to have had him and that I didn't let him to to a horrid home, and that I gave him a lovely life.

I know how you feel about your beloved bun being taken at such a young age - because that's what happened with me - and yes it's so unexpected and yes your right - cruel. But you have to know that you did all you could and have given that wonderful bunny a lovely home. I'm beginning to think now - what if i'd have never have got Jasper?? who could have got him?? and even though it hurts so much right now and feels so disrespectful to my baby to even think of giving another bunny a loving home, if I'd have thought like that about Jasper at the time I was thinking to get him, then where may he be now???

You have to remember that people like you are hard to find, and because of that you are so important to bunnys because they are little helpless, gentle, defensless creatures who rely on us, and maybe one day it would do justice to both of your beloved bunnys who you have lost for you to carry on caring for other bunnys in their names.

If you would like to read my whole story, it's in the rabbit care discussion - "My friends rabbit Jasper has gut statis - sad news"

I have found that reading other peoples stories of their losses and knowing that we are all in this together has helped to ease the pain slightly.

Thinking of you.....

Vianne..it really does help to know that other people have gone through the same thing and that we do understand. You are right, we are all in this together and a trouble shared is a trouble halved :love:

Back