• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Might be a stupid question but.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe the go to petshops and say they 'prefer it' to cover up the fact their housing/budget/accomodation etc isnt to the requirements of a rescue anyway

Totally agree with that one :evil:

Maybe some people rehome buns to make way for cuter younger baby buns.......:(

...and that one :evil:
I think it's the thrill of having something new.

...and that one :evil:

Actually Rhia is past that cute stage now, better get rid :rolleyes:

Last edited:
i think the majority of people when they jopined this forum had just purchased a rabbit from pet shop or breeder. i had! loads of people had! but then their eyes were opened to the sad fact of thousands of rabbits sitting in rescues every year, and adopt now.

its learning from your mistakes. of course none of us would change any of petshop buns for the world because they are out pets and we love them, but that doesnt mean we didnt make a mistake.

i think the majority of people when they jopined this forum had just purchased a rabbit from pet shop or breeder. i had! loads of people had! but then their eyes were opened to the sad fact of thousands of rabbits sitting in rescues every year, and adopt now.

its learning from your mistakes. of course none of us would change any of petshop buns for the world because they are out pets and we love them, but that doesnt mean we didnt make a mistake.

Totally agree, I found this site just after getting Bugys, wouldn't change her for the world, but went to a rescue and got Joey. All my future buns will be rescue.

I've got two and a half pet shop animals at the moment, two I've had for five years and four years respectively and the other was a stray that I couldn't catch and my friend who owns a petshop caught him and took him in, I took him from him as his owners didn't come forward

I love adult buns and rescues in particular because you can look into their eyes and see a lot of the trauma they've been through before they arrived at a 'safe place'.

Eyes are the window to the soul ;)

The best feeling in the world is getting a 'damaged' rabbit to trust humans again

Rescues are so important not just for rabbits but for any animal after all if no one took in those dogs that are abused and terrified of humans we could end up being over run with 'viscious' dogs loose on the streets because no one cared enough to adopt one and give it a chance*

If no one went to a rescue then there'd be animals on the street 'cos every rescue has to hit its limit at some point and often the rehabilitation they do with those abused buns is just the very first step, if no one gave those animals a chance then nothing would ever change.

On another note, all mine are past the fluffy stage except Ted 'cos he's an idiot :roll::lol: best dump them in the local park

*I know thats a dodgy example :oops:*

I think its quite sad that there can be quite a heavy judgemental element to this forum. I, for one, was quite scared to post when Cookie got in with Domino incase people had a go at me. The reason I did post was because I love my rabbits and wanted some good advice to help me deal with an unfortunate situation.

Can everyone please remember, we are all animal lovers here and this forum should be about advice and support. Surely if you have a problem with a persons actions/behaviour it would be best dealt with in a pm rather than slating a person in public.

I think its quite sad that there can be quite a heavy judgemental element to this forum. I, for one, was quite scared to post when Cookie got in with Domino incase people had a go at me. The reason I did post was because I love my rabbits and wanted some good advice to help me deal with an unfortunate situation.

Can everyone please remember, we are all animal lovers here and this forum should be about advice and support. Surely if you have a problem with a persons actions/behaviour it would be best dealt with in a pm rather than slating a person in public.

But to publicly come out and say on a rabbit rehome site that you wouldn't go to a rescue, when there is loads of fab people on here who dedicate their lives to rabbit's isn't a great thing to do.

But to publicly come out and say on a rabbit rehome site that you wouldn't go to a rescue, when there is loads of fab people on here who dedicate their lives to rabbit's isn't a great thing to do.

I'm entitled to say what I want where I want, there's no law saying I can't say what I want on this forum;) and if I want to say I love getting buns from breeders not rescues then that is what I will say.

i would like to add that the 'certain thread' that this was said in was posted months ago why bring it up now? im sorry but people can be a little judgemental and the member that this threads all about she hasnt rehomed that many pets 2 guinea Pigs and 1 rabbit all for good reasons would yous have been happier if she'd kept Theo and have him in a hutch that was to small for him? or the Guinea Pigs that she didnt feel strongly for neglected? no yous wouldnt yous would have thought why keep them if she cant look after them :roll: yes maybe using her illness as a cover was wrong but im sure shes learnt from this and it wont happen again why cant we bury this now before it gets out of hand?

i dont see anywhere in the rules for this forum that you have to be pro-rescue to be a member :? so why drive members off for this reason?

although in the future i personally will rescue not turn to petshops/breeders.

