• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malocclusion - Oscar to have incisors out - another op

Oscar is back from the vets though still a bit groggy. He had dead tissue removed from both his lower and upper jaw and a skin flap from the upper one plus new stitches. He is on an upped dose of metacam and daily Penstrep injections plus he had subcutaneous fluids and gut stimulant. He has peed but no poo yet. We will be syringe feeding him though he hates it. Keep fighting little Oscar.

I've only just read Oscars story. You & he have certainly been through it. Sending many vibes for your brave boy

Oscar is back from the vets though still a bit groggy. He had dead tissue removed from both his lower and upper jaw and a skin flap from the upper one plus new stitches. He is on an upped dose of metacam and daily Penstrep injections plus he had subcutaneous fluids and gut stimulant. He has peed but no poo yet. We will be syringe feeding him though he hates it. Keep fighting little Oscar.

Loads of vibes for Oscar xx

Sending you and Oscar some positive thoughts for a full recovery. In regards to the syringe feeding, it can be quite stressful for the feeder as well as the feedee. I take it slow and always followed this with plenty of cuddles/pets/play time. I use Critical care, but it is not the same taste as their regular pellets and hay (don't ask me how I know!) even though it stays suspended in liquid better than ground up pellets alone. I have used a small coffee/spice grinder to turn dry rabbit food to a powder before mixing it with water alone (or other appropriate liquid) or along with Critical Care.
I am sure Oscar will sooon be well.

Sending you and Oscar some positive thoughts for a full recovery. In regards to the syringe feeding, it can be quite stressful for the feeder as well as the feedee. I take it slow and always followed this with plenty of cuddles/pets/play time. I use Critical care, but it is not the same taste as their regular pellets and hay (don't ask me how I know!) even though it stays suspended in liquid better than ground up pellets alone. I have used a small coffee/spice grinder to turn dry rabbit food to a powder before mixing it with water alone (or other appropriate liquid) or along with Critical Care.
I am sure Oscar will sooon be well.

Thank you and to everyone who has posted their good vibes for Oscar bun. He had a very quiet night and we were concerned that he was quite lethargic but he did have some opiate based pain meds at the vets as well as metacam. He is now a bit brighter and looking around him a bit at what is happening. He had some more Recovery and baby food and decided to attack the syringe which must be a good sign. We find syringe feeding as stressful he does and tend to use Recovery rather than CC as it dissolves more and is less likely to clog the syringe. As a big Rabbit he needs quite a lot as well. Hopefully later on he will take CC from a spoon as he seems to prefer it to Recovery. He has also done 4 tiny poos which at least shows his gut is still moving. Looking at his mouth (with difficulty) it looks as if he has many more stitches so it must be really sore poor boy.

Thank you and to everyone who has posted their good vibes for Oscar bun. He had a very quiet night and we were concerned that he was quite lethargic but he did have some opiate based pain meds at the vets as well as metacam. He is now a bit brighter and looking around him a bit at what is happening. He had some more Recovery and baby food and decided to attack the syringe which must be a good sign. We find syringe feeding as stressful he does and tend to use Recovery rather than CC as it dissolves more and is less likely to clog the syringe. As a big Rabbit he needs quite a lot as well. Hopefully later on he will take CC from a spoon as he seems to prefer it to Recovery. He has also done 4 tiny poos which at least shows his gut is still moving. Looking at his mouth (with difficulty) it looks as if he has many more stitches so it must be really sore poor boy.

I really hope that once his mouth starts to heal he will feel able to eat for himself. Poor lad, he has been in the wars xx

How many mls do you have to feed him Elizabeth?

How many mls do you have to feed him Elizabeth?

As much as he will take as he has lost some weight and is now under 5kg. He was OK with CC from a spoon earlier but at his last feed totally refused so back to Recovery and a syringe. No more poo yet which is a bit worrying. Really trying to avoid touching his lips and gums but it's almost impossible. Just had his second metacam. More recovery in about an hour. He looks so fed up as if to say "why are you doing this to me mummy?"

Last edited:
As much as he will take as he has lost some weight and is now under 5kg. He was OK with CC from a spoon earlier but at his last feed totally refused so back to Recovery and a syringe. No more poo yet which is a bit worrying. Really trying to avoid touching his lips and gums but it's almost impossible. Just had his second metacam. More recovery in about an hour. He looks so fed up as if to say "why are you doing this time mummy?"

Poor boy :( I wish there was an easier way with the surgery he's had.

I hope he heals up fast to take in the food he needs.

Pity rabbits can't drink their smoothies through a straw. Can you mix the CC with some Ella's kitchen baby food, or mashed banana (if he likes it)?

Poor boy :( I wish there was an easier way with the surgery he's had.

I hope he heals up fast to take in the food he needs.

Pity rabbits can't drink their smoothies through a straw. Can you mix the CC with some Ella's kitchen baby food, or mashed banana (if he likes it)?

Yes we mix CC with Ella's baby food bit it still doesn't seem to syringe as well as Recovery as it doesn't mix in with the water. Last week he would eat soft balls of CC and EK from your hand but not yet this time.

Malocclusion - Oscar to have incisors out - another op - update

It's now 5 days since Oscar's second op. Iain is pleased with the results but we have had mega problems in getting poor Oscar to eat. He is still on gut meds and metacam. The Penstrep injections have been reduced to every other day because of his gut issues. He is still not eating of his own accord and we have been syringe feeding him every 1 - 2 hours. He has lost more weight. His poo until today has amounted to about 6 small pellets. That said he has been quite cheerful in himself and doesn't look uncomfortable or in pain. Yesterday we managed to get more into him but by this morning his poo output was no better. We were really disparing though Oscar didn't give the impression of giving up. Today though we have seen a real improvement in the volume and size of his poo and he is now more actively searching for the end of the syringe so things are hopefully on the up though he still eats almost nothing from his herbs,grated veg etc and won't touch any of the 7 types of hay from the Hay Experts.

Please can dear Oscar have some more vibes to keep him going. Thank you.

Back