• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter of 8 arrived **Myxi update** ~survivors~

Been to vet with bunnies and are all on antibiotics now although their chests are still clear and no sign of bacterial infection anywhere, they are all munching away but less enthusiastic than yesterday! I have just given them all some metacam to hopefully relive some of their discomfort. they seem to want to cuddle into me for comfort :cry:

I am glad I separated them now at least I have two with no symtoms at all and one with only eye nodules. Had I kept them all together, they may all have the virus by now :cry:

Thanks for all your kind words xx I will continue to fight with them :)

Last edited:
Still keeping everything crossed for the bunnies. My vet decided to "blast"(his words!) Floss with 2 different antibiotics( she was up to date with her vacs )when he suspected nodular myxi although she hadn't presented with respiratory symptoms..she had a really bad eye andnodules erupting all over her body(oddly enough not on her genitals). I suppose the dilemma is that we'll never know if she'd have recovered as a result of, or in spite of, the antibiotics. Fortunately her digestive system appears unaffected by the antibiotics. Everything's such a risk...damned if you do, damned if you don't. Thinking of you and hoping for the best.:)

I also read this today - http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/myxo.html bit bleak reading but about 3 quarters way down mentions something called equimune I.V. for horses - might not even be licensed here. It boosted their immune system even when they'd started with symptoms of myxi. But it also made some of them ill so they modified the dose to twice a week.

Glad yours are now on antibios :) A couple of other points stuck in my mind after what I've read today - they need to be kept very warm, it can last many weeks, even months, and I didn't realise fur mites can also transmit it - chelyta or whatever they're called :shock:

Still keeping everything crossed for the bunnies. My vet decided to "blast"(his words!) Floss with 2 different antibiotics( she was up to date with her vacs )when he suspected nodular myxi although she hadn't presented with respiratory symptoms..she had a really bad eye and nodules erupting all over her body(oddly enough not on her genitals). I suppose the dilemma is that we'll never know if she'd have recovered as a result of, or in spite of, the antibiotics. Fortunately her digestive system appears unaffected by the antibiotics. Everything's such a risk...damned if you do, damned if you don't. Thinking of you and hoping for the best.:)

Thanks and your right
damned if you do, damned if you don't
I just don't know what to do for the best :cry: :cry: you see these bunnies got the vacc after they were already incubating the virus! so Know one know what will happen. This last week has been hellish :evil: :cry:

I also read this today - http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/myxo.html bit bleak reading but about 3 quarters way down mentions something called equimune I.V. for horses - might not even be licensed here. It boosted their immune system even when they'd started with symptoms of myxi. But it also made some of them ill so they modified the dose to twice a week.

Glad yours are now on antibios :) A couple of other points stuck in my mind after what I've read today - they need to be kept very warm, it can last many weeks, even months, and I didn't realise fur mites can also transmit it - chelyta or whatever they're called :shock:

Thanks, I read that one yesterday :cry: and it made me feel even more hopeless :cry: :cry: :cry: but it was a good informative article.
A few more days until I know if they will make it or not.
XX

Oh this is awful :cry: .. i really hope these bunnies pull through, they deserve to:cry:.

Got everything crossed for these wee ones and will be sending loads of vibes to fife.
xxx

Well, all bunnies are still hanging in there! The two who showed symptoms first appear brighter the last 36 hours, the other two are still very poorly but eating and doing their best.

They are all on antibiotics, vitamin injection, avi pro plus and Tyacil eye drops, as well as natural remedies, of Echinacea, euphrasia and Apis mel, also steam inhalation twice a day, which involves filling the bath full of hot water and leaving it for a couple of hours. This really does seem to help with their nasal congestion. ( Their cages are in my bathroom ) it is the quietest room in the house! and easy to give them steam :)

I feel slightly more hopeful today, we are on day 12 of when the fist one showed symptoms.

Apis Mel 30c.
Recommended for insect stings, burning, stinging pains, cystitis, swelling of lower eyelids, absence of thirst.

Apis mel 30c Use for rashes that have red, swelling marks like an insect bites, rosy red hives from allergy from food, bites, etc. Sudden edema whether over the entire body or specific areas. Eyes symptoms such swollen eyelids, edema under the eyes, styes, watery eyes, Conjunctiva reddened, cornea thick, Also sore throat with dryness, feels hot, swollen, difficulty swallowing, without thirst.

Last edited:
*big hugs* Keep fighting!
you must be absolutely exhausted but keep hanging in there...
sending loads of prayers for the babies --x--

I am tired, this has taken over the last 2 weeks! I am determined to save as many of them as I possible can. 2 are still without symptoms, so they are in the clear I would think. They are all such little darling, so brave and tolerant, having injections oral medicines, eye drops as well as having their eyes wiped about 4 times a day. I love them all and can only hope that I am doing the right thing.

xx

I am tired, this has taken over the last 2 weeks! I am determined to save as many of them as I possible can. 2 are still without symptoms, so they are in the clear I would think. They are all such little darling, so brave and tolerant, having injections oral medicines, eye drops as well as having their eyes wiped about 4 times a day. I love them all and can only hope that I am doing the right thing.

xx

You are doing wonders for these babies, you've shown such dedication.

Continuing to hope and pray that these little ones make it.

Aww im glad some of them are starting to look up, hopefully since they are the first to show signs within the next few days the others will be looking up to. Still sending lots of vibes for them all, we can only hope for the best, you are doing a great job and ive never thought about a bath o steamy water thats a fab idea.

By the end of all this you will be wanting to keep them all:rolleyes: :lol:
xx

Aww im glad some of them are starting to look up, hopefully since they are the first to show signs within the next few days the others will be looking up to. Still sending lots of vibes for them all, we can only hope for the best, you are doing a great job and ive never thought about a bath o steamy water thats a fab idea.

By the end of all this you will be wanting to keep them all:rolleyes: :lol:
xx

LOL your right! they are all my babies and I wont want to let them go! :lol:

Wow you are doing a fantastic job of nursing them - brilliant idea keeping them in the bathroom :D Do hope they all pull through - and that you have the strength to keep going till then - you must be unbelievably tired :shock:

just caught up with this... all fingers and paws crossed here that they pull through
1.gif

Thanks everyone, they are all much the same today, and still eating but not drinking quite so much! they are tired fighting this virus :( I feel so sorry for them. But they are always pleased to see me and are happy to be stroked and cuddled.

Thanks everyone, they are all much the same today, and still eating but not drinking quite so much! they are tired fighting this virus :( I feel so sorry for them. But they are always pleased to see me and are happy to be stroked and cuddled.

Aww...im still hoping they will improve. Poor wee things, they are bount to be shattered, so are you. Your doing a great job and thats all they can ask for. xx

Back