• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lopsided mouth?

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I noticed earlier that Peter has a very slightly lop sided mouth :? If you look at him from above its like one side of his mouth is higher than the other. It is very slight, in fact so much so that I forgot about it ,as its not noticable unless you see him from above.

He's eating normally (like a horse!), drinking well, jumping around his run as normal. He had his vaccinations about 4 weeks ago and was neutered 2 weeks ago. He lives alone outdoors. He is 5 months old.

Should I be worried?

Hi,

I noticed earlier that Peter has a very slightly lop sided mouth :? If you look at him from above its like one side of his mouth is higher than the other. It is very slight, in fact so much so that I forgot about it ,as its not noticable unless you see him from above.

He's eating normally (like a horse!), drinking well, jumping around his run as normal. He had his vaccinations about 4 weeks ago and was neutered 2 weeks ago. He lives alone outdoors. He is 5 months old.

Should I be worried?

I don't want to worry you because I'm not certain at all but with one of my rabbits I noticed this and it was a dental problem :/ Hopefully someone else can help though :)

I don't want to worry you because I'm not certain at all but with one of my rabbits I noticed this and it was a dental problem :/ Hopefully someone else can help though :)

Hmmm :( I've not noticed any problems with him eating, in fact I ordered him some samples of hay and I've not seen him eat as much hay as I have this past week :?

The vet had a quick look at his teeth when I took him for his vaccinations and didnt comment that she saw anything.

Thanks Jazxo xx

Hmmm :( I've not noticed any problems with him eating, in fact I ordered him some samples of hay and I've not seen him eat as much hay as I have this past week :?

The vet had a quick look at his teeth when I took him for his vaccinations and didnt comment that she saw anything.

Thanks Jazxo xx

Hopefully it's nothing to do with that then! Good luck with him :) x

Hopefully it's nothing to do with that then! Good luck with him :) x

Thank you :D TBH I can't be sure that he hasn't always been like this, like I said its very slight, hardly noticable at all. I was planning on booking him in to get his nails cut and as I get a dental check covered by his vet care plan I might as well kill two birds with one stone and get his teeth checked too. I'm sure he will be thrilled, as since he had his neutering done he doesnt seem too keen on the vet :lol:

I also don't want to worry you as it may not be this but we noticed this with Starbuck, the vet said they can get something called Bell's Palsy (a human condition which I think is caused by stress), he seemed fine in himself so we didnt worry, although around the same time the same vet said that she thought his glands were up.....6 months later and what we are actually looking at is a middle ear abscess which has broken through on to the outside of his face and appears as a lump by his ears (and most likely the 'raised glands' that were there before ie they probably weren't raised glands but the start of the abscess/infection).

What has happened in Starbuck's case is that the infection/abscess is pressing on his facial nerve causing it to constrict on that side - I don't know if I am explaining this right - Parsnipbun or Jack's Jane would be able to explain better for you.

Thank you :D TBH I can't be sure that he hasn't always been like this, like I said its very slight, hardly noticable at all. I was planning on booking him in to get his nails cut and as I get a dental check covered by his vet care plan I might as well kill two birds with one stone and get his teeth checked too. I'm sure he will be thrilled, as since he had his neutering done he doesnt seem too keen on the vet :lol:

That could be very likely! Bless him. Just ask them and I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest.

I also don't want to worry you as it may not be this but we noticed this with Starbuck, the vet said they can get something called Bell's Palsy (a human condition which I think is caused by stress), he seemed fine in himself so we didnt worry, although around the same time the same vet said that she thought his glands were up.....6 months later and what we are actually looking at is a middle ear abscess which has broken through on to the outside of his face and appears as a lump by his ears (and most likely the 'raised glands' that were there before ie they probably weren't raised glands but the start of the abscess/infection).

What has happened in Starbuck's case is that the infection/abscess is pressing on his facial nerve causing it to constrict on that side - I don't know if I am explaining this right - Parsnipbun or Jack's Jane would be able to explain better for you.

Thanks helgalush,

Yes I've heard of bells palsy, never would have thought a bunny could get it too :( Anyway, I shall pop into the vets tomorrow and get him looked at.

In my bunny's case I don't think it is Bell's Palsy strictly speaking as its to do with the abscess pressing on his facial nerve.

Good luck at the vets and hope you can get to the bottom of whatever has caused it in Peter.

I was going to mention inner ear abcsess - a common cause of lopsided face - especially in lops.
However the fact you can only see it from above seems odd.

Typically with inner ear abscess it is best seen straight on as one side of the face has 'lifted' due to atrophy of the facial nerves (which run through the inner ear so are damaged by the abscess).

Get a vet to check his ears - and try posting a straight on picture on here.

I wonder if this is what happened with Mischa too, that the lopsidedness was a continual symptom of infection rather than residual.

Well strangely the lop sidedness has vanished :? How odd, but definitely today his face looked completely normal.

I'll keep an eye on it and am planning on booking him in for his nails soon so I'll get them to double check his teeth whilst I'm there

Back