• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Make Mine Chocolate! Press Release - Britains Hidden Shame (UPSETTING IMAGE FOLLOWS)

Actually it's a friend of mine (not Sophie) who used to work at Head Office but who knows the lady (who may be Sophie) that works within the causes/charity pot side of the company.

How refreshing to hear - I can't imagine why they wouldn't - what a fabulous thing to be linked to - it runs completely parallel to their campaigning for cruelty free products which largely are tested on rabbits it's a win win for Lush IMO. They could even develop a nice chocolate bath bomb in the shape of an Easter egg or a nice coconut bunny shaped body bar for Easter - the possibilities are endless if they are wise enough to use the opportunity.

How refreshing to hear - I can't imagine why they wouldn't - what a fabulous thing to be linked to - it runs completely parallel to their campaigning for cruelty free products which largely are tested on rabbits it's a win win for Lush IMO. They could even develop a nice chocolate bath bomb in the shape of an Easter egg or a nice coconut bunny shaped body bar for Easter - the possibilities are endless if they are wise enough to use the opportunity.

Lovin' it Vicki

yes but do you have to put up pics of animal experiments too..like a few years ago when they were at every single bank cashpoint and reduced us to tears...we are all too well aware..i found out about rabbits and shampoos etc when i was 6 yrs old..and its only words and it has always stuck with me....words are often stronger..in this day and age somne will be too upset and others will be desensitised..:(

you dont want to be extreme one way or the other....

most of us have vivd enough imaginations..but how would you feel if you took a child or frail old lady with you to the vets and saw either or both of these images on the wall at the vets? give people the choice of words or graphic images...sometimes less is more....my days of leaflet dropping on the evils of factory farming and battery hens still stays with me even today.

I absolutely agree. I think there should be laws to prevent the public display of distressing images. I used to instantly go back home and not shop if I found pictures of animal experiments in the high street. I am well aware of the facts but the images upset me and would have upset my children.

I cannot support anyone who uses distressing images for so called shock effect- like the one of the burnt rabbit. :cry:

( I will still donate to Pact for the rabbits themselves though)
sue.:(

This is what I keep on saying on the forum. Would be so easy to slip in.

I am afraid I'm not going to apologise for having one poster with a distressing image in our catalogue of a number of posters.

Make Mine Chocolate! is a very moderate campaign/welfare group, but one that has very strong views on rabbit welfare and the raising of standards of care, and is determined to bring about change in the UK.

We are not radical people out to shock or upset others, hence our producing an alternate poster for those who don't find the charred bunny image acceptable.

I would say however, that to date, very little has changed in the lives of the majority of rabbits in this country and if we have to upset a few souls, to get more people realising what is actually going on behind the scenes in back yard breeding set ups and beyond, then I think you can forgive us for wanting to share the real horrors of what happens, where appropriate.

It would be a shame for people who otherwise agree with what we are trying to do, to totally give up supporting us because of one poster and one press release out of the many that we have already produced and the many more to come.

Someone does have to stand up and force change.

I have to say I think the burnt rabbit is a bit too grusome and off the point too. Obviously that one is not going to breed.

Images like that stick in your head and life is bad enough without that behind your eyes. I'm seeing it right now as a sort of after image and it certainly isn't going to change my behaviour towards rabbits.

The other problem with images like that is that they can actually desensitise people. Children exposed to that sort of thing get used to it, and that has the opposite effect than we want. Like violence on tv. And some nasty little boys might think it cool and want to try it!

The other two are good, although sadly so many rabbits are kept like that that for some people there will be no shock value:(

Last edited:
I absolutely agree. I think there should be laws to prevent the public display of distressing images. I used to instantly go back home and not shop if I found pictures of animal experiments in the high street. I am well aware of the facts but the images upset me and would have upset my children.

I cannot support anyone who uses distressing images for so called shock effect- like the one of the burnt rabbit. :cry:

( I will still donate to Pact for the rabbits themselves though)
sue.:(

I used to hate those stands too :cry: But that's because I knew of the content in the leaflets - because I had seen it. I always signed the petitions however and refused the leaflets.

I understand your concerns and I agree that not all of the posters are suitable for public display. MMC have however asked for people to write to their MP and other professional bodies, for this purpose I feel the most shocking of the three is suitable.

Perhaps guidance notes on usage would be a good idea? Would this help?

I have to say I think the burnt rabbit is a bit too grusome and off the point too. Obviously that one is not going to breed.

Images like that stick in your head and life is bad enough without that behind your eyes. I'm seeing it right now as a sort of after image and it certainly isn't going to change my behaviour towards rabbits.

The other problem with images like that is that they can actually desensitise people. Children exposed to that sort of thing get used to it, and that has the opposite effect than we want. Like violence on tv. And some nasty little boys might think it cool and want to try it!

The other two are good, although sadly so many rabbits are kept like that that for some people there will be no shock value:(

Hopefully the images will hit home for those people and help then realise they are doing something wrong.

For the others who have a blatant disregard... well these surely are not the target audience, they are the problem.

The target audience are people who do not know that these problems exits.

