• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie's turn to not eat U/D coming home this evening

She's still not right. We'll be going back to the vets.

I've had the worse night ever. I'm not cut out for this. I'm useless at picking them up and it causes them a lot of stress. I had a panic attack at one point. I'm seriously thinking I need to rehome them because they need someone who can take care of them better. I feel like the most selfish person in the world but I don't think I can cope with it :(
I don't think anyone who loves their pets is cut out for the worry of caring for them when they are ill. You knew your bunny was not 'right', got her prompt vetrinary care, observe her eating closely, and gave her medications.
You also are asking RU for help, so please do not call yourself 'selfish'.
When caring for sick bunnies, sometimes my hand would shake and my heart would pound. I know you can do it if you don't worry so much about doing something wrong.

I'm so sorry Millie is poorly, I hope she is feeling better soon. Its such a worry!

I initially felt overwhelmed two weeks ago when Milo went into stasis, it was awful, I was struggling to syringe feed him and give medicine. Its a case of taking a deep breath and telling yourself you CAN do it. I would put Milo on a towel on the worktop and put my arm around his bum and hold him close to my body so he can't wiggle backwards. The syringe would go in behind his front teeth.

If you are really overwhelmed you could always ask for Millie to be admitted? I hope she improves soon! Good luck with teeth and everything else! If you need any help at all feel free to PM me. I can only share what I learned but if it will help i'll be glad to talk to you! x

Try not to beat yourself up over this. I know very well the feeling of dealing with a bunny in stasis and it is absolutely awful.

Best of luck today. x

She's still not right. We'll be going back to the vets.

I've had the worse night ever. I'm not cut out for this. I'm useless at picking them up and it causes them a lot of stress. I had a panic attack at one point. I'm seriously thinking I need to rehome them because they need someone who can take care of them better. I feel like the most selfish person in the world but I don't think I can cope with it :(

Kirotea, I have only just caught up with this thread.....sorry to hear about Millie. If I can help in any way, I am live only a few minutes from Evesham so would be happy to come over. I have felt like you too many times over the years, but still got my bunnies....and of course care for those belonging to others too.

I'm sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Please don't be hard on yourself. Rabbits are not always the easiest of patients and even the most experienced people can still struggle if a bunny is particularly uncooperative.

That is a lovely offer from Mrs Bunnykins. :love: It is often easier with two people and you might discover different techniques for handling and administering meds.

Sending lots of vibes for Millie and a hug for you xx

Kirotea, I have only just caught up with this thread.....sorry to hear about Millie. If I can help in any way, I am live only a few minutes from Evesham so would be happy to come over. I have felt like you too many times over the years, but still got my bunnies....and of course care for those belonging to others too.

Thanks for your offer Mrs B. I've got your number because I'm supposed to be coming to see your boarding and I so nearly called you, but it was 10pm and we haven't met yet!

Millie's been admitted. It's been 24 hours and she's only eaten 3 rocket leaves, half a fenugreek crunchie and whatever of the pellets I've managed to syringe feed. They're going to try and get her eating over night and ring me in the morning. I'm exhausted and I found out today they're making redundancies at my work. I'm a bit emotional!

I took Millie to the vets alone because we couldn't get Maddie in the box. So she's there alone. Should they have stayed together? I feel terrible separating them.

Thanks for your offer Mrs B. I've got your number because I'm supposed to be coming to see your boarding and I so nearly called you, but it was 10pm and we haven't met yet!

Millie's been admitted. It's been 24 hours and she's only eaten 3 rocket leaves, half a fenugreek crunchie and whatever of the pellets I've managed to syringe feed. They're going to try and get her eating over night and ring me in the morning. I'm exhausted and I found out today they're making redundancies at my work. I'm a bit emotional!

I took Millie to the vets alone because we couldn't get Maddie in the box. So she's there alone. Should they have stayed together? I feel terrible separating them.

I am sorry that you are having such a stressful time and that Millie is still not well. I expect the Vet would have had to keep Millie and Maddie in separate cages for some of the time so the Vet could monitor Millie's input and output. Also, if they put an IV line in then they would not want Maddie to mess with it. So dont worry too much about separating them.

I really hope that Millie starts to respond to treatment overnight and that your fears about the security of your job turn out to be unfounded.

I am sorry that you are having such a stressful time and that Millie is still not well. I expect the Vet would have had to keep Millie and Maddie in separate cages for some of the time so the Vet could monitor Millie's input and output. Also, if they put an IV line in then they would not want Maddie to mess with it. So dont worry too much about separating them.

I really hope that Millie starts to respond to treatment overnight and that your fears about the security of your job turn out to be unfounded.

Thanks Jane. Hopefully they'll get her eating, I thought it was best to admit her because they can do a much better job than me at syringing etc.

I'm not sure Maddie has noticed yet because she was just doing binkys and tried to eat my papers about the redundancy process :roll:

Thanks Jane. Hopefully they'll get her eating, I thought it was best to admit her because they can do a much better job than me at syringing etc.

I'm not sure Maddie has noticed yet because she was just doing binkys and tried to eat my papers about the redundancy process :roll:

I think you have definitely done the right thing by getting Millie admitted. Hopefully you will receive good news about her in the morning.

Maddie appears to be making her views on the redundancy process clear !!

Sorry I have only yet caught up with your thread. I feel for you .. It's the most horrible sinking feeling, but she is in the best place now.

I don't think it matters at all that you've had to separate them. Good for the vet to monitor what's going on - my vet is always very concerned to know what's happening to the sick one!

Sorry you have issues (or potential ones maybe?) at work - can't help things can it ... But try and relax a bit if you can.
You've done your very best xx

Sorry, I missed all this.I think it is very overwhelming when they are ill, its normal, so don't beat yourself up over it. Sending lots of vibes for her and hugs for you xx

The vets just called. She's still not eating and hasn't pooed either. She's going to get another opinion from another vet when they get in in a bit. I don't know what to do now. Does she need an xray to see if there's definitely no blockage?

The vets just called. She's still not eating and hasn't pooed either. She's going to get another opinion from another vet when they get in in a bit. I don't know what to do now. Does she need an xray to see if there's definitely no blockage?

I would suggest this to be pretty essential now. Also a blood test to see what her blood glucose level is and how her Liver and Kidneys are functioning. Is she on IV fluids ?

Millions more vibes being sent xx

I would suggest this to be pretty essential now. Also a blood test to see what her blood glucose level is and how her Liver and Kidneys are functioning. Is she on IV fluids ?

Millions more vibes being sent xx

They've just been syringe feeding her because they were hopeful she'd perk up once they got more food in her gut. They're suggesting IV fluids now though.Should they xray first? I'm well out of my depth. If it was just her teeth hurting her surely the food she's been given should have got her gut moving and she should have pooed.

I've no idea if their insurance is going to cover this stuff but I can't really worry about the money... but I am because if I'm not made redundant then I have to reapply for a job and possibly take a pay cut. Why does everything have to come at once!

They've just been syringe feeding her because they were hopeful she'd perk up once they got more food in her gut. They're suggesting IV fluids now though.Should they xray first? I'm well out of my depth. If it was just her teeth hurting her surely the food she's been given should have got her gut moving and she should have pooed.

I've no idea if their insurance is going to cover this stuff but I can't really worry about the money... but I am because if I'm not made redundant then I have to reapply for a job and possibly take a pay cut. Why does everything have to come at once!

If they haven't had this type of episode before they were insured then insurance definitely covers it. It's essential treatment for potentially life threatening condition, so don't worry about the cover.

I've nothing to advise that Jane hasn't already. Sending loads of vibes.

Back