• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucy Update.... Page 6- letter of complaint

Oh bless Lucy & her babies :cry::cry::cry:

Thank goodness she now has a mummy that will give her the life that she so deserves. Poor wee girl, I cannot imagine how she has been treat before coming to you.

Lots of hugs for you & extra special snuggles for Lucy xxxx

Oh bless Lucy & her babies :cry::cry::cry:

Thank goodness she now has a mummy that will give her the life that she so deserves. Poor wee girl, I cannot imagine how she has been treat before coming to you.

Lots of hugs for you & extra special snuggles for Lucy xxxx

going to pass them on now...

Oh the poor little thing! But maybe now you can see today as the first day of the better part of her life :)! I know Charlie was very indifferent and never ran around or jumped about when we first got him, he always seemed so sad which can only be down to how he was treated before. It took around three months of love and care and now he is like a totally different bun! Be patient! Your hard work will definitely pay off :)

Send my love to little Lucy ^^

Im so sorry you and lucy have been through such a traumatic and upsetting time, you have done a tremendous amount to help her back to health and have given her a good and loving home, i shudder to think what might have happened if she had fallen into the wrong hands.

Heres to a happy and loving future for lucy and i bet she will now thrive with you. xxxxxxxx

Hopefully she is young enough to forget it all, she is so beautiful. When we got her I picked her up and held her and she was so still but didnt seem scared, the woman at the shop said she was used to it as the breeders pick them up all the time....

I just hope the times I have been stroking her little head and ears that she has liked it and not just 'going through the paces'

I'm sure she has, they know the difference I think between genuine love and affection and just being examined. Sounds like she has just become introverted - all they can do really I suppose when being used for breeding. I am so glad she is now with someone who cares, I think Lucy is going to become a bit of an RU legend, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing how she develops and gets well. Bless you for doing all this for her, I think you will probably develop a really good bond with her.:love:

She is very lucky to have come home with you and not been taken as a 7 year old's first pet, who goodness knows what would have happened :shock:

I am sure that over time she will come out of her shell and show you her personality :love:

I think you made the right decision. It's very hard as it's literally a life and death situation, but think of it this way. She's only a baby herself. She was forced by the breeders to have the first litter and maybe more you don't know about. For all you know her kits the first time may have been ill or deformed so that's why he gave her up. And I'm sure she is much happier not having any more. If they were healthy it could have meant the end of her, she was stressed moving from place to place and worn out from breeding at such a young age. These decisions are more than hard. You have thought about the greater picture and I think made the right decision. Now she can have a happy and hopefully healthy life.

Sending vibes. :)

Here is the letter I sent to the store :

Its long.....

To Whom it may concern,

I write this letter with the intention that it be sent to your head office, after being sent via the store manager. Unfortunately it is a letter of complaint which I regret as my partner and I are frequent and loyal customers.

On 21st of August 2010 at about 1pm my partner and I came into the store to have Lunch and to buy supplies for our rabbits. As we walked through the pet section, we saw a Grey Female Mini Lop alone in an enclosure with a sign saying ‘Ex breeding stock, 10 Months old £25.00’.

I approached a member of staff and asked about the rabbit, we were told that the breeder had a litter from her at the tender age of 6 months and now he was looking to rehome her, as he was a responsible breeder. I was shocked at how young she had been bred but as animal lovers, my partner and I offered to give her a home to provide her the life she deserved. She was removed from the enclosure by a staff member who we were told was new, he had no knowledge of how to handle her, and picked her up by her abdomen and dangling her upside down he placed her into the box. We then took her home and named her ‘Lucy’.

When we got her home, and throughout the 22nd of August , my partner and I handled Lucy as we would any of our rabbits, however she seemed withdrawn and tired. I checked her Ears, Eyes , Feet etc for signs of illness and when I felt her abdomen, it felt swollen and unusual. Due to this I made a vets appointment for Monday the 23rd August 2010.

We attended Connaught House Veterinary Surgery in Kingswinford, and Lucy was examined by our vet K****** C****. K****** stated that there was swelling and some sort of ‘structure’ in her abdomen which could have been a pregnancy, miscarried pregnancy or some sort of tumour. Following this devastating news we booked Lucy in for a Spey the following day to remove her womb and whatever the foreign body was.

That evening, at about 5:30pm I rang your Store at ‘********************, Shipley, where we got Lucy. I spoke to staff member G*** and informed her what the vets had said. G*** then rang the breeder and returned my phonecall to say she had asked him about the possibility of Lucy being pregnant. The breeder, Mr H***, stated that he had ‘mated’ Lucy with a male approximately 1 month ago, however two weeks ago she started pulling hair from her chest and ‘presumed’ she had miscarried. He then decided she was ‘no good’ for breeding and gave her to the garden centre. This was NOT what we were told when we initially enquired. G*** was most helpful and extended the ‘guarantee’ on Lucy and said that if we sent the vets receipt in, the store would refund the fees.

