• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie at out of hour vets

Sorry Jane I know you are :( i know I'm being selfish and everyone is going through stuff at the moment , I am not a strong person when it comes to my bunnies. I just don't think straight because I love them so much :, (

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Can you try making some changes to the position of things in Toby's room. Move the Ikea beds and the plastic chairs to to a new spot, put a few empty cardboard boxes into the room. Sometimes this can help as many Rabbits will retain some degree of being inquisitive to new things.

What a distressing situation to be in :(

I think the main priority is to get Toby eating. I would first of all do that by sitting with him and encouraging him to eat some of his favourite foods. I would not at this stage be too concerned if he chooses to eat different food to normal. So if he wants to eat lots of forage rather than pellets, I would go along with that as long as you think he is eating enough to keep his gut working properly. Perhap get him some sticks to chew, which would be something interesting to keep him occupied, so that he doesn't just sit and think. As a last resort, if you don't think he's eating enough, I would top him up with syringe feeds.

Sending more hugs.

I am new here so apologise for making silly suggestions, but I assume Toby hasn't got the same issue that affected Milly?

Richard

Last edited:
Good idea Jane. I will make him some activities today. He is grinding his teeth a lot and seems to want to go outside of my bedroom. I don't know if he's looking for her or wants to go explore. But he was too timid to explore he would only ever follow Millies lead. He's eaten some hay now a few pellets. I have taken the day off work so will be keeping an eye on him

What a distressing situation to be in :(

I think the main priority is to get Toby eating. I would first of all do that by sitting with him and encouraging him to eat some of his favourite foods. I would not at this stage be too concerned if he chooses to eat different food to normal. So if he wants to eat lots of forage rather than pellets, I would go along with that as long as you think he is eating enough to keep his gut working properly. Perhap get him some sticks to chew, which would be something interesting to keep him occupied, so that he doesn't just sit and think. As a last resort, if you don't think he's eating enough, I would top him up with syringe feeds.

Sending more hugs.
That's what I was thinking omi, I have critical care here if it comes too it. I don't believe he's any stasis yet

I am new here so apologise for making silly suggestions, but I assume Toby hasn't got the same issue that affected Milly?
Well apperntly Millie had an underlying gut issue. She had a episode last month. Unfortunately we was going to do further tests bloods ga xray etc this time but she didn't make it through the night. :( last time we put it down to over eating, or something she ate upset her tummy. We didn't realise it would be a reoccurring problem. Toby is nearly two and never had a problems *touch wood* . I really hope it is not the same thing :(

I have been thinking about the harlequin curse :(

Could Toby be picking up on your anxiety? Buns are very intuitive and I have found in the past when I have been particularly stressed about one of them they have picked up on this and it has exacerbated their condition. I know you are feeling dreadful and it's the last thing you feel like, but could you try to do some 'fun' things with Toby today? Hide treats and 'help' him find them? Reorganising his room is a good idea too.

When Mr Chocolate Fudge Cake (guinea-pig) died, Mr Apple Crumble stopped eating much and was clearly very unhappy. I work long hours and ended up rehoming another piggy from PAH adoption in desperation. Mr Tiramasu was 'old' PAH stock and while I don't really agree with them selling animals, I could not find a single male piggy in rescue quickly enough for Mr Apple Crumble. The bond was easy and Mr Apple Crumble recovered and is still with us:):)

I know you are looking for a companion for Toby and will keep my eyes out for you too. As I said in my text, I am happy to help in any way I can xxxxx

Jane, Omi and Rihanna have all given really good advice and there's nothing really I can add. Just going to send you lots of virtual hugs as I know how worrying and upsetting it is when you have a bun who doesn't appear to be coping well with the loss of their friend [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Toby is coping well. He just hunkers down and doesn't really move. Yesterday I was feeding him on his bed and was eating. Today he has only had a nibble on some dandelion and plaintan he's not touched pellets or digestive stick yet. Usually he buzzes and zooms around. This is worse than loosing any of my buns because not only am I grieving for Millie, but I have to worry about Toby . It's a new experience for me and is really breaking my heart

I'm sorry to hear this :(

Grief affects rabbits in different ways. I know one of mine was completely distraught and panic stricken when bereaved, even though sat with the body for a long time and saw it happen.

