• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky and Jack had a fight :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
A happy Rabbit is one where ALL his/her needs are met. To me that includes the companionship of another Rabbit

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/b_buds_jul_04.pdf

It is anthropomorphic to say that a Rabbit prefers 'his her/ bedroom' to a home with a Rabbit companion. A Rabbit could not give a flying fig about who is his/her owner as long as *ALL* his/her welfare needs are met.

So your saying it is wrong to keep a rabbit as a single, the rabbit doesnt care who you are and it doesnt care how much space it has.

My rabbits all have their own space, bedrooms and lots of toys ect.
I have 2 singles and 1 pair.
Lola is the happiest rabbit I have ever seen and she will only ever settle with me, but according to you she doesnt care who I am, she doesnt care about her space, and she needs a friend.
In my eyes I am Lola's bonded partner and she will not have anything to do with other rabbits or anyone else, shes always by my side and has so much love and care, when she was left in the care of my mother for one night without me she went into stasis even though she had unlimited hay and her pellets, she will not tollerate being without me.
I am not a bad owner if her "needs" are not met by her not having a friend shes got people in this house 24/7.
I would rather have my buns as singles and have them in their own bedrooms rather than with a partner in a tiny area.

So your saying it is wrong to keep a rabbit as a single, the rabbit doesnt care who you are and it doesnt care how much space it has.

Lola is the happiest rabbit I have ever seen and she will only ever settle with me, but according to you she doesnt care who I am, she doesnt care about her space, and she needs a friend.
In my eyes I am Lola's bonded partner and she will not have anything to do with other rabbits or anyone else, shes always by my side and has so much love and care, when she was left in the care of my mother for one night without me she went into stasis even though she had unlimited hay and her pellets, she will not tollerate being without me.
I am not a bad owner if her "needs" are not met by her not having a friend shes got people in this house 24/7.
I would rather have my buns as singles and have them in their own bedrooms rather than with a partner in a tiny area.

Lots of people on here will tell you that you are wrong to keep a single bunny.I got quite upset at some comments I received a while back but it doesnt bother me anymore. My rabbits are happy, well cared for and have plenty of exercise space- that is more than some members.

You know what is best for your rabbits and whether or not they are happy.

Lots of people on here will tell you that you are wrong to keep a single bunny.I got quite upset at some comments I received a while back but it doesnt bother me anymore. My rabbits are happy, well cared for and have plenty of exercise space- that is more than some members.

Exactly, at least my pets have huge amounts of space, the correct care and the best diet.
I couldnt give a monkeys if they are singles or pairs, so long as they show they are happy I am happy!
Does this look like an unhappy single rabbit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6U0KTSNEmY
NO!

Most rabbits prefer company yes. If the OP has a pair of bunnies living together they will have double the space and have company, no rabbits dont care where they are as long as all their needs are met. My Joey was happy as a single housebun to start with but was certainly alot more content as a pair and even more so now he is in a group.

I don't believe your rabbit went into stasis because you weren't there.

I don't get how your post relates to the OP and the slandering you have given him for wanting the best for his buns?

I think its just a case of remembering that each rabbit is different, with different needs.

And also respecting that each owner has their right to make the choices for their animals.

Most rabbits prefer company yes. If the OP has a pair of bunnies living together they will have double the space and have company, no rabbits dont care where they are as long as all their needs are met. My Joey was happy as a single housebun to start with but was certainly alot more content as a pair and even more so now he is in a group.

I don't get how your post relates to the OP and the slandering you have given him for wanting the best for his buns?

Sorry Lara, there are a few of us on here with bunnies who have separattion anxiety. Me and my Sky, poppymoon and her Eric, Gray and his Biccy before being bonded with Ginger.

If I don't sleep in my bed Sky won't eat overnight and then invariably needs a dental shortly after. :roll:

I do think if they have a strong bond then its perfectly plausible that her bunny may get separation anxiety too.

I agree with some points from most people's posts here and I look forward to what the rescue have advised whitehood to do as I'm sure he and the rescue will want the best for both rabbits.

I think rabbits do care who their owners are, Beano is very terratoral (no idea how to spell that :oops:) of her shed and run, she is fine with Gordon, never done anything to him but she won't let anyone else but me go in them without lunging and grunting at them, I had to go away for one night and my sister fed them, Beano lunged at her and wouldn't eat her food or move from where she was, just sat their grunting and lunging if she got too close to her, all Beano's welfare needs was met then but she did care about who her owner was and who is the only person she will not lunge at.

I am not saying its wrong to keep a single bun, i just prefer them to have company. Its clear your bunnies are very happy and well looked after.

I just think its wrong the OP should be attacked because they want to rehome a rabbit so they can live in pairs. I'm not having someone tell me I'm bad for rehoming one of my buns so they could live in pairs rather than as single buns, that is for everyone to judge individually, some bunnies are happy living as single housebuns.

Sorry Lara, there are a few of us on here with bunnies who have separattion anxiety. Me and my Sky, poppymoon and her Eric, Gray and his Biccy before being bonded with Ginger.

