• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter???

Do you find that the soft poos are extremely stinky on excel?! I'm not sure if it's normal, because Bobbin isn't neutered or if it's his food, but my golly do they pong!! :shock: I'm always telling him that if he dares leave a pongy one he won't have anymore dinner! :lol:

My two are on SS but my previous bunny Harvey was on Excel and they STANK. :shock: Didn't realise until I came here that it was probably the Excel. Since my two have been on SS I haven't even seen a soft poo, never mind smelt it :lol: :lol: :lol: Though I did get a whiff of wee when I bent down to kiss Bella just as she decided to lift her bum after weeing. :roll:

:)

Do you find that the soft poos are extremely stinky on excel?! I'm not sure if it's normal, because Bobbin isn't neutered or if it's his food, but my golly do they pong!! :shock: I'm always telling him that if he dares leave a pongy one he won't have anymore dinner! :lol:

Totally agree with you. I get lots of rabbits to bond and I now notice which buns are on Excel they have a distinctive smell to them, the rabbits on other foods are not nearly as bad. I could not have a houserabbit on this food, not sure if feeding less of it will stop this or not.

If I get rabbits to bond or who come in with a history of sticky buns, they are almost always on Excel or a museli type food, once moved on to either SS or Bunny Basics they are fine.

I am not saying that Excel is a bad food just that for houserabbits it is not ideal due to the smell and for some rabbits who require a high fibre diet it is not for them either.

Totally agree with you. I get lots of rabbits to bond and I now notice which buns are on Excel they have a distinctive smell to them, the rabbits on other foods are not nearly as bad. I could not have a houserabbit on this food, not sure if feeding less of it will stop this or not.

If I get rabbits to bond or who come in with a history of sticky buns, they are almost always on Excel or a museli type food, once moved on to either SS or Bunny Basics they are fine.

I am not saying that Excel is a bad food just that for houserabbits it is not ideal due to the smell and for some rabbits who require a high fibre diet it is not for them either.

Bobbin has never had a sticky bum, but has sometimes not eaten all his soft poos. This was fixed by just cutting down a little, but they do still really smell if he leaves the odd one!

Maybe I shall cut down just a little more to see if it helps, he is a really good hay eater so he won't miss out.

I've never noticed any difference in smell with excel, excel lite or SS. All smells like bunny poop to me! Not nearly as bad as rat poo :p

I've never noticed any difference in smell with excel, excel lite or SS. All smells like bunny poop to me! Not nearly as bad as rat poo :p

Outside I dont notice. It is when I am bonding indoors I notice. I have had 6 bunnies inside the past 48 hours and they have all been on Excel, when I came downstairs on Monday morning the smell hit me :( If they are all on something else I dont notice it so much.

Rat poo, never smelt it .... and hope never to do so either. Rats are probably lovely but they are not something I would like to get closely aquainted to.

There was someone recently who had house rabbits, husband was asthmatic and was complaining about the smell of the rabbits. It would be interesting to find out what they had been on.

I prefer a pelleted litter cos of my rabbits' long fur, a light paper type would stick to their fur and so trail all around the house :roll: I had been using woodbased cat litter but have recently changed to use Yesterdays News recycled newspaper pelleted litter. I found the woodbased one when wet would change to powder which one bun in particular found fun to dig in and dig it out of hte tray :roll: This paper one doesnt go to powder, the pellets just swell with urine. Only problem is that it only seems to be available online. I get it from here
http://www.rlpetproducts.co.uk/products_03.php?m=1&s=1

It realy depends on if its an outdoor or indoor bun.
Theres some litters that you just dont want inside.
Ive always used hay with my buns, but i always make sure to put some spare hay away from thier litterbox for eating or nesting, Bunni does quite well with this but Dallas seems to poop on anything she can.
Most buns wont eat alot of soiled hay as long as they have clean hay for feeding, so you shouldnt be too worried.

Back