• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Living With A House Rabbit-Positive Comments

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Heres the back story;
My two bunnies Binky and Bella were split,Bella remains in the shed and Binky is in a hutch (which i hate) I'm saving up for a shed like thing for Binky but Binky is quite a mad unruly bunny,but Bella is a calm yet playful,will ONLY 'go' in her litter tray and likes cuddles :lol:

Now then,instead of buying a new shed i want to bring Bella indoors and move Binky into the big shed,then eventually bring them both indoors.

i was thinking i could have two of the xl dog crates from argos JUST for night time-free range all day

one problem-i live in my parents house and my mother thinks,and i quote ''rabbits are outdoor animals'' ''not the domesticated ones'' ''in the wild they are''

so im putting together a powerpoint kind of thing showing why its a good idea to keep them indoors,how it would save money on substrate etc

they always work ;)

i want some quotes,from real people on why house rabbits are good,about the longer life span etc any information-if anyone could help?:)

thanks in advance

forgot to mention-i pay for toys,hutch/cage/sheds,fleece,runs-but my family pay for food,straw&hay as binky is technically their rabbit,even though i take care of her and treat her like my rabbit,they just cuddle her;)

A puppy pen would be cheaper and easier than dog crates tbh. I had the biggest dog crate you can get and it just looked so bulky and took up a lot of space, a puppy pen/s would be able to be manipulated to how you want it too. You can get them for £30 off eBay, so if you had 2, that's £60 which is near enough the cost of 1 large dog crate.

If they're separate and would have a crate each then that wouldn't really be big enough. They're still only 4ft x 2.5ft. Overnight is when rabbits are most active, being crepsecular (sp?) they are awake during the times we are usually asleep so still need plenty of space in the night. Mine are free range now, they literally laze about/sleep all day and go crazy at night.

Mine don't make a lot of mess as I clean it up straight away really and their hay is contained in/around their storage box litter trays. Blankets are changed weekly, but that's it really! When Leo came indoors he dug up the carpet... So we had to get lino. Poppy lives on laminate so we had to buy rugs for her as it's so slippy, but nothing massive.

Last edited:
ah thanks!

And they're only split for the time being i cant decide weather or not binky should be indoors to be honest,she would much rather prefer living in the shed...but i dont know about them two yet haha

do you know where i can get a decent dog pen? and also do dog pens have lids? because boy,binky can jump!

and i want to have them free ranging all the time eventually but right now,im going to keep them caged at night just for a while if it gets agreed,because they're more likely to agree if they're in a cage for a while but ill see how they settle in to if they get to full free range:lol:

Hiya, hope the folks relent and let you bring them inside.

We're fairly new rabbit owners and have had our rabbits inside from day 1. I came across the same attitude from my fam and friends when we got then and they saw we planned on keeping them in the house "oh, they're indoors rabbits?" :O
Why it's strange that rabbits can be kept indoors I don't know, I'm sure people used to have the same attitude as keeping cats and dogs inside and now people don't think it's strange.
Rabbits are fairly easy to litter train as well so if they are worrying about accidents tell them much easier than a dog!
The other thing people usually ask me is "don't they smell" Litter train them, clean their litter every 1-2 days and spay/neuter and I haven't had an issue.

If you decide to go for a puppy pen I recently bought this one on ebay (the biggest) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOG-METAL..._Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item48501ddfd6
and it's really tall so you won't have any issues with them jumping out.

Good luck :)

I love mine being indoors because they have pretty much constant attention that I feel they wouldn't get outside.

There's never ANY mess outside of their toilet corner.

They feel like a bigger part of the family.

I go through less saw dust as they don't need bedding as such (still get a tonne of hay and when it gets colder I'll create a snuggle corner)

They're easier to monitor behaviour/diet etc

Just a few points why I like them being inside :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I love mine being indoors because they have pretty much constant attention that I feel they wouldn't get outside.

There's never ANY mess outside of their toilet corner.

They feel like a bigger part of the family.

I go through less saw dust as they don't need bedding as such (still get a tonne of hay and when it gets colder I'll create a snuggle corner)

They're easier to monitor behaviour/diet etc

Just a few points why I like them being inside :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My buns outside, but I would second the on'es in bold :wave: x
(and all of the rest but I think those re the most important) x

I would say I think you do pick up on illnesses quicker. You get used to their routine and places they go. If anything changes you spot them so quickly.

They will chew - be prepared for that but...they really do beocme such a part of your family.

Good luck with the persuasion!! :)

I echo all the posts already listed. I'll add that I feel much closer with my bunnies than if they were outside. Mine live in my living room (and when I'm not sick in bed :roll:) that's where I am. So we have a much closer bond and you get to know and love them a lot more :love: Plus, you also can tell when there's something wrong if you know them better, even if it's just a feeling that something's not right and can keep a closer eye on them if they get worse/take them to the vet.

Good luck with the persuasion! :thumb:

You get to know them quicker and build up a bond with them. My dad had the exact same attitude but he did give in and let me keep Benji and now Daisy inside, and although he hates the mess, he loves Daisy really.
I think you're better off being straight with your parents, they will make a mess, even just when eating their hay. But they can be litter trained, so it shouldn't be anything too damaging. Although Daisy has taken a likeness to our wallpaper. :( They will chew your wires, and your remote, but again, these things can be avoided.

You do save money as you don't have to spend as much insulating them and giving them bedding, mine have always preferred to sleep on the carpet. It is also easier to clean up after them inside, in my opinion.

They jump all over you.

They eat your desk.

They drink your coffee (Yes, Ginger...)

They eat you lunch when you are sat at your desk (Yes, Ginger...)

They chew your trouser legs (Yes, Ginger...)

They get kicked when under your desk when you stretch out

They lay over your feet under your desk, thus trapping you so you cannot get out (Yes, Biscuit...)

They leave hay EVERYWHERE. And I mean everywhere :oops:

They jump all over you.

They eat your desk.

They lay over your feet under your desk, thus trapping you so you cannot get out (Yes, Biscuit...)

Ah Ginger seems a bit naughty, so cute:love:

They jump all over you.

They eat your desk.

Awww :love::love::love: your bunnies sound so mischievous.

Yes, I found hay in my bed last week :shock: my bunnies live downstairs in the living room and it was freshly made :shock: (the bed, not the living room :oops::lol:)

Thanks guys!

this is all going in my side of persuasion;)

its looking good atm because my dad was talking to one of his friends and he is obsessed with rabbits!

he was saying about how he has one indoors and its happier and it snuggles on the floor with him and stuff,he said its like a cross between a cat and a dog with less hassle of walking a dog and whatever,my dad loves dogs and my mum loves cats...score;)

my little brothers have also taken a shine to the rabbits but they dont go to see them in the rain so yet another reason for house buns :D

this is such a good price! £25 for the large one!! and can you buy two or three and join them together?just out of curiosity :)

I used 2 extendable fireguards for my set up, the flap part at the top I took off to protect the skirting boards from the bunnies chewing them (they love a bit of skirting board, door and wallpaper) They are quite tall :wave:

ahh!

i want c&c grids but they're too expensive in the uk boo:(

I wanted those too but was short of pennies! I had to section mine off in the room as they were chewing a hole through the door :shock: I got those of a facebook for sale page got the two sets for £18.

I wouldn't keep my bunnies outside as I love seeing them every time I go into the room. I love watching them run around the house and I love that I can care for them without going out in the cold :D

Back