I think people are being a bit irrational about this considering it's an issue that was raised, dealt with and the image in question is an 'option' not a necessity to support the campaign. It's already been acknowledged that it's not appropriate for young children and clearly some 'sensitive' adults.

It's worth remembering that the rabbit in the picture did endure that suffering whether we like it or not and not at the hands of MMC they are actually trying to prevent re-occurence of such event's - I personally feel a responsibility to educate myself fully including the more upsetting things that happen around animals abuse so that I can be fully aware of the scale of horror and out of respect to the animal that suffered the abuse I will look at the more disturbing images.

The poor rabbit that was burned is now at peace - the image of the suffering it endured is really in the housing pictures, because we cannot be sure that it was alive when it was burned but, we know it was housed in the disgusting filthy conditions - it hopefully had already passed over before being burned, the image is useful to demonstrate to MP's or journalists etc the level of complacency that this person had for the welfare of the animals in his care.

These sort of images are frequently seen but, in a different context for example to show the devastation of wildfires or floods - dead animals, people are shown - the difference is that this was deliberate so it's shocking and that is what it should be, the rabbit that died I'm sure would rather it's death served to assist other rabbits - it's not about upsetting anyone it's about facing facts and demonstrating the horror, they are not going to be put up in bus stops or vets they are for a selective few who frankly need to be shocked as we all have and do something to stop it happening, it should be a criminal offence.

This is what I keep on saying on the forum. Would be so easy to slip in.

I'm liking an nice little basket with mini bath bombs in the shape of easter eggs and a little MMC chocolate coloured rabbit which is a nice soap or body bar with the Honey I Shrunk the kids fragrance - say 6 mini bath bombs, I body bar in a little yellow basket/box £7.99 - 10% to MMC ? I have lots of idea's if they want to contact me via PM on here they can - they aren't getting anymore for free :lol: I'll give them lots of idea's for a substantial donation to MMC though ;)

One year they did these...

Bunnies-vi.jpg

Would've been perfect. They often put little bits of paper inside that are revealed when it fizzes away which would hopefully make an impact.

I think they could do a fab visual window and leaflets and segment in the Lush Times and profits to PACT or MMC or whoever.

One year they did these...

Bunnies-vi.jpg

Would've been perfect. They often put little bits of paper inside that are revealed when it fizzes away which would hopefully make an impact.

I think they could do a fab visual window and leaflets and segment in the Lush Times and profits to PACT or MMC or whoever.

Yes they aren't a bad shape, although I was thinking more along the lines of the shape of the MMC bunny logo. The bits of paper inside are a good idea like a fortune cookie - they could put the name of a bunny in a rescue inside and a few words like 'Well done you've helped support a rescue bunny enjoy your bath' :lol:

I don't have twitter, but maybe someone could tweet the celebrities that contributed to Ingrid tarrant's book - the Rabbit whisperer?
Alice Beer, Nick Ferrari (he has a radio talk show on LBC) Chris and Ingrid Tarrant, Paul O'Grady, Paul Daniels, Andrew Castle, Lisa Maxwell, Mike Batt (Composer, 'Bright Eyes' ).

I don't have twitter, but maybe someone could tweet the celebrities that contributed to Ingrid tarrant's book - the Rabbit whisperer?
Alice Beer, Nick Ferrari (he has a radio talk show on LBC) Chris and Ingrid Tarrant, Paul O'Grady, Paul Daniels, Andrew Castle, Lisa Maxwell, Mike Batt (Composer, 'Bright Eyes' ).

thankyou - cross posting this into the twitter thread :wave:

Yes they aren't a bad shape, although I was thinking more along the lines of the shape of the MMC bunny logo. The bits of paper inside are a good idea like a fortune cookie - they could put the name of a bunny in a rescue inside and a few words like 'Well done you've helped support a rescue bunny enjoy your bath' :lol:

Yes!! Shall I post some of these ideas on the Lush forum - would you be happy for me to do that?

:lol::lol::lol: Lovin the ideas though! ;) seriously, I think it would be a hit :D

I am supporting your campaign in any way I can but after seeing the picture of the charred bunny - I just have to know why or how did that happen? I shouldn't look but now I have I just need to know. I can#t understand. :cry:

I am supporting your campaign in any way I can but after seeing the picture of the charred bunny - I just have to know why or how did that happen? I shouldn't look but now I have I just need to know. I can#t understand. :cry:

It's awful isnt it?

What an awful, evil way to get rid of 'surplus stock' or 'waste'. :cry:

I think we'd all like to know how it was able to continue after being investigated previously.

As far as why did it start - I don't know and maybe no one at PACT does either, safe to say he probably saw money in breeding for pet shops and meat and noone batted an eyelid. From the photos shown on the PACT FB page (some very distressing) it looks pretty remote too which won't have helped. We do know that he was reported previously as long ago as 9 years (by a lady on this forum - see earlier posts), so why nothing done? Goodness knows.

Problem is that this will be happening up and down the country to a greater or lesser extent where people think they can make a few quid - let's face it, it's relatively easy increase your stock as they breed like rabbits.

In some cases, it will be cheaper to go to a backyard breeder to buy a rabbit to eat, than it will be to go to a butcher.

Last edited:
Back