• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie's turn to not eat U/D coming home this evening

They've just been syringe feeding her because they were hopeful she'd perk up once they got more food in her gut. They're suggesting IV fluids now though.Should they xray first? I'm well out of my depth. If it was just her teeth hurting her surely the food she's been given should have got her gut moving and she should have pooed.

I've no idea if their insurance is going to cover this stuff but I can't really worry about the money... but I am because if I'm not made redundant then I have to reapply for a job and possibly take a pay cut. Why does everything have to come at once!

If you trust your vets I would be guided by them as to whether she is strong enough to withstand an X-ray.

I would definitely second the IV fluids. I have had a blockage diagnosed in a rabbit with a conscious ultrasound.

Good luck and keep going x

If they haven't had this type of episode before they were insured then insurance definitely covers it. It's essential treatment for potentially life threatening condition, so don't worry about the cover.

I've nothing to advise that Jane hasn't already. Sending loads of vibes.

Thanks. I've just been looking at the insurance info and I think it should be covered. It's not listed on the "we don't pay for" bit. A dental won't be because they've not been insured for 2 years, which is a load of rubbish because they aren't even 2 years old! She's got to get better though before they can do a dental. I'm feeling a bit helpless at home. All I can do is keep Maddie company, although she doesn't seem to be missing her sister :roll:

If you trust your vets I would be guided by them as to whether she is strong enough to withstand an X-ray.

I would definitely second the IV fluids. I have had a blockage diagnosed in a rabbit with a conscious ultrasound.

Good luck and keep going x

Do they have to go under GA for an xray? I hadn't considered that.

Kirotea, if you need a little moral support, don't forget I am happy to pop over, have a chat over a coffee if you feel like it. xx

Do they have to go under GA for an xray? I hadn't considered that.

No, not necessarily. Many of my Rabbits have had an abdominal Xray without sedation.

I really hope things start to improve for Millie, I can imagine how stressed you must be xx

There's still no change. They're going to do an xray and they said they shouldn't have to sedate her. They said she's bright in herself and has been wrestling the cage bars!

There's still no change. They're going to do an xray and they said they shouldn't have to sedate her. They said she's bright in herself and has been wrestling the cage bars!

Well it sounds as though she is still feisty, which is good. Do you know if they have allowed her to have some exercise ? Hopping about can help to get the GI tract moving. Also, she may not want to poo in her cage but she could decide that pooing on the floor is OK.

Well it sounds as though she is still feisty, which is good. Do you know if they have allowed her to have some exercise ? Hopping about can help to get the GI tract moving. Also, she may not want to poo in her cage but she could decide that pooing on the floor is OK.

The xray showed there's no blockage so that's good. They're going to keep syringe feeding and trying to tempt her with food. The vet just said actually they are going to keep letting her out for exercise to try and help. I expect the stress isn't helping but I expect it would be just as stressful being home and manhandled by me too and they can keep a better eye on her than I can.

The xray showed there's no blockage so that's good. They're going to keep syringe feeding and trying to tempt her with food. The vet just said actually they are going to keep letting her out for exercise to try and help. I expect the stress isn't helping but I expect it would be just as stressful being home and manhandled by me too and they can keep a better eye on her than I can.

Good news that the Xray showed no obstruction. Hopefully things will start moving with ongoing intensive care.

Topping up vibes for Millie, good news that there's no blockage. Hope the exercise will get things moving for her xxxx

This is really great news :thumb: It's a much more positive situation now that you know it's not a blockage!
Good luck to you and the vets ...... Hope she gets over this one soon xx

Hi Kirotea :wave: I'm afraid I have no practical advice but topping up the vibes for Millie.

I really do hope you get some positive news regarding the potential redundancy. It's awful having that hanging over you with all the worry you're having with Millie.

Good idea!

That is good news. These things can take time.

She's apparently eaten some carrot over night and passed a few poos. The vet's going to examine her again shortly and decide what to do next. A positive development at last! Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Glad to see some good news :D I hope she continues to improve.

Topping up the vibes for a speedy recovery. xx

Back