• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky and Jack had a fight :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an extremely unjustified comment

It's not as if the OP has not sought help and tried different options to keep Lucky and Jack together.

Would it be better if he either condemned 2 Rabbits to a life as a singleton or took on two more Rabbits that *he cannot afford*

In an ideal world NO Rabbit should end up in a Rescue. But this situation is NOT that of someone 'swopping Rabbits about'. He is trying to make sure that BOTH Jack and Lucky are happy. ARC wont just send him off with anyBun without being as sure as they can be that the bonding is sound. ARC will also be there to often advice AFTER homing.

The OP has already said that he will keep Jack as a Foster until ARC find a suitable home. So he wont be 'stuck in a Rescue' or 'taking up space'

ARC Homecheck ALL prospective adoptees, Jack's LONGTERM welfare will be paramount.

Seriously, there are many cass where rehoming is considered and the reasons are ridiculous and based on the owners poor attitude to having Pets.
I dont read this case as one of them

Just as well I did not RECENTLY post about the fact that I was considering rehoming a single Rabbit that I have been unable to bond.

Would I be judged as just 'getting rid'.................

I agree with this. :wave:

I think it's better for both buns to have a friend they can snuggle with, rather than two singles.

Whitehood has tried his hardest to bond them. I don't think he's giving up easily. :)

Hmmm it is a difficult situation, have you considered a trio? I am just thinking that you could try bonding the new girl bun with them both, if it doesnt work out then fine, rehome the one that isnt 'getting on' with the others, which may or may not be Jack. If it does work, you have 3 happy bunnies :) you're going to have 3 bunnies anyway, I think its worth a try?

I have all of my rabbits and they all stay with me regardless if they bond or not, a rabbit is for life. Rabbits can be just as happy as singles and I have first hand knowledge of singles and pairs and they are all equally happy as each other.

I dont care if it is harsh its the truth.

So it's better to have a Rabbit denied the companionship of his/her own kind for the rest of his/her life ?

I suggest that THIS is unfair.

Sometimes loving means letting go if we cannot provide the Pet the care the NEED.

Im in the same position with Buster and Lola. They were fine for weeks then all of a sudden just fell out. Poor Lola has numerous cuts and gashes so ive had to split them. Im going to try again in a couple of weeks when the dust has settled but if it still doesnt work out then im hoping The Duchess will be able tlo bond them for me more sucessfully. She will be my last hope. If not then ive got the sad descion as to who will have to be rehomed. I dont have enough living space for 2 buns to live seperatly, At the moment they are having to take it in turns comming out which is difficult especially when im not in as i have to choose who will be left out and who will be locked in their cage. I totally see were the OP is comming from and wish him every sucess with his new bond. Hopefully Jack will find a new partner sooner rather than later.

Im in the same position with Buster and Lola. They were fine for weeks then all of a sudden just fell out. Poor Lola has numerous cuts and gashes so ive had to split them. Im going to try again in a couple of weeks when the dust has settled but if it still doesnt work out then im hoping The Duchess will be able tlo bond them for me more sucessfully. She will be my last hope. If not then ive got the sad descion as to who will have to be rehomed. I dont have enough living space for 2 buns to live seperatly, At the moment they are having to take it in turns comming out which is difficult especially when im not in as i have to choose who will be left out and who will be locked in their cage. I totally see were the OP is comming from and wish him every sucess with his new bond. Hopefully Jack will find a new partner sooner rather than later.

That's so sad. Did Lola have to go to the vets for her injuries?
I have had to take one of my buns to the vets a couple of years ago cos of injuries from a fight and again last week a rabbit with gashes that had drawn blood from fighting.
My vet has told me once blood is drawn I shouldn't put them back together which leaves me in a bit of a predicament re. space, housing etc.
I'm not sure my nerves could stand trying to rebond after what's happened with mine. :(

I have all of my rabbits and they all stay with me regardless if they bond or not, a rabbit is for life. Rabbits can be just as happy as singles and I have first hand knowledge of singles and pairs and they are all equally happy as each other.

I dont care if it is harsh its the truth.

I have 'first hand knowledge' of singles, pairs and groups.... Rabbits do prefer company, you end up keeping them for you not because they are happier perhaps somewhere in a nice home where they have a bun they get on with. Theres nothing like bonded bunnies.

OP has said she'd keep Jake until hes found an appropriate home 'if' she rehomes him and then takes on a rescue doe that would get on with Lucky, thats the harder thing to do but most probably would work out best for the buns concerned.

Your attack on the OP saying he is getting rid is completely uncalled for and unhelpful. :?

This is what I am considering, well have pm'd about putting him on RIN. And I feel horrendous about it. And have felt sick about him going up on RIN cos of what people will think.

Rehoming isnt always an easy option.

It is hard. And very hard to try and sort in your head what is best for the bunny.

I rehomed a buck i had with joey intially as i couldnt bond them post neuter, i rehomed a single doe and he went to my sister who adopted a doe also, they were both much happier. It was a very hard decision, but i had to put the bunnies happiness before my own.

