• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Make Mine Chocolate! Press Release - Britains Hidden Shame (UPSETTING IMAGE FOLLOWS)

I just read through the make mine chocolate site, and read the Christmas article. I was aware that rescues are over run, but 6 rabbits a day!!! In one rescue??? Working in a rescue, I realised that people buy rabbits, and put them in a situation where they can't blossom and show their personality. So they see their bunnies as boring and a nuisance, instead of the joy that they really are. And it doesn't have to be that way! With enough awareness, people will automatically realise the needs of a rabbit and not just stick them in a tiny hutch at the back of the garden, because that's all they think rabbits need.

Sorry, this is a little of topic but I needed to vent. The idea of Charlie and April in a tiny hutch looking sad, it just kills me. And these rabbits don't deserve it :( They are as rewarding a pet as cats and dog (in my personal experience, they are more rewarding). I wish people would just give them a chance :(.

I contacted them when it first came to light and got back this reply

So they have me on their records (complete with RSPCA details to get a reference for me if they want/need one), but if you want me on yours too, let me know.

Fabulous Tracy.

We have already had a number of offers - so thanks.

Will be updating the guys at PACT when I have a few names to hand over.

UPDATE FROM PACT

The team from PACT have estimated that they will need in the region of £6,000 for the basic care and neutering for these bunnies. To date approx £1,500 has been raised. So donations of funds will still be needed, no matter how small.

The immediate need is for accommodation, and everything else that is needed to house rabbits so still in need of bottles/bowls/hay/foodstuffs.

Whilst Burgess and Supreme have offered assistance, PACT would still like to receive donations of dried food (they currently use Excel and one other pelleted food) as despite the donations from the major manufacturers, they know that they will need much more in the future when the 30 pregnant females deliver their litters. So no matter how little the quanitity, food will still be gratefully received.

The offers of vet nurses going to assist would also be well recieved - clipping of nails and other healthcare. PACT have their own vet team with one vet nurse but would be happy if those of you have offered to go get in touch to see how you can help.

They have recieved many offers of homes from across the UK but can currently only rehome to places where they have a known homechecker.

If you are interested in homechecking for PACT and have a proven track record in homechecking for an existing rescue, could you please contact me via therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk and I will record your details and pass them on.

All homechecking will need to be carried out to the same high standards that PACT currently operate to.

Will keep you posted on any other developments with regard to needs for donations and assistance.

Thank you everyone.

Helen, Im happy to homecheck Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Glos. to help with their rehoming. Im in touch with PACT and will let them know.

PACT have me down for assistance with driving for any bunnyruns which need to go northwards and will be in touch if/when they need me.

If you can get support from the big guys, well done. However don't overlook the smaller manufacturers such as Hotel Chocolat or Chococo, both of whom seem to have a focus on ethics. This sort of issue may fit very well with how they see and run their companies.

http://www.chococo.co.uk/

http://www.hotelchocolat.co.uk

Thank you that's a great suggestion.

We've not ruled out any affiliations, but it's quite hard getting anyone to realise that chocolate bunnies with a message is a selling point! We of course know it would be :D

iv tried email regarding posters and keeps saying delivery failed?wouldnt mind afew to put in cars etc.:wave:

iv tried email regarding posters and keeps saying delivery failed?wouldnt mind afew to put in cars etc.:wave:

I was just about the post the same idea. :D

I'm going to put one in my car window. I spend a lot of time in queing traffic on my way to/from work, so it would be seen by lots of people. In slow moving and stationary traffic, you've got a captive audience. :)

I think for cars it's fine to print them yourselves if you have access to a printer but the duchess will confirm :)

We can send some out if people want to contact info@makeminechocolate.org - we'll be getting them produced as quickly as we can.

I would definitely like a few printed posters as my printer is pants. I also used to put MMC leaflets in all my sponsorship packs but they ran out ages ago. I don't know if you ever sent me any more, but none arrived.

Should I email the above address to get another supply?

I'm trying to get Lush to do something. Got very close last year but no dice, trying to push again for it this year.

I'm trying to get Lush to do something. Got very close last year but no dice, trying to push again for it this year.

that would be amazing.... they have been tweeted - by a few people - but anyone else seeing this that wants to tweet them - go for it :D

If you need any help schuette let me know x

that would be amazing.... they have been tweeted - by a few people - but anyone else seeing this that wants to tweet them - go for it :D

If you need any help schuette let me know x

They say they are also thinking of an animal testing campaign and don't want to do two. While the animal testing thing is very worthy there is a lot of awareness out there now and it would be nice to turn attention to the plight of some domestic ones for a change. They seem to be making a decision on it. Unfortunately with Lush things take time :roll:

I do know however that PACT and another charity is now on the Charity Pot list :thumb: So will get a percentage of the (can't remember if it's profit or whole price) from the Charity Pot moisturiser. So they are doing something.

I will be printing off the posters and circulating them localy to us ..vets , supermarkets etc

Also going to try and put the link on our website

Angie :wave:

Thank you. We already have a contact at Lush who has already discussed how they might help and how they best see a tie up working (for MMC though - not PACT)

Back