• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What’s best for Jelly?

Alicia

Mama Doe
Jelly has a heart condition and is on daily medication. She lives in a shed with attached run with another bunny, Felix. Some days she seems to stay in bed most of the day, she used to come indoors sometimes and is so much more active indoors and I don’t know if it’s because she’s more comfortable or just exploring. I don’t bring her in now because of the weather difference.

She has heat pads outside but seems to have her good and bad days. Should I bring her in? I don’t really know how to house her indoors and I’m a bit concerned because one of her meds makes her wee a lot more. I’m worried they won’t use the litter tray and the mess of the hay. Any tips/advice? Or should I leave her out? Obviously whatever I decide Felix will stay with her

I've no experience of heart problems in bunnies, nor knowledge for that matter. So I'm sorry I can't offer any advice. I guess I would be factoring in whether her sleepy days would happen if she is inside? How Felix will cope with the change of scene would matter too. Have you asked vets advice?

I'll be honest, house bunnies are messy & hay does get everywhere. It sounds like wee accidents are likely. I see all the cleaning up as exercise & bonding time. I've had bunnies in the centre of my home for decades so obviously I'm converted but I don't think it'd be for everyone

I'm not sure either. Do you have a room that they could have as theirs, so that you could keep it cooler, if only to get through the winter. If that would be possible, it would give you some breathing space to see how they get on indoors, and go from there.

I'm not sure either. Do you have a room that they could have as theirs, so that you could keep it cooler, if only to get through the winter. If that would be possible, it would give you some breathing space to see how they get on indoors, and go from there.

I was thinking along those lines as well. Keeps the mess in one confined area, but you can keep an eye on them better, especially during the worst of the winter. It makes it easier on Jelly and any meds she may need. Some rabbits don't settle indoors if they have always been outside, but if it's a health / old age issue, it's worth doing.

Back