• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can someone tell me I'm being daft, because I feel really sad U/D page 5/post 44

I really hope she is better by the morning, not just for her sake but also for yours. I can't imagine how scared you must be at the moment and that it must be difficult to stay positive right now. Hopefully she will be back to herself in no time though :)

Thank you everyone, you are all very kind x

And thank you for enquiring, WillowAndBiscuit x

Well my plan worked :)

I cleaned out the litter areas (after giving Coco her meds - decided to get that out of the way sooner rather than later and then she legged it into the garden :lol: but :( )

Then Coco came back in as she's a fair weather bunny anyway and it's not very nice today in that it's cold and a bit damp. And she did a poo! Well, 5 or 6 actually. Nice shape, an acceptable size and a rather nice goldish colour given that all she's eaten is hay and leaves :thumb:.

So I'm feeling much better knowing that her output is seemingly getting better as yesterday there were some really tiny, dark poops, and I mean teeny tiny, almost the size of a full stop off a page (I hope that was Coco and not Thumper's poops!).

So hopefully, fingers tightly crossed, she is getting better bit by bit.

I've opened the run up to them as well today so with luck that will help them relax a bit as they like going in there. The only downside is that if they decide not to come back out, I'm stuffed as it's nigh on impossible to get them out if I'm on my own!

She's still unhappy though, certainly not as bright and bouncy as normal :(.

Adrian (my husband) says it's knocked her off her feet simply because she's not used to it, whereas Thumper gets it so regularly she recovers quickly. Feasible, I suppose. And oddly enough that's exactly what our 15-year old son said this morning and he was in bed and asleep last night when Adrian made his comment.

I showed the children the list of medicines that Coco has to take in total every day. There are 6 but as she's eating I'm not force-feeding her the Recovery. Niamh asked "why so many?" Connor jumped in "because she's broken" :( but :lol: (he actually pronounced it "brock-en" to make light of it, bless him).

Hopefully she won't be "brocken" for much longer :).

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, you are all very kind x

And thank you for enquiring, WillowAndBiscuit x

Well my plan worked :)

I cleaned out the litter areas (after giving Coco her meds - decided to get that out of the way sooner rather than later and then she legged it into the garden[emoji38]but :( )

Then Coco came back in as she's a fair weather bunny anyway and it's not very nice today in that it's cold and a bit damp. And she did a poo! Well, 5 or 6 actually. Nice shape, an acceptable size and a rather nice goldish colour given that all she's eaten is hay and leaves :thumb:.

So I'm feeling much better knowing that her output is seemingly getting better as yesterday there were some really tiny, dark poops, and I mean teeny tiny, almost the size of a full stop off a page (I hope that was Coco and not Thumper's poops!).

So hopefully, fingers tightly crossed, she is getting better bit by bit.

I've opened the run up to them as well today so with luck that will help them relax a bit as they like going in there. The only downside is that if they decide not to come back out, I'm stuffed as it's nigh on impossible to get them out if I'm on my own!

She's still unhappy though, certainly not as bright and bouncy as normal :(.

Adrian (my husband) says it's knocked her off her feet simply because she's not used to it, whereas Thumper gets it so regularly she recovers quickly. Feasible, I suppose. And oddly enough that's exactly what our 15-year old son said this morning and he was in bed and asleep last night when Adrian made his comment.

I showed the children the list of medicines that Coco has to take in total every day. There are 6 but as she's eating I'm not force-feeding her the Recovery. Niamh asked "why so many?" Connor jumped in "because she's broken" :( but[emoji38] (he actually pronounced it "brock-en" to make light of it, bless him).

Hopefully she won't be "brocken" for much longer :).
It's excellent that she is improving! My fingers are also tightly crossed for you that she continues to do so!

I've just been out to give Coco her meds for the night, all 5 bless her. She struggled a bit but out of protest really and didn't spit too much out.

Thumper shot off upstairs in the hutch in case it was then her turn, poor mite.

After the meds I got out the treat box to calm Thumper down really. She had one. Offered one to Coco who had a sniff but proceeded to wash the spillage off her dewlap. I waited. Offered it to her again, she took it but put it down. It was a start - she didn't even look at them yesterday! She carried on washing and when she finished and had some hay, I put it in front of her, just out of the way so I wasn't annoying her with it like I did with the hay to make her eat it. And she picked it up and ate it quite happily! I'm really pleased! Her "output" is great - one can clearly see the difference between the 2 bunnies' poops at the moment, :lol: and they both look quite healthy, with Coco's being a nicer golden colour because of all the hay she's had.

Looks like I won't dissolve into tears tonight whilst running a bath like I have for the last 2 as it appears the bad feeling I had was unfounded, thank goodness. I might sleep a bit better too.

Thank you for all of your good wishes and thoughts, it meant/means a lot :) x

I'm so pleased Coco seems finally to be on the mend. I hope you manage to get a good night's sleep tonight.

Just caught up - I'm glad Coco has had her treat tonight.
=]
You definitely weren't being silly - if I were in your position I would have been worried too.

Thank you everyone :)

I just had such a bad feeling, I couldn't shake it. It was just so awful seeing her so flat when normally she's so feisty and bouncy.

However, all being well and as WillowAndBiscuit said, it's all uphill from now, and yes, Omi with a bit of luck I'll get a full night's sleep tonight.

Thank you, daphnephoebe, I was so chuffed when she ate it, I got quite excited :lol:

Sorry I missed this. It's awful when they aren't right and you do worry about them. Hope Coco will continue to make a full recovery now xx

Sorry I missed all this. I hope that Coco will make a full recovery now xx

Sorry I missed this. It's awful when they aren't right and you do worry about them. Hope Coco will continue to make a full recovery now xx

That's alright, there are lots of people posting on here on the forum some threads are bound to be missed :)

Thank you, both :)

She had her meds this morning although she's starting to get a bit wary of me now. She's not fighting me though, or shaking when she sees me so took them, though ended up having to have a wash as she dribbled some onto her dewlap.

She had another treat but whereas Thumper came flying over like a furry exocet missile to get hers, I had to go to Coco to offer her one, which she did take and eat.

She's still not 100% happy, but she's a lot happier than she was and is pooping quite nicely. I'll keep up with the meds until/including Friday night, that'll be 5 full days, and then ring the vet, see what she says. She didn't actually tell me how long to medicate her for, but it is normally 5 days. The Fibreplex will run out Friday anyway.

Onwards and upwards! :)

Glad things are much improved although not 100% just yet, but soon to be I'm sure.
I remember seeing Julian Clary on Room 101 good few years ago and he put dogs into it. Knowing his love of dogs I was surprised until he explained that it was that their life span was too short. I had my wee dog then and agreed wholeheartedly when she passed away. Rabbits never entered my consciousness as pets at that point and if my neighbour hadn't rescued Hoppity who I then adopted I don't think I'd ever have had a rabbit. Now I have 2 and love them very much. But by God they are definitely sent to try us!! :shock: :roll:. How can something so wee and so cute have more ups and downs than a roller coaster???
I moan but wouldn't be without them and am now as much a rabbit bore as I was a dog bore. :lol:

Back