If I don't sleep in my bed Sky won't eat overnight and then invariably needs a dental shortly after. :roll:

I do think if they have a strong bond then its perfectly plausible that her bunny may get separation anxiety too.

Really :shock: mine obviously dont care then :lol: although if they are taken somewhere else then thats different. I think its different maybe for housebuns that are used to you being in the house with them and their routine.

You clearly don't know Lola then, I dont understand why you would think she didn't go into stasis.
You can ask any of my friends and they will tell you what Lola is truely like, she will not leave my side, she sits and grooms me for hours on end and always craves attention, she refuses to take food off anyone else apart from me.
The point I am getting at here I dont understand why he is rehoming Jack, they were both single buns before and most people know two male bondings are very hard, leave them be spilt the room and keep them both:?

Really :shock: mine obviously dont care then :lol: although if they are taken somewhere else then thats different. I think its different maybe for housebuns that are used to you being in the house with them and their routine.

Yup. :lol: they all have their different quirks.

You clearly don't know Lola then, I dont understand why you would think she didn't go into stasis.
You can ask any of my friends and they will tell you what Lola is truely like, she will not leave my side, she sits and grooms me for hours on end and always craves attention, she refuses to take food off anyone else apart from me.
The point I am getting at here I dont understand why he is rehoming Jack, they were both single buns before and most people know two male bondings are very hard, leave them be spilt the room and keep them both:?

But thats just it, I don't know Lola and you don't know Jack so how could you possibly justify you knowing better than the OP on whats best for him and his other rabbits? Attacking him because he's trying to make a very hard decision is really not going to help. He's doing the right thing and going to the Arc for advice and to work out what will be best for his rabbits.

Actually I didnt know until I joined this forum years ago when my males were fighting that bonding them would be hard. Thats why people are here, to learn and correct mistakes they have made, I have now bonded 3 bucks and a doe which i never would have known how to do years ago.

Try telling that to my 3 pairs of Bucks !! :lol:

There is no 'one size fits all' and no-one is calling you a 'bad' owner.
We are all just stating our own personal opinions which I think we are entitled to do as long as we do it politely :)

I see all of your points but wouldnt it be more fair to personally rehome Jack and then get a girl from a rescue thats the bit I couldn't justify, rehoming one from a rescue to put your other rabbit into a rescue:?

:shock:

I wouldn't mind getting a rescue to bond Lucky Jack and a female bunny, but if Jack and Lucky don't like each other what's the point they might like the doe but then they will start fighting over her ..

I am going to tell the rescue about their history with each other, and ask if they could find Lucky a partner and to re home Jack, but I would be fostering him for them until he finds a home, so I wont feel like I've dumped him somewhere and he will be waiting there for ages.
If Lucky finds his partner good I'm going to bring them home, if Lucky doesn't find his partner then I'll see what the rescue advises.
Jack will be already be in my house.

If Lucky finds a partner the doe and he will be happy and Jack will be happy while I take care of him and he will be happy when the rescue finds him a good home :(

I see all of your points but wouldnt it be more fair to personally rehome Jack and then get a girl from a rescue thats the bit I couldn't justify, rehoming one from a rescue to put your other rabbit into a rescue:?

I don't want to re home Jack!
I'm only doing this because I wont have the time and money to own 3 rabbits.
If I did have money and more time I would've got a rescue to find Jack a partner too and stay with me.

I wouldn't mind getting a rescue to bond Lucky Jack and a female bunny, but if Jack and Lucky don't like each other what's the point they might like the doe but then they will start fighting over her ..

I am going to tell the rescue about their history with each other, and ask if they could find Lucky a partner and to re home Jack, but I would be fostering him for them until he finds a home, so I wont feel like I've dumped him somewhere and he will be waiting there for ages.
If Lucky finds his partner good I'm going to bring them home, if Lucky doesn't find his partner then I'll see what the rescue advises.

If Lucky finds a partner the doe and he will be happy and Jack will be happy while I take care of him and he will be happy when the rescue finds him a good home :(

Would you be in the position to have 2 more girls or not?
I know your thread for wanting a cat, if you left the idea of a cat and got them both a friend, if of course your parents were happy with owning 2 bonded pairs it would save you from rehoming Jack.
I must apologise too I have miss read and didnt realise you were fostering Jack until he found a home.
Could you not try the RIN section on here, if two girls werent an option?

ETA just read your last post never mind.

From what I understand, Jack wouldn't be going into a rescue, he would just be rehomed through a rescue, and Whitehood would foster him until he found a new home

You are doing everything you can to ensure your rabbits are happy, don't let people make you feel guilty for that. I think you are being very sensible.

Would you be in the position to have 2 more girls or not?
I know your thread for wanting a cat, if you left the idea of a cat and got them both a friend, if of course your parents were happy with owning 2 bonded pairs it would save you from rehoming Jack.
I must apologise too I have miss read and didnt realise you were fostering Jack until he found a home.
Could you not try the RIN section on here, if two girls werent an option?

ETA just read your last post never mind.

I'm not going to get a cat yet I was just being stupid and selfish
My parents wouldn't allow 2 pairs, their accommodation etc would cost double than a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back