• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malocclusion - Oscar to have incisors out - another op

It's now 5 days since Oscar's second op. Iain is pleased with the results but we have had mega problems in getting poor Oscar to eat. He is still on gut meds and metacam. The Penstrep injections have been reduced to every other day because of his gut issues. He is still not eating of his own accord and we have been syringe feeding him every 1 - 2 hours. He has lost more weight. His poo until today has amounted to about 6 small pellets. That said he has been quite cheerful in himself and doesn't look uncomfortable or in pain. Yesterday we managed to get more into him but by this morning his poo output was no better. We were really disparing though Oscar didn't give the impression of giving up. Today though we have seen a real improvement in the volume and size of his poo and he is now more actively searching for the end of the syringe so things are hopefully on the up though he still eats almost nothing from his herbs,grated veg etc and won't touch any of the 7 types of hay from the Hay Experts.

Please can dear Oscar have some more vibes to keep him going. Thank you.

It sounds like he's making progress, albeit slowly. You must be rather drained with it all - so sorry!

Loads of vibes for Oscar and strength for you x

It's now 5 days since Oscar's second op. Iain is pleased with the results but we have had mega problems in getting poor Oscar to eat. He is still on gut meds and metacam. The Penstrep injections have been reduced to every other day because of his gut issues. He is still not eating of his own accord and we have been syringe feeding him every 1 - 2 hours. He has lost more weight. His poo until today has amounted to about 6 small pellets. That said he has been quite cheerful in himself and doesn't look uncomfortable or in pain. Yesterday we managed to get more into him but by this morning his poo output was no better. We were really disparing though Oscar didn't give the impression of giving up. Today though we have seen a real improvement in the volume and size of his poo and he is now more actively searching for the end of the syringe so things are hopefully on the up though he still eats almost nothing from his herbs,grated veg etc and won't touch any of the 7 types of hay from the Hay Experts.

Please can dear Oscar have some more vibes to keep him going. Thank you.

It sounds as though he did have a better day yesterday and I really hope that the improvement will now continue xx

How's Oscar doing today, Elizabeth?

Topping up the vibes xx

Thank you for asking MightyMax. He seems to be continuing to improve. There were about 50 good poos by this morning and he has had some Science Selective and herbs on his own so we are reducing the syringe feeding bit we really need to build his strength up. As we speak he is nudging at my foot - I like to think he is asking for more but bet that he turns his nose up at every tasty thing put in front of him and eats a manky bit of shredded cabbage from yesterday!

Thank you for asking MightyMax. He seems to be continuing to improve. There were about 50 good poos by this morning and he has had some Science Selective and herbs on his own so we are reducing the syringe feeding bit we really need to build his strength up. As we speak he is nudging at my foot - I like to think he is asking for more but bet that he turns his nose up at every tasty thing put in front of him and eats a manky bit of shredded cabbage from yesterday!

Ahh thank you for replying :)

I've had so many buns have their teeth out and poor Oscar was very unlucky not to sail through it.

It sounds like you and he are going great guns though. So glad to hear he's eating on his own. He needs his strength and the vitamins to heal up.

Maybe the nudging is getting back to being friends again after feeling so rough :)

Malocclusion - Oscar to have incisors out - another op - and now an abscess

Oscar is eating better and I think he has put on a bit of weight since last week. He is certainly more active and back more to his Oscar self. All in the right direction - then this morning we realised that the jaw abscess he had removed last September is back :cry:. We have brought forward his appointment with Iain Cope from Wednesday to tomorrow morning. Last time while it grew quite quickly it was not actually attached to a tooth nor had it invaded his jaw bone. Just so unfair after what he has been through.

Loads of vibes for Oscar please.

Oscar is eating better and I think he has put on a bit of weight since last week. He is certainly more active and back more to his Oscar self. All in the right direction - then this morning we realised that the jaw abscess he had removed last September is back :cry:. We have brought forward his appointment with Iain Cope from Wednesday to tomorrow morning. Last time while it grew quite quickly it was not actually attached to a tooth nor had it invaded his jaw bone. Just so unfair after what he has been through.

Loads of vibes for Oscar please.

