• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Major Tom-U/D 25th Nov- I Got Lots of Foot Kisses!!-PICCIE!!

Major Tom has not eaten at all overnight :cry: Although he is reasonably bright within himself he gets so stressed if I attempt syringe feeding as his mouth is full of infection and very sore :cry: If he were a younger Bun tube feeding (naso-gastric) would be an option to by-pass his mouth until the penicillin kicks in. But I would not put the elderly frail Major through the stress of tube feeding.
I will speak with Christobel this morning to see how long she feels we should keep going.......

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

Hi Jane,

Sorry to hear about dear Major Tom. What does the Major usually eat? I know you've probably already tried it but have you tried him with a small bowl of Critical Care recovery food? I know some people mush up the SS pellets but I think the Critical Care is a bit more palatable to poorly bunnies. Just grasping at straws....

When Harvey has to be syringe fed he sits in his hayrack and is very well behaved. He has an indoor bunny cage which he uses as a litter tray and a hay rack inside that. When I need to feed the little man he perches inside his hayrack and lets me feed him.

I know it's a different situation cos the Majors mouth is so sore. Is there anything they can put on his mouth, maybe that has a local anaesthetic effect to numb the pain? Which may allow you to feed him.

Am so sorry that he is poorly.

Hugs to you and Major Tom.

Nic and Harvey xxx

Oh Jane, how on earth did I miss this thread! So sorry to hear about poor Major Tom :cry: Big hugs to you and the Major, hope he is still comfortable xxx

The Major has managed to eat a little on his own today. His guts are virtually static though, despite Metoclopromide. He is also on Penicillin injections plus injections of Metacam, Torbugesic and Vitamin B. The poor wee man must feel like a pin cushion :cry:
Christobel and I have agreed to give it another 48 hours on treatment but if there is no significant improvement we feel we have to let The Major go.... :cry: :cry:

Janex

so sorry jane :cry: hope he picks up soon,

just out of interest have you started to use zantac yet?? same effects as cispride ie.. hindgut

Back