• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, my bunny has gone psycho

pinseyt

New Kit
Hi everyone, my first time on here and I need some help! I hope you lovely bunny experts can offer some advice.

I adopted 2 bunnies 6 weeks ago, Dutch/Lionhead cross sisters, really happy around humans though they hated being held. They came from a local family who had lots of animals (dogs, cats, hamsters). The buns were clearly well-loved but they were put up for adoption after the family had twins (humans) and couldn't give the buns the attention they need. They were 6 months old when we got them and Molly was demonstrating hormonal behaviour at the time and kept trying to mount her sister so they were neutered pronto. It has been 5 weeks since the op, they recovered beautifully and are the most adorable balls of fluff. They are still not keen on being picked up but will happily snack on your lap and let you stroke them all day. They live inside in a 6ft x 6ft pen with a 3 storey cage which is permanently open - we inherited the cage from the last owners and though I'm not keen on it, the bunnies seem to love the ramps and sitting high up. When it's not raining, they have access to a nice, large, safe garden. Molly is top bun, gregarious and bossy but very outgoing. Emily is more timid, easily spooked but very affectionate.

Today something terrible happened. My sister recently rescued 2 buns and brought them over to have a run around in the garden (my 2 buns stayed inside). On her way out, she had her 2 in the carrier and we stopped for a chat next to the pen. Biggest mistake ever and one I regret massively. Molly's reaction was to stay very still and alert. Emily on the otherhand went completely psycho and attacked her sister violently in the pen. There was fur everywhere and I managed to separate them and locked Emily in the cage. I am guessing the scent of the other rabbits confused her and she went into attack mode with the nearest rabbit to hand. Completely out of character. After the bunny visitors left, I let Emily out but she attacked Molly again. So they have been split up - one gets the pen, the other stays in the cage. Neither seems pleased with the situation.

I tried to get them to make friends outside. They seemed to get on at first but then they both started fighting and I had to spray them with water to stop. They are back in the pen/cage and they seemed to have calmed down. They sniff and lick each other through the bars.

I don't really know what to do. Do I risk letting them both out in the pen together and try again to see how they get on? Are they now unbonded and I have to rebond? This morning, they were the happiest, cutest pair of bunnies snuggling up to each other. I am devastated that this was destroyed in literally a minute. Can anyone offer any advice? These are my first rabbits since adulthood and I have researched rabbit keeping to death to make sure they have the best life possible. I honestly want to cry now!

Hi everyone, my first time on here and I need some help! I hope you lovely bunny experts can offer some advice.

I adopted 2 bunnies 6 weeks ago, Dutch/Lionhead cross sisters, really happy around humans though they hated being held. They came from a local family who had lots of animals (dogs, cats, hamsters). The buns were clearly well-loved but they were put up for adoption after the family had twins (humans) and couldn't give the buns the attention they need. They were 6 months old when we got them and Molly was demonstrating hormonal behaviour at the time and kept trying to mount her sister so they were neutered pronto. It has been 5 weeks since the op, they recovered beautifully and are the most adorable balls of fluff. They are still not keen on being picked up but will happily snack on your lap and let you stroke them all day. They live inside in a 6ft x 6ft pen with a 3 storey cage which is permanently open - we inherited the cage from the last owners and though I'm not keen on it, the bunnies seem to love the ramps and sitting high up. When it's not raining, they have access to a nice, large, safe garden. Molly is top bun, gregarious and bossy but very outgoing. Emily is more timid, easily spooked but very affectionate.

Today something terrible happened. My sister recently rescued 2 buns and brought them over to have a run around in the garden (my 2 buns stayed inside). On her way out, she had her 2 in the carrier and we stopped for a chat next to the pen. Biggest mistake ever and one I regret massively. Molly's reaction was to stay very still and alert. Emily on the otherhand went completely psycho and attacked her sister violently in the pen. There was fur everywhere and I managed to separate them and locked Emily in the cage. I am guessing the scent of the other rabbits confused her and she went into attack mode with the nearest rabbit to hand. Completely out of character. After the bunny visitors left, I let Emily out but she attacked Molly again. So they have been split up - one gets the pen, the other stays in the cage. Neither seems pleased with the situation.

I tried to get them to make friends outside. They seemed to get on at first but then they both started fighting and I had to spray them with water to stop. They are back in the pen/cage and they seemed to have calmed down. They sniff and lick each other through the bars.

I don't really know what to do. Do I risk letting them both out in the pen together and try again to see how they get on? Are they now unbonded and I have to rebond? This morning, they were the happiest, cutest pair of bunnies snuggling up to each other. I am devastated that this was destroyed in literally a minute. Can anyone offer any advice? These are my first rabbits since adulthood and I have researched rabbit keeping to death to make sure they have the best life possible. I honestly want to cry now!

I think what you have been through here is what is called ''referred aggression'' where a rabbit wants to attack the strange rabbit but cannot get to them so they turn on their partner.