It's terribly unfair :(

I have to say I had a bun who seems to have suffered quite like Oscar, and it was none stop care. I'm so glad you've got a decent vet. I really had to advocate for my rabbit, as when I asked my vet for daily pen injections she said it would kill him :shock:

Good luck for tomorrow. All fingers crossed for him xx

Gosh I now know how poor bunnies suffer with jaw abscesses etc,nearly two weeks ago I got one in my lower left incisor.The ****** swelled up like a balloon in two days,off to the dentist .X rays taken etc,antibiotics given ,back in two days..no way I was back the next morning!Got the tooth pulled,jeez the muck that came out.Double dose of heavy duty antibiotics given as the x ray showed the infection was in the jawbone too_Ok now ,but flippin' heck,came from nowhere.I attend the dentist every six months etc...man!

We are back from seeing Iain. Cope. He is really pleased with how Oscar's gums are healing after the second op. However, he confirmed the return of the abscess but said it probably isn't that surprising given what is happening in the area and the extra wet and mess from syringe feeding. Oscar has put on a tiny bit of weight which is the right direction. Iain wants to give the gums a few more days so Oscar is booked in for abscess removal on Friday and in the meantime we continue to get him to eat as much as possible and continue with the metacam, antibiotics and gut meds. He is due his myxi and RHD1 jab this week but we agreed to postpone it for the time being and he did have the RHD1&2 last summer.In himself he is definitely brighter than last week but obviously another op while essential is far from ideal.

Last edited:
We are back from seeing Iain. Cope. He is really pleased with how Oscar's gums are healing after the second op. However, he confirmed the return of the abscess but said it probably isn't that surprising given what is happening in the area and the extra wet and mess from syringe feeding. Oscar has put on a tiny bit of weight which is the right direction. Iain wants to give the gums a few more days so Oscar is booked in for access removal on Friday and in the meantime we continue to get him to eat as much as possible and continue with the metacam, antibiotics and gut meds. He is due his myxi and RHD1 jab this week but we agreed to postpone it for the time being and he did have the RHD1&2 last summer.In himself he is definitely brighter than last week but obviously another op while essential is far from ideal.

Goodness what a lot poor Oscar is having to cope with. It's good news that his gums are healing, but I am really sorry that he faces more surgery for the abscess. Sending many more vibes for him xx

Sending lots of vibes for Oscar's abscess removal on Friday. I'm sorry he has to have more work done on him.

It seems to be really positive news that his gums are healing though. What a brave boy :love:

We are back from seeing Iain. Cope. He is really pleased with how Oscar's gums are healing after the second op. However, he confirmed the return of the abscess but said it probably isn't that surprising given what is happening in the area and the extra wet and mess from syringe feeding. Oscar has put on a tiny bit of weight which is the right direction. Iain wants to give the gums a few more days so Oscar is booked in for abscess removal on Friday and in the meantime we continue to get him to eat as much as possible and continue with the metacam, antibiotics and gut meds. He is due his myxi and RHD1 jab this week but we agreed to postpone it for the time being and he did have the RHD1&2 last summer.In himself he is definitely brighter than last week but obviously another op while essential is far from ideal.

I'm glad to hear that his gums are healing well. But poor Oscar! Another operation. I bet you're worried, and I would be too.

Abcesses (as I'm sure you know) are often very slow growing and I really hope Oscar's weight moves in the right direction to make him sturdy enough for Friday x

Hugs for you. You must be worn out with it all x

Oscar is in good hands, yours and the vets. I am sending you both more positive vibes. You must be doing a great job with the syringe feeding for him to actually put on weight under these conditions.

Thank you everyone. Yes we are knackered but hopefully it will all work out for Oscar. He is OK this morning but holding his head up a bit because of the abscess but Iain felt that the risks of removing it straight away were too great. I think he actually quite likes the critical care syringe fed but we have changed it a bit so rather than mix up a bit of Ella's Kitchen baby food in with the critical care most of the syringe is critical care with a little Ella's at the end and certainly when he gets to that bit there is no stopping him!
His pooing is still very inconsistent but at least something is coming out.

Oscar had his op for jaw abscess removal this afternoon. The abscess was in a separate capsule so not attached to his jaw directly which is a relief but quite a lot of puss. Iain has also removed some spare skin before stitching him up. He was slow to come round after the anaesthetic so we have agreed that he will stay there tonight as its quite a long journey home and it's snowing. They will top up his plain relief if necessary and start syringe feeding. Still feeling very apprehensive.

Back