• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lily has been admitted...it's serious....impacted gut.

Thank you all so much. No Amanda I encountered it for the first time with my first housebound many years back..but she was extremely lucky she survived it but she never got impacted.
Yvette I'm sorry but it's why I haven't rung you back..

Well the vet rang tonight and said her lump is still there and she's passed a few more poops and even a teeny bit of food by herself as well as feeds! BUT I'm not to think she's ok cos her tummy is so tender they cannot even touch it without her being in great pain and she's on a very high dose of meacam she said.

I told her my worry was that I got lily this time last year from a rescue who had her speyed and said she was 4 1/2 . The letter I got from the vet confirming I'd paid my donation against vet cost for the rescue said she was actually 5 1/2 and when they speyed her there was some blood present but they said it was perceived to be from trauma. I never told pet plan as it was not a condition being speyed! And I never altered her age I mean the vets could have got it wrong at the time.

The worry is lily is classed as middle aged to elderly and takes more time to recover and more at risk. Being speyed so late makes her a high risk for mammary cancer too she said. So she's taken the info on board and is ringing me tomorrow hopefully good news. I'm pessimistic as loved ones I have lost and beloved pets with life threatening/critical illnessses have seemed to have remarkably improved got better almost then suddenly soon after gone downhill and died. I told her I'm paranoid like that but she understood..she's lovely and very bun savvy.

So keep those bunny vibes coming please...my little middle aged girlie needs to recover totally and come home.

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to your dear bun. :( Adding vibes and prayers that Lily will improve and recover fully, bless her. (((((((((((((((((((((Healing vibes and prayers))))))))))))))))
Hugs for you, Debbie (((((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))))))) you've been through so much, sweetie. :cry:

Has the Vet considered using additional analgesia, Metacam alone, even at the highest dose, is often inadequate in serious GI tract cases. Tramadol may be an option if the Vet would be agreeable. Some Vets would possibly use Vetergesic, but lately there appears to be some talk about it's actual effectiveness in Rabbits and that it is also very sedating. Personally I have always found it useful when it has been prescribed for a Rabbit in my care, but as with all Veterinary Medicine opinions on various treatment protocols change as more knowledge is gained.

Also, including Lactulose alongside aggressive fluid therapy (both oral and SQ or IV) can be helpful. Lactulose is an osmotic laxative and can work well once the Rabbit is well hydrated.

I hope Lily can recover xx

More vibes for Lily.

Cutie-pie is middle aged and was spayed at 5. Other than not eating for a few days and having to leave her at the vets she was fine. Can't be 100% sure of her age, but she would be over 6 years old now, as I have had her over a year now. Had no idea about mammary cancer.

Keeping all my fingers crossed for Lily. xxxxx

Thank you all so much...it's amazing but she's eating by herself and pooing without the meta lop and Zantac needed anymore. She is on a very high dose of metacam but I know what you mean Jane....Bertie used to get vetergesic plus metacam and when he did he used to pass out till after hours I'd syringe feed him as he was too tired to eat.
Lily didn't warrant an X-ray as she's recovered so amazingly well..has stunned the vet and us! Must have been al the vibes here and the wonderful nursing she got at the vets. The vet has said practically gone except for a kind of thickening some form of stricture. I recall my bridge doe big had this and they misdiagnosed it as poss cancer and to have her pts. Second opinion showed inflamed gi tract and she always had gi probs which I put down to her terrible life before the rescue and being a dental bun. But she'd suffer pancake bottom and teeny poops.
The stricture I asked could possibly like merlin with his having the fatty tissues lipomas wound around his gi tract? Possibly but I don't think I'd want to ask her to be xrayed as she'd have to be sedated I think she's been through enough. But I will treat her like I do merlin.

I could have struggled to find a taxi and pay double fare today but our vet insisted shed keep her in one more night and bring her down to the local branch after 2pm tomorrow. I'm over excited and overjoyed but amazed at how she's turned around so fast.

Thank you for the lactulose suggestion Jane...I have some that needs replacing as I use it from time to time for our kitty Zuzu. I am sharing any tips and advice from experienced folks on here...I'll definitely add that. I'm lucky our vet is a lovely young lady who's the only person bluebell will behave for, and is bun savvy. Such a relief to have more than one vet at same practice ***** but savvy...just said most of the time it's the ones who aren't that are on emergency!

I've just ordered more hay from dust free hay company as stupid me forgot it was a double bank holiday!

I'm so shocked and delighted at Lily's amazing turnaround.

Amanda I was shocked when she said it too as you think once speyed it is ok but you don't realise being speyed later in life for a doe who's apparently healthy is still high risk mammary cancer.

Has anyone else had a critically I'll bun with Lily's problem only to have such an amazing recovery?

Thank you all so much...on top of losing my beloved Bertie bun then my poor mum and then to lose lily or any of our fur babies makes me sick. I've had bluebell so I'll..and poor Baxter who will still need a dental after the sudden resp infection....I really feel I'm an awful person...and because I wentbtomtown on my bedroom carpet yesterday.poor hunnybunnys stressed out and I've had to give her some oral meds and a cuddle...she's eaten some food...gods what did I do! Stress makes me so I'll so now I know the bravest bun.....lily is as badly affected as hunnybunnys and merlin. Such a shock.

That is great news that she is recovering well, what a good vet you have too. Sending her more vibes to make sure she continues to eat on her own x

That's great news little Lily bun is recovering so well. She will be so happy to be back home safe and sound. xxxx

Thank you so much. X

Well the vet rang me this morning and couldn't believe it.....lily had diarrhoea :shock::(

Poor little lily. So she was kept in today and tonight and hopefully she will have responded to fibre piles etc enough to come home as she suffers so much from stress at the vets as much as my darling big did.

Tomorrow the hay delivery is due....sometime........the councils mandatory annual boiler check which I've cancelled twice already...is between midday and about 5pm....if our vet brings lily back to horndean then it will be after 2pm when I can collect her....

What's the betting it will all happen at once?

I can't cancel again....but I can insist he waits for me to return with lily and tough poo on him....I would be five to twenty mins for heavens sakes.....and as for the hay I have no choice but to leave the porch door unlocked for the delivery to go in there.....which means boiler bloke wil have to wait for me to drag it bit by bit into the lounge or he won't be able to get in.

The sad thing is ive shifted 4 bags of non food rubbish....two bags of food rubbish and about three huge sacks of recycling from my kitchen without remembering to empty the box of recycling on the work top. It doesn't look any different.......and from the downstairs loo......3 litter trays worth of peed on kitty litter with a bag of poo secured in a special bag from the litter locker....lovely! I've got just enuff room in my compost bin to empty baxters litter tray into. And I am so embarrassed by the mess everywhere. But happy cos I achieved a safe clean bedroom carpet....and hunnybunnys fine now too......can I relax now? No that'd be too easy...yesterday I had ibs attacks and two day headache which is now the nerve pain thingy......I need a shower wash my hair clean clothes etc....not going to happen in this state!

Come on lily Munster tell em what's wrong and let mummy collect you and apologise to you for the next week...least they're be loads of a rummy fresh hay to nom on....

:shock: You have alot to contend with. Hope Lily is fine for tomorrow.

Don't really like work men in the house. Had 2 in the last 10 days. You will love this, £1,337.00 for a quote on a new back door, well you know I would have loved to have booted him out that door, along with his quote. I did get rid of him very quickly.

Wish I had your poo bag to hand.

Hope tomorrow goes well. xxx

Ooh you have a lot on! The boiler man can take a seat on the hay bales whilst he's waiting for you :lol: Hope Lily continues to improve, lots of vibes from here x

Back