I was sickened, I kept thinking about how the staff member, my partner and I had all picked her up and moved her without the knowledge of her possible pregnancy. Due to the stress she had been through and the fact her babies would have been due about a week after we bought her, the kits would most likely be damaged by handling, or Lucy would have killed them at birth due to stress and feeling unsettled.

On 24th August 2010, Lucy was taken back to the vets for her operation. Please refer to the enclosed report from the vet. They discovered 4 almost fully developed kits. When these were surgically removed they were alive, conscious, and moving and had to be destroyed by the vet. The knowledge of this had me in tears. I felt such anger for the way Lucy had been treated by her breeders.

Whilst she was under anaesthetic, I asked the vets to look at Lucy’s teeth as she did not appear to be chewing properly. The vets discovered molar spurs on her lower molars, which is a painful condition that often needs constant dentals every 3 to 6 months at a cost of almost £100 per time.

We bought Lucy home on the evening of the 24th August, she appears to be recovering well, but slowly. Her mouth is painful due to the work on her teeth and she has a 2 inch scar on her tummy which is longer than an average spay scar due to the fact the baby kits were so large.

I know the situation could have been avoided, and I guess my partner and I are disappointed at the breakdown in communication between the breeder and your staff. Mr H*** clearly has little or no regard for the welfare of his animals and in this case it appears he ‘chanced’ the lives of Lucy and her babies, for profit.

What also hurt was that even though the complications of the situation were explained to G***, we were offered an ‘exchange’ so that the store could sell the kits on. This disgusted me, I did explain how an animal is not a pair of Jeans, or a faulty item that can be replaced like for like. Maybe the staff on the pet section should receive training in the animals they sell, as it is common knowledge that if a female rabbit is rehomed during pregnancy (especially the last week) she will more than likely kill the babies, kick them out of the nest, or refuse to feed them.

It was my intention to place Lucy with two other female rabbits that I have, I thank my lucky stars that I spotted the problem. If the babies were born in the company of the other females they would have attacked Lucy and her kits.

I am sorry that this letter is long and apologise for its detail. I just want you to understand that there are clear areas here for staff development, and maybe advice to be passed on to Mr H***. The pain, upset and stress we have all been through since the weekend cannot be highlighted enough.

My partner and I still plan to visit the store in future however I cannot imagine it will be a pleasant experience due to the animosity we both feel. I enclose the invoice from the vets for your consideration; any money refunded will be used to make Lucy’s life more comfortable and to contribute towards her future dental work.

I am thankful that we had the opportunity to home her, as if she had been sold to less experience pet owners, I dread to think what would have happened to Lucy and her kits.

I eagerly await your reply.

Yours Sincerely

Last edited:
I think that is an excellent letter, which details the situation clearly.
A very big well done for containing your feelings. :thumb:

Tongue in cheek; several hundred RUer's sincerely await their reply too!

I think that is an excellent letter, which details the situation clearly.
A very big well done for containing your feelings. :thumb:

Tongue in cheek; several hundred RUer's sincerely await their reply too!

I hope its good, i have my fingers crossed for apology vouchers too, Lucy will have some AMAZING toys and treats if they do! Not too optimistic though... them coughing up for the vets bills will be a mean feat in itself.

I just hope that breeder looses his contract with them

Just caught up with this thread, didnt have time to read your complaint letter, will read it tomorrow. Just wanted to say Lucy is very lucky to be living with you and have you looking after her. x

I think you have structured your letter very well.

The only thing I would change is - I would not apologise for the length of your letter & the detail of it. You have nothing to apologise for - had they not been decieved by the breeder or 'dealt' with her in the way they did - you nor Lucy would be in this situtation :cry:

I really hope they take on board your comments & do refund you your vet fees. Keep us posted.

Have just read the letter, it is brilliant, very well written.

I am just so sad that you and Lucy had to go through this.

I think you have structured your letter very well.

The only thing I would change is - I would not apologise for the length of your letter & the detail of it. You have nothing to apologise for - had they not been decieved by the breeder or 'dealt' with her in the way they did - you nor Lucy would be in this situtation :cry:

I really hope they take on board your comments & do refund you your vet fees. Keep us posted.

I agree.

poor you, lucky Lucy

Superb letter. No-one could have done more than you did in those circumstances. Lucy deserves a chance to become a young bun - she went straight from babyhood to motherhood first time round. It may take her some time, but she clearly has a lovely personality, and with your patience she will come out of herself. Lots of vibes for all of you.

That sounds like a good letter.
I am sorry for what you have had to go through. It must be very stressful and I would be upset too. You must be very happy that you got her and gave her the care she needs instead of her going to a horrible home.

Back