• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Multiple dental issuesUD seen rabbit vet.

Thankyou Jane,thats very kind of you.

I will blend his pellets,thats a good idea and Im chopping his hay quite finely more for the fibre than tooth wearing properties.My blender wont know whats hit it:lol:

Yes I have one like that .... a food processor that has 'blended' more hay and veggies than food for me :shock:

You'll make it work, I know you will ..... More importantly, so does Bruce :D

We saw my rabbit savvy vet today who gave him a very thorough examination.We were in consult for 1/2 hour!He had one of his incisors burred as it was still alittle long.He confirmed that Bruces mouth was messy with teeth of different lengths.It was very soon after the dental he had afew days ago at the vets the rescue use so he needed to see how things would go but will see him in 3 weeks for an xray and possibly incisor removal.He wanted to wait until then as hes only recently had a GA.He upped his pain relief and put him on penicillin for 2 weeks as he normally does that following tooth extraction(Bruce had 2 molars out afew days ago).
Im relieved weve seen my vet.He feels Bruce may need regular dentals(no surprise there)but because his teeth are quite bad they may not actually grow very much as is the case sometimes with advanced dental problems in buns.
Time will tell how we need to tackle this.Hes a gorgeous boy and deserves lots of help.

We saw my rabbit savvy vet today who gave him a very thorough examination.We were in consult for 1/2 hour!He had one of his incisors burred as it was still alittle long.He confirmed that Bruces mouth was messy with teeth of different lengths.It was very soon after the dental he had afew days ago at the vets the rescue use so he needed to see how things would go but will see him in 3 weeks for an xray and possibly incisor removal.He wanted to wait until then as hes only recently had a GA.He upped his pain relief and put him on penicillin for 2 weeks as he normally does that following tooth extraction(Bruce had 2 molars out afew days ago).
Im relieved weve seen my vet.He feels Bruce may need regular dentals(no surprise there)but because his teeth are quite bad they may not actually grow very much as is the case sometimes with advanced dental problems in buns.
Time will tell how we need to tackle this.Hes a gorgeous boy and deserves lots of help.

I'm so glad he ended up with you. Who knows what would have happened otherwise ....

Poor Brucey! Maybe losing his incisors .. but he'll be able to eat better after that no doubt. One of my bunnies has teeth so bad that although he used to have very regular dentals, the teeth have pretty much stopped growing now.

How is he managing with eating right now? x

Thanks MightyMax.Well hes just started to eat torn up rocket.YAY!My vet said it may well be a matter of confidence as his teeth had been hurting over the weekend and he needs to find out for himself that eating isn't going to hurt so much.I will continue to offer the blended stuff for abit but its great that hes started to try greens.He will eat pellets so that's no problem but im hoping he will decide to try some hay.Fingers crossed.
Its interesting that you also mentioned that your bunnys teeth stopped growing after awhile.It would be good really if Bruces teeth did that especially as im putting off having him bonded while we try to get them manageable and im aware hes probably lonely even tho he has me hovering over him a lot.:lol:

It sounds as though Bruce is in excellent hands now with both you and your Vet. I am so glad that he has been started on abx as given what sounds to be quite significant Dental problems I would really want to err on the side of caution. He does not need a dental abscess added to the equation. Once his teet are properly sorted out he may manage a better diet, but if not at least he is now in the care of someone who will insure he receives all the treatment he needs. So pleased to hear that he will also be having Xrays too, they can be invaluable when assessing Dental Disease.

Can we see some pics of the little chap if/when you have time ? I like to put a fury face to a name :D

Thanks MightyMax.Well hes just started to eat torn up rocket.YAY!My vet said it may well be a matter of confidence as his teeth had been hurting over the weekend and he needs to find out for himself that eating isn't going to hurt so much.I will continue to offer the blended stuff for abit but its great that hes started to try greens.He will eat pellets so that's no problem but im hoping he will decide to try some hay.Fingers crossed.
Its interesting that you also mentioned that your bunnys teeth stopped growing after awhile.It would be good really if Bruces teeth did that especially as im putting off having him bonded while we try to get them manageable and im aware hes probably lonely even tho he has me hovering over him a lot.:lol:

Awww thanks for your reply Hoppetylop :D

Lovely to hear about the rocket ..... It sounds about right that he tries his teeth out to see what they can do.

I have to say it was a relief when my bun's teeth stopped growing, because although they are pretty badly aligned, at least he doesn't have the stress of repeated dentals. He does follow me around for titbits of course, and given his difficulty eating it's hard not to give in :shock:

Back