• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray/training - HELP!

Fluffs

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:

(get ready, this is a long one :shock: )

I need help with my current circumstances about litter trays ect.

When i adopted my 4 year old bunny she pooped in her sleeping area. Obviously this wasn't the best but i didn't know about litter training then.

On getting a new hutch i found out about litter training, so i bought two small ish cat litter trays. I filled them with half a newspaper and a layer of hay and put one down in her run and one in the corner of her sleeping area. I read somewhere that you shouldn't put them there, and it does mean she has less space, but she is a stubborn bun and feels that she needs to poop upstairs.
Following the help of different websites ect. i lead her in there, put her hay there, gave her treats and put stray poops in there. It didn't take long before she started peeing and pooping in there, but over months i had the same problem. Once there were a handful of poops in there, she refused to go in there and instead pooped next to it. The thing is, she doesn't use her other litter tray, and does her business entirely in the upstairs one, so even cleaning it out twice a day is not enough! (she will poop outside)and i can't really clean it out more than that as i'm already running out of newspaper. I don't know if now she is used to pooping out of the tray, and how can i stop her!!!!????? is there maybe a way i can get her to use the downstairs one as well!!!??
Is it because i'm using the wrong litter? I know people use things like megazorb but the only pet shop near me is p@h. :cry:
And i read that some people clean out their litter trays about once a week! does my bunny just poop more than normal or is she a very clean bun?
THANK YOU!!! :D :D :D

I just pick up every poop I see and pop into her litter tray the smells will make her go in there, I didnt clean the litter tray for a few days until she gotten the hang of it and all the smells are there but now I clean out her litter tray every day . Is she spayed? Spaying really helps with litter training , mine isn't spayed until Friday so does has a few poops out the tray but I just pop them in. When I used a cat litter tray she wouldn't really use it! I had to swap it for a 32l storage box and its much better. I only line the bottom with 2 sheets of newspaper and a little hay on the top.

Thanks for the reply x :wave:

everyone seems to use 32l storage boxes, i might try one! :D
do you know where to get them?
however, if she doesn't sleep in it, then she probably won't have any room upstairs...maybe i should try and move her litter tray... :?
i'm glad to see someone else uses hay + newspaper but what's really worrying is that she is spayed...and still pooping outside....

Thanks for the reply x :wave:

everyone seems to use 32l storage boxes, i might try one! :D
do you know where to get them?
however, if she doesn't sleep in it, then she probably won't have any room upstairs...maybe i should try and move her litter tray... :?
i'm glad to see someone else uses hay + newspaper but what's really worrying is that she is spayed...and still pooping outside....

My british friend got hers from wilkos!
Maybe it's the smell attracting her to her bedroom? Maybe you need to give it a scrub with some small pet deodorizer stuff, and removing the tray just for downstairs but if you find poop in her bedroom taking it for the litter tray. Just add any poop you see to the tray and hopefully she'll catch on. My bunny did !

Back