• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chance of surviving Full blown Myxomatosis?

lurocheta

New Kit
I live in Perth Australia, I have tried other sites within Australia and I have researched and I have not found any cases of a rabbit surviving it. Here is the long story cut short.

I use to take care of 21 Rabbits but after I lost four of the rabbits from Gi Stasis which took the litter number down to 17 I couldn't take care of them anymore and take care of 3 children so I asked my ex (the first two orginal rabbits was his but i took care of them and their offsping) to take them back to his place since he had a bigger place for them. I kept two with me so he took 15, he found loving homes for 2 of them. so he had 12 to take care of.

17th December I noticed 2 with swollen eyes and one was wheezing, I thought they had snuffles since he kept them outside I took them into his place and cleaned them up and told him to keep them inside and take them to the vet on the monday, the next day he contacted me and said he had found another 4 with red swollen eyes and then by the 19th he had found one of the older ones really sick, he took her to the vet and she had to be pts the vet said it looked like she had Myxomatosis, her genitals was swollen, eyes swollen and discharge coming from nose and eyes, her ears had been infected apparently and she was too far gone, he had explained he had another 8 at least that showed signs but they were only swollen genitals and eyes and only 1 had discharge from the nose, the vet said she had only 1 case that had survived and advised him to have them brought in and pts, he said no he wanted to give them a chance due to them still eating and drinking well.

by the 20th December all remaining 11 rabbits were infected and were in different rooms of his house, he religously medicated them with bactrim and metacam. Sadly they all 2 by 2 died except for one.

He is still alive and never got as bad as the other 11, he has nodules on his ears, lump under his nose, lump on his leg and between the toes on one paw, his eyes are a little swollen but no discharge from nose and very little from eye, his genitals are a little swollen but nothing to the others he has never stopped eating or drinking and is pretty active, he bites his owner when he stops fussing him! it's now been 41 days since the first 2 rabbits were found with swollen eyes and he hasn't lost much weight and his fur is still pretty good although in comparison to the two here safe and sound he does look shaggy, his appetite is good and his still his happy self, he constantly does his little flop on to his side when his relaxing. Is there a chance he will pull through this since it's been 41 days after the outbreak of myxi happened? I don't want to get my hopes up but he is a special little rabbit, at 2 days old I found him in the nest on his own, he was blue and cold but he was moving his little legs in slow motion so I took him out quickly and warmed him up and got him to feed from the doe and he recovered well to the point he was the second biggest in the litter, he has always been different, I don't know why but he was grey all over at first his breed is californian x new zealand, we called him stormy because he looked like storm clouds mixed with white clouds, of course now he is the colour of a californian except he kept a black tuff on his head between his ears. I'm wondering if what happened with him has stregthened his anti bodies and that's why he appears to only have a chronic version of Myxi?

we can not vaccinate the rabbits here in Australia the government will not allow it in fear that the vacine will reach the wild rabbits even though 50% of the wild rabbits appear to survive itthe domestic rabbits have 0% resistance, at the moment Rabbit owners and breeders are sending teddy rabbits in to the government to try and make a statement and have them allow the vacine to be used in Domestic and commercial rabbits.

what is my little guys chances of pulling through this?? his mum, my speacial little girl died 2 weeks ago, I didn't want her to suffer the fate of the others at home and she was pts the vet said her kidneys were compromised so even if she had pulled through the myxi she would never have survived due to the kidneys :( I miss her every day :(

Sorry for the long post, I get a little emotional and get carried away typing!

It really is rotten that you can't vaccinate in Australia, just so sad for the bunny pet owners.

There have been a couple of people on here that have had unvaccinated bunnies survive Myxi. The chances of survival are really slim though. The fact that he seems still quite active and not as bad as the others really is a good sign, but this is not to say that he couldn't get worse.

I really hope that this little one has it in him to fight this. If he did get any worse then I can tell from reading your post that you are a caring bunny person and would know what to do for the best.

Millions of Vibes from me x

I can only echo what Kermit has said. It is so sad that you have gone through such a devastating experience.

I have no experience of the disease, but there are people on here who have had their rabbits recover from myxo with a lot of supportive nursing. Maybe you could do a search for old threads to see what they did. You seem to have a good vet who will support you in treatment for your poorly bun. He seems to be coping at the moment and I wouldn't be giving up hope from your description of his condition.

I wish you and bunny well - in the hope of a full recovery.

Oh god, that's heartbreaking :cry: I guess it's possible that Stormy has some kind of natural immunity, if he's not as bad as the others? I have no myxi experience though. I have read a couple of stories on here about unvaccinated buns surviving.

I really hope the government can be persuaded to lift the ban on the vaccine. It really is ridiculous. I hope Stormy can make it through this. Sending lots of vibes xx

I had five unvaccinated bunnies contract myxi - and they all survived. Sadly, only two of them are still with me now, but one of those is Very Old and the other got through a hydro pyometra too so the myxi hadn't weakened her ability to fight.

I don't know why my all got through it. At the time I had no idea how serious it was (was a long time ago) and expected them all to survive. I didn't bring them in or separate them or do anything differently apart from take them to the vet a lot and give them medication.

It IS possible for a bun to survive myxi. Good luck. xxxx

Don't worry about the statistics, you need to make the judgement based on the quality of life now and if he recovers. I would carry on if he has made it this far and seems like he wants to go on

Back