It may be an idea to try and neutralize the area that they were in (thoroughly clean it with white vinegar and warm water to neutralize scent) then attempt re bonding? Short periods of time together in a neutral area where they can slowly get to know one another again. You can wear shoe on your feet to protect your hands in case they fight. It could be that the smell of the other rabbits is still hanging around and that is upsetting your bun?

I hope someone else can come along and confirm this is the sort of thing you need to do?

That is called referred aggression and is actually very common if not usually so dramatic. Your girly was intimidated/scared/angry to see other rabbits and wanted to attack them but couldn't so lashed out at her sister. A bit like in times of stress us humans take our emotions out by snapping at ones we love ect.

If it were me I would leave them for a day or so and then try to rebond in a neutral place. A small pen somewhere neither bun has ever been before. If they are happy in the pen then do a deep clean of their home to neutralise that and then take it slow introducing new areas/space.

Good luck! :wave:

Hi, what you witnessed is called referred aggression. When a bun cannot get at who they want to attack they then turn on each other. It can be a real nuisance and as in your case a real problem. The two sisters in my trio fell out in this way earlier in the year after a wild baby rabbit got into my garden. Sadly I was not able to rebond them. Does on the whole seem to be more territorial than bucks.

However all is not lost, especially if your girls are licking each other through the bars. I would suggest trying to rebond them in a small space in a neutral room. Do you have a room in your house that you can use that they have not had access too? If you can set up a small pen, or use a small cage in this room this is a good starting point. If you fill the pen/cage with hay rather than using litter trays there is less likely to be falling out over litter tray possession. If things are looking good you can start to increase the space and add in toys and litter trays. I would also suggest maybe reducing the space they are allowed initially when you return them to their current set up. As a precaution you may want to neutralise everything by wiping over with a vinegar solution.

Fingers crossed that all works out for you and the bunnies. They sound lovely.

Yes, I think you were on the right lines trying them in the garden, but as they play out there it's probably not neutral enough so a completely new room would be the best option. Bathroom/kitchen/utility not too big and with too much around.

You might find it helps to let the see/smell each other before letting them interact. That way they can ID each other rather than just pouncing when they see movement. Rabbits tend to be a bit 'attack first, work out who it was later'. Even holding them next to each other (on the ground) so they can't physically attack but are near may help.

Thank you for your replies everyone. I've been busy getting the buns reacquainted for the last few hours. We put the two of them together in the bathroom as a neutral place and they were so busy being anxious and sniffing around the loo, they forgot they were suppose to be fighting. Emily was back to her meek self and showed signs of being sorry and tried to groom her sister who rejected her a few times and thumped her annoyance but after an hour, they were grooming each other and nuzzling. We had their entire pen deep cleaned, the three tier cage removed as I can't risk them fighting in there and put some new carpet down. A new environment for them to explore together. They seem to be back to their old selves although I am still quite nervous and have been monitoring them closely. Fingers crossed for a calm evening and that normal service resumes!

I am so pleased to read this. Fingers crossed that all continues to go well. Of course we will need some pictures now................;)

That's great to hear :) Well done on neutralising it too. I hope it continues.

It's worth keeping in mind the issue for feature, so I'd suggest washing your hands after visiting your sister/her bunnies and make her do the same when she comes in before playing with yours.

Another trigger can be a change in space so I'd not let them outside to play until they've had longer to settle back in and just keep it in mind for future if you make any changes to their accommodation.

Glad to read that they are getting back to normal. I have two dutch x lionheads as well. Frosty and Snowflake in my sig. they are brothers. They fell out big time just after being neutered but are now all loved up again and bonded with two sisters, Tessie and Daisy (lionhead x ??? who were born in rescue).

It would be lovely to see pics of your two.

Thank you Tamsin for the advice. My sis wonders if our buns will be able to smell the other rabbits on her clothes even after she has washed her hands. She loves our 2 and wants to be able to play with them but doesn't want the crazy behaviour to erupt again. We're all a bit scared now actually! I did play with my sis' buns on Monday, washed my hands and my 2 were fine with it. Do you have any more advice on this? Noted about the garden, I think I will just let them relax for a few days in their newly reorganised pen.

Tulsi/Vanessa B. I would love to be able to post pics but I haven't figured out how yet. Tulsi - your buns are gorgeous and look very familiar ;)

I think if you let them resettle and then hand wash, that any leftover scent should be ok. I think having actual bunnies (a lot stinkier to a rabbit) and also sound/visual probably was the issue, and I think you'd be okay with just a bit of left over smell. Making sure your sister gives them a treat first thing might help too - then any scent leftover turns into a positive signal anyway. If not roll your sister in something stinky before letting her in to mask the smell :lol:

I think if you let them resettle and then hand wash, that any leftover scent should be ok. I think having actual bunnies (a lot stinkier to a rabbit) and also sound/visual probably was the issue, and I think you'd be okay with just a bit of left over smell. Making sure your sister gives them a treat first thing might help too - then any scent leftover turns into a positive signal anyway. If not roll your sister in something stinky before letting her in to mask the smell :lol:

Haha, she won't be keen on the rolling about in smelly stuff so we'll try with the treats - they know her as soft, treat lady already anyway :D

Back