• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter of 8 arrived **Myxi update** ~survivors~

Awww :( I think as they were unvaccinated when you got them they will have all caught it but be dealing with it differently depending on how strong their immune systems are individually. Vaccinating now won't have had any effect as they are already fighting it, and it takes a couple of weeks for antibodies to build up from vaccines. Sadly, unvaccinated rabbits stand virtually no chance of pulling through this illness so I know I will get hated for saying this but I would PTS incase they infect the other rabbits - it's even been known for vaccinated rabbits to catch myxi, although they can recover with intensive nursing. Very very sad for these beautiful babies :cry:

Awww :( I think as they were unvaccinated when you got them they will have all caught it but be dealing with it differently depending on how strong their immune systems are individually. Vaccinating now won't have had any effect as they are already fighting it, and it takes a couple of weeks for antibodies to build up from vaccines. Sadly, unvaccinated rabbits stand virtually no chance of pulling through this illness so I know I will get hated for saying this but I would PTS incase they infect the other rabbits - it's even been known for vaccinated rabbits to catch myxi, although they can recover with intensive nursing. Very very sad for these beautiful babies :cry:

Thanks.

They all came into the rescue last Saturday afternoon, one with full blown Myxi was pts, the others still showing no symptoms were vaccinated last Monday. The 3 now showing symptoms are all together in one hutch, isolated from any other rabbits, the remaining 4 are all together in another hutch and still showing no symtoms! My vet feels that along with heir own immunity and the vaccinations that it is worth holding on before putting to sleep, there are still no snuffles and they are all eating and drinking, one has a high temp though.
I have treated a vaccinated rabbit in the past who caught myximatosis despite being vaccinated 3 months previously, it took a lot of care and many weeks but he is fighting fit now and the biggest healthiest rabbits that I have ever seen :)

The next few days will tell what happens to my beautiful baby buns :cry:

Personally I would seperate them, they will need to be seperated soon anyway due to their age. I am of the understanding that cross contamination with myxi occurs when the eyes start to water and discharge from nose starts. If the remaining buns that have no symptoms yet dont have this then they may have a chance. Myxi is really only contracted through biting insects so if the others have not been bit and not in contact with those who have the nose and eye discharge then they might have a chance, especially having now been vaccinated although the vaccine does take 14 days to become truely effective. You could seperate them so that they can see each other but with a gap so that they cannot physically touch each other;)

If I were you, I would be using advantage on the ones that seem healthy and all of the buns, the myxi buns too, I would be giving them echancia tinture every day to boost their immune system;) large bottle from boots is £6.00;) think it was 1 week on and 2 weeks off with echancia but will check on that;)

Personally I would seperate them, they will need to be seperated soon anyway due to their age. I am of the understanding that cross contamination with myxi occurs when the eyes start to water and discharge from nose starts. If the remaining buns that have no symptoms yet dont have this then they may have a chance. Myxi is really only contracted through biting insects so if the others have not been bit and not in contact with those who have the nose and eye discharge then they might have a chance, especially having now been vaccinated although the vaccine does take 14 days to become truely effective. You could seperate them so that they can see each other but with a gap so that they cannot physically touch each other;)

If I were you, I would be using advantage on the ones that seem healthy and all of the buns, the myxi buns too, I would be giving them echancia tinture every day to boost their immune system;) large bottle from boots is £6.00;) think it was 1 week on and 2 weeks off with echancia but will check on that;)

I have thought about separating the remaining 4 ( available hutches or cages is the problem )and I may do that later today. I doubt that echinacea will help at this late stage, as it does not boost the immune system straight away, but it can do no harm and i have started them all on a course.

There is no eye or nose discharge as yet. I am a bit concerned about the one with the high temp! is there anything I can give it to make it feel better? if it were a child I would give it calpol!! :cry:

I have thought about separating the remaining 4 ( available hutches or cages is the problem )and I may do that later today. I doubt that echinacea will help at this late stage, as it does not boost the immune system straight away, but it can do no harm and i have started them all on a course.

