• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Millie again - burring without GA?

louandjoe

Alpha Buck
After Millie's episode of not eating/pooing on Saturday, I thought I'd take her to the vets today to get her checked for underlying problems.

Anyway, saw a vet I've not seen before and he seemed to take an awful long time looking in her mouth, like he didn't know what he was looking for or was struggling. He said he could see something at the very back of her mouth, couldn't make out if it was food or a tooth :shock: but then he said it's a really long tooth, longer than all the other. He said there was no ulceration that he could see but there might be some down the back. He said he would need to have her under GA to check it out and burr it down, I did ask he it could be done without and he said no, it's more dangerous as a bun could hurt themselves struggling.

I didn't book her in for the GA as I'm not convinced he knew what he was talking about, and Hilda suggested a better vet in the local area who I will try tomorrow I think. Does anyone know of a vet in the Cheshire area that would burr teeth without GA?

Millie was a very good girl throughout being examined but is very quiet now, I think he might have hurt her when he was looking in her mouth :? :(

Last edited:
After Millie's episode of not eating/pooing on Saturday, I thought I'd take her to the vets today to get her checked for underlying problems.

Anyway, saw a vet I've not seen before and he seemed to take an awful long time looking in her mouth, like he didn't know what he was looking for or was struggling. He said he could see something at the very back of her mouth, couldn't make out if it was food or a tooth :shock: but then he said it's a really long tooth, longer than all the other. He said there was no ulceration that he could see but there might be some down the back. He said he would need to have her under GA to check it out and burr it down, I did ask he it could be done without and he said no, it's more dangerous as a bun could hurt themselves struggling.

I didn't book her in for the GA as I'm not convinced he knew what he was talking about, and Hilda suggested a better vet in the local area who I will try tomorrow I think. Does anyone know of a vet in the Cheshire area that would burr teeth without GA?

Millie was a very good girl throughout being examined but is very quiet now, I think he might have hurt her when he was looking in her mouth :? :(

IMO it is not possible to do a *thorough* Dental on a conscious Rabbit. My Vet does hundreds and hundreds of Bunny Dentals and she says doing them without GA is pointless as you can only do a 'half-job' and you may actually exacerbate a molar malocclusion. She said that the risk of GA is *less* than the risk of longterm problems that 'incomplete' molar burring can cause.

Janex

Thanks Jane, that's good to know. I will most definately try the other vets tho as Hilda did say the vets I went to has had a few problems with long recovery from GA :?

Bunny Babe, I don't have a PM!

:wave:

My little dotty had her teeth burred on fridya without GA and has been fine since, admittedly she is not back to eating her enormous amounts BUT is eating lots of hay and veggie bits. she is active and seems back to her old self more or less. took her to vets tonight as concerned her poos were a little small but vet not worried as they the same colour, texture etc as harry's (i brough in 3 for comparison x2 dot x1 harry - sad i know!) so feel a lot happier, at the end of the day she is eating ots of hay and running around so i feel a lot happier, plus i would be worried about her going under GA.
not being so gutsy (bless her!) could be due to the stress of vets etc and being prodded and poked but when the procedure was being done, she was held by a nurse and was really good, didnt struggle.

i know the hwole teeth under GA vs not GA is up for debate but i was happy and dot seems totally fine and suited her.
my vets would rather not doa ga as it can be problematic...

not sure if many would agree with me but thought i would put it out there...

:D

really?? thats good!! i think it depends on the type of rabbit maybe !? in some respects i would rather it as ga can have bad effects on a bun but then without if they mess up it means the bun in pain, apparently it just feels odd... it couldnt of hurt as she ate hay when she came in more or less straight away!!! after the dentist we cant eat for a while so must be fine!! :lol:

Homer has his done once a month conscious but as Jane mentions they can not do a "thorough" one without GA. Homer has just had a GA and was fine immediately after. I must admit, he is a pretty laid back bunny though.

Just taken Millie to a different vet, as recommended by Hilda (Thanks Hilda! :wave:) and she was great with Mavis & Millie, and said Millie's teeth are fine :?

I explained about the not eating etc and she said I was doing everything right, there wasn't any problems with either girlies teeth and their diet was really good.

Could it be the scent of the new bun, Bella that has stressed or upset Mavis & Millie this week, and made them feel a bit off-colour?

That is good news. Glad you found a good vet. Can you PM me to let me know her name too just in case mine is not around as I have not found anyone else I trust with regards to teeth.

Hey, the vet is Fiona Hughes at the Willow Vetinarary Surgery, High Street, Winsford. She was really good with the buns! x

Hey, the vet is Fiona Hughes at the Willow Vetinarary Surgery, High Street, Winsford. She was really good with the buns! x

She is my vet. I won't let anyone else touch my rabbits. She is so rabbit savvy and really honest. In the past I have questioned her reasons for certain treatments/ medicines and she will happily explain rather than get her back up like most vets :roll:

Weirdly one of my old rabbits Jake, had overgrown dental spurs from 7years old until he died at almost 14 years old. The first few years she did him with a GA ( he had about 3 a year) but then the latter she discussed the risks with me and admitted honestly that she had never ever done it before but because he was such a calm, gentle bun would I let her try to do it with him awake. She promised she would stop if he got stressed. He had it done countless times and everytime he came back from the vets he would tuck into some food immediately! ;) He also never got stressed in the vets. When he passed away (due to kidney failure from old age) I sent her a thankyou card, for everything she did for him, especially toward his later years. I swear he would of not made it to 14 without her help ;)

Last edited:
She is my vet. I won't let anyone else touch my rabbits. She is so rabbit savvy and really honest. In the past I have questioned her reasons for certain treatments/ medicines and she will happily explain rather than get her back up like most vets :roll:

Weirdly one of my old rabbits Jake, had overgrown dental spurs from 7years old until he died at almost 14 years old. The first few years she did him with a GA ( he had about 3 a year) but then the latter she discussed the risks with me and admitted honestly that she had never ever done it before but because he was such a calm, gentle bun would I let her try to do it with him awake. She promised she would stop if he got stressed. He had it done countless times and everytime he came back from the vets he would tuck into some food immediately! ;) He also never got stressed in the vets. When he passed away (due to kidney failure from old age) I sent her a thankyou card, for everything she did for him, especially toward his later years. I swear he would of not made it to 14 without her help ;)

She was certainly great with my ladies and I'll definately being going back to her :D

Back