• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More bad news for Mack: Another check-up tonight (04/03)

Well, more mixed news from me.

Firstly he has actually maintained weight which is great, I think there may have been some fat to muscle conversion going on though because I swear he feels sleeker :lol:.

A couple of people had panicked texts at about 5pm when I cleaned him out so the wound was open for examination and I felt an odd texture on the cotton bud. I inserted my small finger into the cavity I have to admit I was almost sick when I realised it was because I'd struck bone :shock: where all the dead skin had sloughed away. There is also a suspect lump on his throat, very soft, but when I push on it I can see the inside of the cavity move....no discharge though. :?

So we rushed off to the vets with my heart in my mouth and went into consult a bit early. There is a lot of low grade infection in the skin which has given it a horrible grey appearence as opposed to a healthy pink one...in places I can pull it away with sterile tweeers :mrgreen:. What has apparently happened is that the infection is preventing the tissue from granulating and thus halting healing so until the infection is under control the skin will continue to fall away as it dies. Plus side is their is no pus, no smell and the inside of his mouth about the incisoral cavities is clear & healthy.

The lump is an unknown quantity at the moment, it's definately there but we don't know what it is. It may be inflammation, it may be the remains of his double chin (dewlap) or it could be another abcess. It will be monitored for changes for the time being....I don't really want to think about what we will have to do if it IS another abcess.

That brings us to the treatment plan. I have been told to source F10 online if I can as it will probably be cheaper than buying through the vets. Rob was very interested in the Ornicure & Intrasite Gel approach and has given the OK to proceed. He has given me a price on the Ornicure through them but told me I can have a prescription if I find it cheaper online. The Intrasite cost should be negligable ;). Hopefully the ornicure will kill the localised skin infection and the intrasite will encourage granulating and the formation of healthy tissue.

What I need to know, if Rodneyvet is about, is how often I am supposed to clean and then pack the wound with the Intasite mix?....So I know how much Orincure etc. to purchase.

Am writing this on my phone at the moment so can't give you the link for the F10 supplier. It was somewhere like Meadow healthcare - definitely had meadow in the title....

Blimey, the vets price on Ornicure is £15 cheaper than online....who'd have thought it? :shock:

Just a quick update:

Phil hs been caring for Mack whilst I am at my parents and had to give him his first injection yesterday, he ended up having it in two shots but it all went in in the end after operation "distract with copious amounts of carrot" was successful. Before I left on Friday I placed an overnight delivery order with my vets for Ornicure and Phil collected that and the Intrasite gel on the Friday after his dentist appointment.

Mack had his first gel treatment yesterday morning and the top of the cavity has been sealed with gauze to keep a scab from closing the wound as it dosn't now need changing until Tuesday...with the Ornicure/Intrasite mix the wound needs cleaning 2-3 times a week as opposed to twice a day!

I'm hopeful this will be a turining point for him and that the wound will now start to granulate and heal.

I'd like to add that my Fiance is an absolute star because he is not only needle phobiac but has a very weak stomach (couldn't watch those live autopsy programmes with me!) so to be able to deal with such a horrendous condition is a huge conquest for him. :love:

27th Feb

Just thought you all might like to know the gel mix IS WORKING :D:D:D

We have pink skin coming through, new blood vessels growing (as unfortunately the wound has started to bleed a little when cleaned) and no smell or pus. I was able to take the last of his stitches out yesterday evening and there appears to be no change in the soft lump by his throat, so it may well be a fatty desposit.

I'm really, really pleased with the way things are progressing at last. :)

Back