I rehomed a buck i had with joey intially as i couldnt bond them post neuter, i rehomed a single doe and he went to my sister who adopted a doe also, they were both much happier. It was a very hard decision, but i had to put the bunnies happiness before my own.

Thanks, So nice they went to your sister.
I wish I had family members or friends that were interested so I could know it would be ok.
But only chance would be my dad but he made such a hash of adopting a dog that I dont feel I can trust him to be able to do a good job. :? :(

That is an extremely unjustified comment

It's not as if the OP has not sought help and tried different options to keep Lucky and Jack together.

Would it be better if he either condemned 2 Rabbits to a life as a singleton or took on two more Rabbits that *he cannot afford*

In an ideal world NO Rabbit should end up in a Rescue. But this situation is NOT that of someone 'swopping Rabbits about'. He is trying to make sure that BOTH Jack and Lucky are happy. ARC wont just send him off with anyBun without being as sure as they can be that the bonding is sound. ARC will also be there to often advice AFTER homing.

The OP has already said that he will keep Jack as a Foster until ARC find a suitable home. So he wont be 'stuck in a Rescue' or 'taking up space'

ARC Homecheck ALL prospective adoptees, Jack's LONGTERM welfare will be paramount.

Seriously, there are many cass where rehoming is considered and the reasons are ridiculous and based on the owners poor attitude to having Pets.
I dont read this case as one of them

Just as well I did not RECENTLY post about the fact that I was considering rehoming a single Rabbit that I have been unable to bond.

Would I be judged as just 'getting rid'.................

A happy rabbit is a rabbit that has been taken from his home, from his bedroom, from his owners and left in a rescue.

Thats not really my definition of happy.

I'm really sorry to hear this Whitehood, I know how hard you have tried to keep Jack and Lucky together, and I am so sorry it hasn't worked out.

I think the attacks on you are unjustified, you have spent months trying to keep them together and bond them, and it hasn't worked. He isn't 'just dumping' Jack, he will be taking care of him and rehoming through the rescue, so that he isn't sat being ignored, and isn't taking up rescue space.

As with finding Lucky a new girlfriend, again going through a rescue means that bonding can be done within the rescue itself, and therefore find a good match. It could be that Jack and Lucky just don't like other males, who knows?

I think it is unfair to tell Whitehood he should keep them as two singles, when clearly he wants what is best for them- to have companionship. I would have agreed that rabbits can be fine on their own up until last week, but seeing Oscar and Jessie together now, I feel guilty for leaving them on their own so long...

Good luck Whitehood :wave:

A happy rabbit is a rabbit that has been taken from his home, from his bedroom, from his owners and left in a rescue.

I think its important to be aware that all rabbits are different. Some are happy alone, some are definitely not, and grouping them all together as the same won't work.

I have Sky, so won't bond with anyone, and he sees me as his girlfriend. It would be cruel for me to rehome him so he could have a bunny friend, when he just wants me.

I also have Roger who is a wildie and he needs a friend. When he lost his wifeys he got so sad and just existed. Had I not had another bunny here to bond with him then I would have had to have looked at what was best for him. I do know who I would have asked to take him had I not been able to keep him though.

He didnt say he was leaving him in a rescue :?

A rabbit living alone without company when they have the possibilty of a home with another rabbit they get on with is certainly an unselfish thing for the OP to do and certainly is my definition of a happy rabbit.

I rehomed one of my bucks and it was certainly the best thing for him :?

Last edited:

A happy Rabbit is one where ALL his/her needs are met. To me that includes the companionship of another Rabbit

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/b_buds_jul_04.pdf

It is anthropomorphic to say that a Rabbit prefers 'his her/ bedroom' to a home with a Rabbit companion. A Rabbit could not give a flying fig about who is his/her owner as long as *ALL* his/her welfare needs are met.

*googles anthropomorphic* as I haven't a clue what it means..... inintial thought is humanising something ;)

Sometimes bondings are just not to be. I do not attempt a rebond more than twice. IMO it is not fare to force two Rabbits to cohabit if they just dont get along.

I am no expert and I *personally* dont agree with some of the harsh (IMO) bonding techniques so perhaps some people think I give up too soon. Well maybe, but rather too soon than too late...................

I agree. I could get a bond between Strawbs and Mr B, but given how much he bullies and chases and how nervous Mr B is it wouldnt be fair to them.

However I will not rehome any of my three just so they can be bonded. I know many disagree with me on it but they are happy as they are, all their other needs are met and so thats the way it will stay for the foreseable future.

*googles anthropomorphic* as I haven't a clue what it means..... inintial thought is humanising something ;)

*nods* putting human emotions, etc, onto an animal.

Also, just one more time for poor whitehood.

Whitehood is a member of the male variety.​
:thumb:​

*nods* putting human emotions, etc, onto an animal.

Also, just one more time for poor whitehood.

Whitehood is a member of the male variety.​
:thumb:​

:lol::lol: I knew that already! A very rare young male at that, it's great to see him doing what is best for his rabbits :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back