The only thing I could do was give more attention, and love. I then decided to re-bond, as that was the only thing that would help.

Another got very depressed and wouldn't get out of bed. Again, I had to find a mate to stimulate them to activity again.

Hugs for you xx

Well apperntly Millie had an underlying gut issue. She had a episode last month. Unfortunately we was going to do further tests bloods ga xray etc this time but she didn't make it through the night. :( last time we put it down to over eating, or something she ate upset her tummy. We didn't realise it would be a reoccurring problem. Toby is nearly two and never had a problems *touch wood* . I really hope it is not the same thing :(

I have been thinking about the harlequin curse :(

:( Oh gosh, do you have one of those too? I've actually referred to a harlequin curse I felt I had in the past but *touch wood* not recently.

We had a reasonably enjoyable day yesterday. We made loads of forage activities, moved some bits round and was in and out of Tobys room all day. He seems to like my company and is quite active however he will just sleep when I'm not around. I am off again today and I couldn't sleep again last night so I've made in my head more activities we are going to do today. Finishing Tobys new room was a good distraction and o kept thinking positively like "we have to finish this, then Toby can have as many friends as possible soon." I definitely believe he can pick up on my anxiety. Seeing Toby groom himself is so weird, Millie was always making sure Toby looked good, I loved it when she would lift his ears and clean inside.

I have a few things over and over going through my mind.

She ate whole breakfast at 9.00

Refused a treat 1.00

Got to anton vets 2.00

Very active still, glucose 9

Plonk-o-gram revealed NAD

Gut sounds one side, poop side no sounds

Admired with fluids, syringe feeding, drugs etc

Then died at 4.00 in the morning with Toby found next to her.

I keep thinking....what the hell happened!!!

She must of suffered horrendously which I can't get out of my head

What if she had the beginning of a blockage and the meds killed her?

What if I took her TOO quickly to the vets to get an accurate picture of what was developing

Why didn't I so all the tests at the last episode? Like the GA xray. I didn't want to stress her out but maybe if I did my baby would still be here

What if her staying their over night was too stressful and that tipped her over the edge . She has never been in a cage and now confined to a run it must of been stressful.

What is she was so scared she had a heart attack

Millie didn't want to die, she wasn't ready, in her last hours she was still a bright eyed happy girl. She loved us and she loved Toby. I'm truly gutted for her as she's going to miss out on so much. I know she would of been in agony and she didn't deserve this. She was so sweet and affectionate. She enjoyed every minute of every day. She was taken too soon :, ( it's not fair

Toby enjoying a forage with different types of hay this morning
4728bcfbc5b3491300008a9dadf0e385.jpg
2136dd578284810374fe2b3d011223f4.jpg

Sending hugs to you this morning. I think it's only natural to keep going over and over the events leading to Millie's death. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you :(

It's good to see Toby eating. I hope you both have another good day together. I also hope that you will be able to make some firm plans for some new friends for him soon. If only so that you regain occupancy of a bedroom :lol:

Let me know if I can help. It's excruciatingly painful, I know :(

I am going over and over in my mind what's going on with my rabbit. I think it's natural to blame ourselves, as they are so helpless and rely on us. But we in turn rely on professionals, and I have only ever heard good reports of the vets you use. Can you speak to the vet there about it to get some answers? I think you need closure on some of these points whilst it's fresh in the vets' minds.

Thank you :( I might try the rwaf bereavement line as im mot coping too well at the moment. People might think I'm crazy but our whole life revolves around those bunnies. We feel there is a hole in our family now, and I'm worried sick about Toby.

I don't think you're crazy. I think the rwaf bereavement line might provide some help. I also think it's very natural that you would worry about Toby.

Btw your inbox has been full and not acepting pms since this morning :)

Back