• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy - the story of an amputee - *SAD UPDATE*

I should have mentioned this earlier, that you should give Flopsy a pillow. This is what I done w/ my bridg bun Goofball who passed away due to post dental surgery complication a yr. later, unrelated to the bone cancer:

You put a big pillow at the corner

You also put thick towel on the pillow, as well as under the pillow

This is very useful when she pees, then the soft pillow supports her weight due to her imbalance. As she pees, the urine will catch by either the thick towel on top or the ones at the bottom.

The above trick improves her quality of living and thus her stress when she pees.

You have to put some towel soaked w/ urine to "induce" her to use that spot, which has to be a corner for her to do her business as a new spot. Or simply put the pillow and the towel in her usual old spot.

But if she still lives in a cage, you have to take her out around the house for her convenience. If there is stair in the house, what I done is, I bought a children's gate to block the upstair from downstair so she can't injure herself by accidentally falling down the stairwell

You fill my heart with hope and love.Please can I say make the most of the time you have left with your beautiful brave Flopsy:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just sending hugs for you and Flopsy, my Lionel had to have his left hind leg amputated and he continues to do well, i hope Flopsy can pick up again x

love to flopsy

I am so glad flopsy has such a great mum ,and hope she continues to do well ,We lost our boy flopsie last week ,simularly he had his shoulder broken ,but despite seeming to recover died unexpectedly last week ,the pain is unbearable,I was so touched by your story ,please keep us updated and ginve her a cuddle from all her fans ,xxx:wave:

Sad news ...

Hello all, sorry I've not been on to post an update sooner but it is with sadness that I post to say we had to have Flopsy PTS yesterday.

For the last couple of weeks she'd been getting worse, then picking up, then worse and each day was an emotional rollercoaster thinking was this it.

The night before last I didn't think she would survive the night and it's horrible thing to say but I wish that she'd just gone in her sleep.

I took her to the Crem afterwards and as they were quiet he asked me if I'd like to wait and then I could bring her home, I did and she's now on top of her crate looking after Benjy.

Thank you to everyone who posted advice and wishes for her.

Binky free Flopsy, happy, healthy and free xx Anya will look after you now xx

:cry: I'm so sorry Rykat :cry: You did such a wonderful job with her and she knew she was loved :love:

Binky free now little one - whole again and able to binky :love:

Im so sorry to read this you obviously did everything you could for your beautiful bun.Sleep tight beautiful Flopsy xxxxxx

So sorry for your loss, you tried your best. And what you wrote reminds me of the emotional rollercoaster that I gone thru when I have the very same problem w/ my bridge bun Goofball. It's very difficult for me to go thru back then.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area to refill the energy in your home, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

If you can't find a rescue center in your area, some members here wiil do a bunny run and deliver to your place,

But the best bet is for you 2 to find a rescue center that is run by 1 of the members here, then you can get a bonded pair, perhaps even some photos first hand, and a recommendation of that rescue center owner, and drive down there and get the feel of the bonded pair and
pick them up from the rescue center.

Thank you all x

Thank you all for your kind words, it hasn't sunk in yet and poor Benjy is looking very lost.

It was a horrible experience at the vets, I won't go into detail but she didn't give up easily even though she was sedated. My usual vet was doing emergency operation and he always injects in the ear, the vet we saw did it straight into her heart :cry: It was horrible and I never want to experience that ever again.

My heads is so scrambled at the moment as last month I suddenly lost one of my buns (my handsome Pipsqueak aged 6), one of my other buns is poorly (possible EC) so everyone is on Panacur and he's also on Baytril, one of our dogs had a TPLO on her cruciate 2 weeks ago and keeping her quiet is difficult. Have told my OH that after these I'm not having anymore bunnies .. he said 2 words, "yeah" and "right".

All our animals have been rescues and although I still have 7 bunsters, and although I've been looking at the rehoming section and our local rescues, I'm going to hold off adopting another until Harvey is well again, however Pips left behind May and I'm going to try to bond her and Benjy together. When we lost Flopsy I pushed the 2 crates together (with enough gap so she couldn't bite him) and early signs are positive as she's not been her usual territorial grumpyness. Benjy is such a placid/friendly bun and it was love at first sight with him and Flopsy. May is a stroppy cow and has to be the boss but it worked with her and Pips as he was submissive.

I just hope that Flopsy is happy and healthy and binkying all over the bridge. In a few days I'll try to compose a tribute to her but it's too raw at the moment.

Thank you once again to everyone who had offered advice and for your kind words now she's gone, it means alot to know that people care x

Last edited:
what a heartbreaking story - I am in tears. You are a very courageous bunny mum and you did ev erything possible to make sure she was comfortable in her last days.

Definately focus on the health of your other buns and your dog first and give yourself time to heal.

:)

Aw, so sorry for your loss :(

You did the right thing giving her a chance, so many would not have bothered. Everyone deserves the best chance and you gave that to Flopsy.

What a lucky little bun she was to have such a lovely mum.

God bless,
x

Back