• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My 1 year old bunny has died, advice and help needed

bunnies95

Young Bun
i own 3 bunnies alfie barney percy - all 1 year but born at different times of the year, i had alfie and barney from pets at home as babies and percy i adopted from a lady who used to breed mini lops but she got ill and had to give them away - so all have had to be neutered and bonded.....

percy was neutered 6 weeks ago and boded really well with the other two 3 weeks ago...percy had to hav his teeth filed down at the back when he was neutered as the prevoius owner fed him too much nuggets.

I fed them all this morning and played with them, i then went to watch films in the lounge as ive been ill, 3 hours ago i went to mkaesure they were okay and topped their water up and found percy was dead in the hutch....i am so upset i feel i've done something wrong, i lost my girl emily this year and she was adopted too.

he seemed fine, i was supposed to take him to the vets on sunday for them to check his teeth again, i just dont understand whats wrong, so im just going to explain roughly what i feed them and care:

i give them 25g of pellets each (the selective rabbit food brand), (please let me know if this is too much) and will give them the pellets today, miss a day and then give them pellets etc.

they have contstant supply of hay, i get the pets at home timothy hay

they have sawdust in the hutch with litter boxes with pet litter (back-2-nature)

i give them wood twig from our apple tree t keep teeth nice and trimmed....

what is it im doing wrong, can you guys tell me what your bunny routine is with the amount of food you give and type (salad, pellets)

ive put my other 2 bunnies in a playpen for tonight as i want to scrub the hutch as im paranoid because emily and percy have died in the same hutch....

can i use normal disinfectant to scrub ad clean the cage an allow to fully dry? or what would you use?

sorry if this is a long post im just so sad as i always want the best for my bunnies, they mean everything to me :cry:

i own 3 bunnies alfie barney percy - all 1 year but born at different times of the year, i had alfie and barney from pets at home as babies and percy i adopted from a lady who used to breed mini lops but she got ill and had to give them away - so all have had to be neutered and bonded.....

percy was neutered 6 weeks ago and boded really well with the other two 3 weeks ago...percy had to hav his teeth filed down at the back when he was neutered as the prevoius owner fed him too much nuggets.

I fed them all this morning and played with them, i then went to watch films in the lounge as ive been ill, 3 hours ago i went to mkaesure they were okay and topped their water up and found percy was dead in the hutch....i am so upset i feel i've done something wrong, i lost my girl emily this year and she was adopted too.

he seemed fine, i was supposed to take him to the vets on sunday for them to check his teeth again, i just dont understand whats wrong, so im just going to explain roughly what i feed them and care:

i give them 25g of pellets each (the selective rabbit food brand), (please let me know if this is too much) and will give them the pellets today, miss a day and then give them pellets etc.

they have contstant supply of hay, i get the pets at home timothy hay

they have sawdust in the hutch with litter boxes with pet litter (back-2-nature)

i give them wood twig from our apple tree t keep teeth nice and trimmed....

what is it im doing wrong, can you guys tell me what your bunny routine is with the amount of food you give and type (salad, pellets)

ive put my other 2 bunnies in a playpen for tonight as i want to scrub the hutch as im paranoid because emily and percy have died in the same hutch....

can i use normal disinfectant to scrub ad clean the cage an allow to fully dry? or what would you use?

sorry if this is a long post im just so sad as i always want the best for my bunnies, they mean everything to me :cry:

I'm so very sorry to hear about percy :(

It's obvious you love your bunnies very much and I'm sorry you've been poorly as well.

You will know that it's impossible for anyone to tell you what might have happened, but let me reassure you that it doesn't sound like anything you've done. Please forgive yourself!

As you've asked for advice, we don't usually use wood shavings for rabbits' bedding:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

... and it may be an idea to consider giving them a smaller number of pellets but every day? Are they eating lots of hay/grass? It's great for digestion and wearing down the teeth.

Cleaning the cage - I would use Virkon. This kills a lot of viruses and is highly recommended.

Have your rabbits been vaccinated and do you know that there is now a second vaccine (apart from the Myxi/vhd combo) that covers VHD2?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-*UPDATED*-26TH-October-2016

Once again, I am really sorry to hear about your lovely rabbit, but please stay with us and don't beat yourself up :D

thanks so much for the help.....is newspaper and dog training pads okay for the base of the hutch? and how much pellets each should i give everyday? they are both mini lops x

thanks so much for the help.....is newspaper and dog training pads okay for the base of the hutch? and how much pellets each should i give everyday? they are both mini lops x

You're very welcome :D

I just use newspaper and hay only in the litter tray, and lino for the rest of their accommodation. I often find that if you put newspaper and hay down everywhere they will treat it as one giant litter tray!

I would give one egg cup full of pellets between 2 mini lops. Some people don't like the egg cup measurement, but I don't actually weigh out the pellets :lol:

You're very welcome :D

I just use newspaper and hay only in the litter tray, and lino for the rest of their accommodation. I often find that if you put newspaper and hay down everywhere they will treat it as one giant litter tray!

I would give one egg cup full of pellets between 2 mini lops. Some people don't like the egg cup measurement, but I don't actually weigh out the pellets :lol:

Just to add that if you reduce pellets, do it very gradually, no sudden change.

I used puppy pads as a soft base for mine, and it helped, as they got older and less accurate with their toileting.
I am sorry for your loss but it doesn't sound as if you did anything to cause it. I have quite often read, on RU, of sudden deaths. There can be congenital defects which we never know about that lead to sudden death, as well as diseases, accidents, shocks. Its the firework time of year, some rabbits are very upset by them.

Really sorry for you loss. You've been given some good advice. I would also recommend them getting the two vaccines for rabbits if you haven't already. It doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong and their deaths couldn't be helped. I would slowly reduce the pellets as they will eat more hay keeping their digestion and teeth healthy. You can always get a variety of hays to keep their interest

Back