I'm entitled to say what I want where I want, there's no law saying I can't say what I want on this forum;) and if I want to say I love getting buns from breeders not rescues then that is what I will say.

I wasn't being horrible to you, just pointing out why that comment would upset a lot of people on this forum as they dedicate thier lives to rescue's.

Yes but not everyone is always going to agree on everything, what connects us is our love for rabbits (and other animals) but we are always going to have different views and opinions. Im neither sticking up for or condemning the person your talking about here, no-one can deny that the rescues do an amazing job. But dont you think when people are worried about posting something because of the fear of the back-lash it might have then that defeats one of the reasons that the forum is here for - advice and support. Im not the only one who has started a thread saying "Please dont slate me but........."

Yes but not everyone is always going to agree on everything, what connects us is our love for rabbits (and other animals) but we are always going to have different views and opinions. Im neither sticking up for or condemning the person your talking about here, no-one can deny that the rescues do an amazing job. But dont you think when people are worried about posting something because of the fear of the back-lash it might have then that defeats one of the reasons that the forum is here for - advice and support. Im not the only one who has started a thread saying "Please dont slate me but........."

Neither have I, I have simply stated my option that i think it was insenstive to post that about rescue's. I personally wouldn't as I admire the people on here who work so hard and also will always going to resue's. At no point was I horrible to Vikki*and*the*buns.

I'm thinking this thread may also be about me??

I don't plan on getting anymore, my last three were from rescues/adoption schemes.
I would never buy a bunf rom a pet shop again, I don't even go to shops which sell animals anymore :(

Last edited:
Neither have I, I have simply stated my option that i think it was insenstive to post that about rescue's. I personally wouldn't as I admire the people on here who work so hard and also will always going to resue's. At no point was I horrible to Vikki*and*the*buns.

No I know you havent been horrible and thats the trouble with this type of thread, it just runs away with us, things getting taken out of context etc. Normally I stay out of things like this because ive seen too many arguments on here for my liking and Ive only been a member a relatively short time:roll:

I just like everyone to get on but thats probably just me living in my fluffy little bunny world and not really reality:lol:

I never said you were, I was merely pointing out to you that I can, just as you can, say what you want about anything.

Sometimes people only post controversial comments to get attention :)
If a person is aware of the unwanted Pet Rabbit situation yet still choose to buy from a Petshop/Breeder that is their 'right'

In this life we all have 'rights'. Sadly we often forget that with 'rights' come 'responsibilities'

Janex

I can never understand why people get animals on a whim anyway :? I don't mean anyone in particular on here, but I don't understand why people keep changing thier pets around just because they couldn't cope with what they had, if they couldn't cope, why get more? :?

Sorry, in a funny mood.

Personally, even if this thread may have been intentionally directed at certain members (which i wasn't aware of it being?) it is still a valid thread. There are lots of people outside of this forum that it can apply to.

Rabbits United - Working In Harmony for a Better Future.

Surely a Better Furture is without pet shops, where they can be sold to whoever may come along. Yes it may be some one who loves them but it could well be someone who will put them in the cheapest (smallest) possible cage and then gets board of them or worse still for bate or to take down the park to watch their dog tear it apart!
Buying a bun or any pet from a shop makes them breed more as there is a demand. So anyone buying from a petshop is only adding to a problem and therefore not creating a great future. Ok so some people buy their first bun from a shop but they learn by their mistakes and I'm sure most people who bought a bun and now knows about rescues would now go to a rescue.
A better furture is one without pets being sold in shops and the only way to do this is to decrease the demand.
I'm sure all of the people who rescue would be happy if the rescues were empty but this will neve happen until there are no animals in petshops.

Sorry I feel strongly about this. I'm not having a go at anyone personally this is just my opinion.

Abbie x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back