• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky escape - How high can a fox jump?

3QUOTE=Miloe's_Mum;2227273]Whats a gun club???[/QUOTE]

usally a target range but thier are lisenced shoots that deal with foxs for farmers in them!

Its probably best to buy a big run for them to exercise in. The fox will probably come back so you need to do everything you can to make sure it can't get at them :( It must have been really scary for you and the bunnies! :shock:

I dont think anything is ever totally fox proof.

One of our first rescues was lost to a fox who lifted up the corner of a playhouse roof, got in and took not one but both rabbits.

The only remains were a little fur and blood on the garden lawn :cry::cry:

I very nearly has a close encounter once - bunny was free ranging *before I got Isaac* and she had just come in of her own accord and then a split second later I saw a fox - they have and never will be left on their own in the garden since and I always patrol where the foxes come in singing my guts out :oops: :lol:

They do have a shed and 6x4 attached run. It's just they love being out on the grass. This is the first time in 9 years I have had a problem but even this is too often so they'll have to have shorter periods out with me in the garden rather than watching from inside.

It was a beautiful fox! Just too close for comfort!

They do have a shed and 6x4 attached run. It's just they love being out on the grass. This is the first time in 9 years I have had a problem but even this is too often so they'll have to have shorter periods out with me in the garden rather than watching from inside.

It was a beautiful fox! Just too close for comfort!

Sounds like they have plenty of room then. I used to let mine out unsupervised (would watch them through a window but not for every minute) free range but they caused too much damage to plants and digging holes so i only let them out in nice weather when i can follow them round. They don't get out much with the weather being so cr*ppy all the time.

Sounds like they have plenty of room then. I used to let mine out unsupervised (would watch them through a window but not for every minute) free range but they caused too much damage to plants and digging holes so i only let them out in nice weather when i can follow them round. They don't get out much with the weather being so cr*ppy all the time.

Thanks Estelle, my boys are too lazy to damage the garden! They do eat the plants but our garden is mainly grass so they can't do too much harm (apart from wee and poo in one area and kill the grass!:lol:)

foses can jump at least 13 ft. Electric fencing can be a put off but only if it goes pretty high. You can't put spikes up it is illegal.

Use a rabbit net that is only 75cm high and as long as the net is correctly set up, live and the foxes have been adequately baited onto the fence they will not jump over, climb over or dig under. Electric fences have been proved to be 95% effective against foxes and free range poultry units use the material.

The netting is very portable and easy to erect but is more expensive than line fencing.

This is such an easy solution that you need to think about it and understand that it is not the same as just using mains which is highly dangerous, watch this, it is both amusing and instructive. Get over a few prejudices

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1pSHzdahc

Can you get a secure run made for the buns to play in? Like with bolts and the lid bolted to the run? Thats all I can thing of, I dont think putting things on the fence would really work and it may just end up hurting another animal if anything.

Also just dont leave your buns unsupervised in the garden, when mine play in the garden I am out there the whole time watching incase a cat comes in x

We have lived in this house for ten years in March. Since early December I hve seen a fox in the road outside three times, twice at around 11.00 p.m. and once at 5.15 a.m. as I was getting up. I have outside rabbits - I have two large hutches on the patio which I had specially made with heavy wire, bolts etc. My others are in a summer house and a wendy house and all are secured and covered at night.

My only sighting of a fox was once in 2000, again in the middle of the night.

I have never had a sign of any foxes visiting my garden but I do take it very seriously and make sure the buns are as safe as I can make them.

Foxes can walk along fences like a cat and can obviously dig into a run if not on solid ground.

The picture her: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbit_foxes.asp
was taken by an RU member when out in the garden, mid day supervising her rabbits. Don't assume day light or your presence will deter a fox. Likewise not all dogs react to foxes by attacking/chasing - some will turn tail.

It's such a shame because I do think rabbits benefit from large amounts of space to explore and exercise but it's extremely hard to do that and keep them safe.

Tam

how beautiful are foxes tho... i only ever see the scraggly city ones who look so poorly :cry::cry: and the last was years ago

oops sorry i know they eat rabbits but as a child the rare occasion of seeing a fox filled me with joy :oops::oops::oops:

i know its not very visually appealing, but barbed wire would surely deter them if placed at an angle to the fence making it tricky to get over. or even just a couple of lengths of wire threaded along the fence. they do it in zoos in the big cat enclosures :?

Lucky escape/how high can foxes jump.

As a bunny mum who has to deal with foxes daily:cry:once they know your bunnies are there (as this one does with yours) then you will have to be very careful as he will keep on coming back until he gets lucky:shock::evil:
I have just had to go out and move a fox who was asleep on my bunny shed roof:evil:so YES they do come out in daytime and they won,t give up if they are hungry:cry:at this time of year the vixen,s are either pregnant or have given birth so will be extra bold as they need to feed their babies:evil:
I would be extra vigilant with your buns and not let them have the run of your garden while the fox is hanging around:evil:

Thanks for all your replies and advice! I haven't seen the fox again but have only had the buns out when I have been in the garden. Does mean I am tidying the garden more! My boys are very miffed though, they are used to having a lot longer free in the garden so they are being very naughty when I need to get them in!

get them under cover!

After 8 years of keeping my (8) outdoor rabbits 'free range' during the day and hitched overnight I have had to buy large wired runs for them with wire roofing and concrete slabs at base - oh yes and electric fencing during the night. Reason? The huge increase in fox sightings in suburban areas like mine (edge of Cambridge). The neighbours were seeing the fox in daytime, and even on their patio. Suspect you are not allowed to advertise on this forum but if you want to know where to buy excellent and very very sturdy wired runs that are over head high (ie 6ft high by 12x12 ft) then e-mail me direct and I will tell you the name of the company I bought mine off. (twigs.way@ntlworld.com). I still let the outdoor rabbits out to play on the bigger lawn when supervised: and also the 4 houserabbits are allowed onto the patio in the day as they have a cat flap to dash in. However we are more and more careful. You could also try 'brush off' spray (a harmless scented spray) that imitates male fox so makes the other think its someone else's territory. I still havn't actually seen the fox (despite working at home in the daytime overlooking the garden) but I am sure its only a matter of time.
Twigs

Back