There is no eye or nose discharge as yet. I am a bit concerned about the one with the high temp! is there anything I can give it to make it feel better? if it were a child I would give it calpol!! :cry:

calpol is perfectly ok for buns as I remember pendragon writting about it helping bloat along side infacol, this is the link with the dosage:D not sure how long you can use it for those in this case though. I have used it and I know Jill has too, just let your vet know that they have it if you need to go to the vets in an emergency;) I would stock up on water bottles in the fridge so that the bun with the temperature can lean against it to keep cool:) cooled dampened face cloths wiped over the ears regularly may help too perhaps:?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46658&page=2

I personally would still use the echancia as both this and the vaccine will kick in around the time the myxi is likely to start showing if they are going to go down with it so their immune system should start to kick in once boosted and start fighting the disease :)

The remaining 4 not showing symptoms are all in separate hutches now and looking well :D how long this will last though I do not know!

the three with symptoms are all indoors, one is more advanced with the virus and I have given 0.5 ml of calpol and she is lying against a cool water bottle in a deep bed of hay. I have put Echinacea in their water bottles.

I don't know what else to do :cry:

I think your doing all you can really, not a nice situation to be in:cry: you are doing everything from I can see and only about another 7 - 10 will tell if they are in the clear or not.

Its just a thought but maybe some really dense curtain netting over the run and hutch of the outdoor buns might help too so that no biting insects can get in:) I am only assuming here so could be wrong but have often wonder if, a bun with myxi can attract more insects from the watery eyes and nasal discharge and be bitten again by an infected mozzy or flea making the myxi virus totally un-cureable:? abit like how cows seem to attract flies around their eyes and sticky bottom in bunnies can attract flies etc:?

Has your vet discussed using antibiotic's incase of secondary infections tha tend to occur with myxi ?

This question is in general to anyone on here really but I have read that there are not any disinfectants that can thoroughly clean hutches that have had myxi virus in them and that their accomodation should be left for some months before using again so that the virus has chance to die, is this true does anyone know?

I think your doing all you can really, not a nice situation to be in:cry: you are doing everything from I can see and only about another 7 - 10 will tell if they are in the clear or not.

Its just a thought but maybe some really dense curtain netting over the run and hutch of the outdoor buns might help too so that no biting insects can get in:) I am only assuming here so could be wrong but have often wonder if, a bun with myxi can attract more insects from the watery eyes and nasal discharge and be bitten again by an infected mozzy or flea making the myxi virus totally un-cureable:? abit like how cows seem to attract flies around their eyes and sticky bottom in bunnies can attract flies etc:?

Has your vet discussed using antibiotic's incase of secondary infections tha tend to occur with myxi ?

This question is in general to anyone on here really but I have read that there are not any disinfectants that can thoroughly clean hutches that have had myxi virus in them and that their accomodation should be left for some months before using again so that the virus has chance to die, is this true does anyone know?

Hi, rabbits all slightly worse today and the 3 indoors are now 4 and all the remaining 3 will be indoors by this evening but in a different room from those showing symptoms , but still eating and drinking. There are no secondary infections as yet that we can treat with antibiotics but we will be doing that if the time comes.

All my hutches are treated with indorex spray and I am happy to say I have no problems with insects :)

No sticky eyes or noses yet but swelling on eyes, base of ears and head, one rabbit has nodules on ears to. No high temps today so far!

I am not sure about the hutches they have been using! as to cleaning and using them again, I will need to look in to that! :?

AWw i missed this.
So sorry to hear the buns were poorly and am very sorry for the one that was PTS.
I do hope they all recover well and you are doing a good job, im sure if they were disinfected well and scrubbed they would be fine?? maybe have to find out from someone else though just to be sure.
Sending lots of vibes xx

AWw i missed this.
So sorry to hear the buns were poorly and am very sorry for the one that was PTS.
I do hope they all recover well and you are doing a good job, im sure if they were disinfected well and scrubbed they would be fine?? maybe have to find out from someone else though just to be sure.
Sending lots of vibes xx

Thanks

I use Virkon for the hutches normally but will get my vet to check it out for me :D

Let us know how these poor babies are xxx
Still sending lots of vibes.

If you need a hand with anything Kareen i dont stay to far away. x

Back