• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian not well - again. U/D 7pm 25th

I'm glad she seems to be doing well. Hoping she continues to improve.

That's really hard to hear about Rantidine I'm convinced it save Primrose's life a good few times before we finally lost our battle.

I knew it had been linked to human problems but had hoped they'd keep it for those animals that didnt seem to suffer them.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm glad she seems to be doing well. Hoping she continues to improve.

That's really hard to hear about Rantidine I'm convinced it save Primrose's life a good few times before we finally lost our battle.

I knew it had been linked to human problems but had hoped they'd keep it for those animals that didnt seem to suffer them.

There is Cimetidine. http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/hare-drugs.html

Quick update at 11am from Lillian. There was no sign of pee this morning so I knew it was now time to escalate things quickly for Lillian’s health. The lovely vet had already pre booked a slot this morning just in case (I think she knew anyway) and Lillian went to vet hospital at 9:30 for initial xray with possible escalation depending on the xray results. I’ve been really really stressed with life at the moment - my job isn’t helping and I did a stress self analysis last night and failed it with dangerous levels.
So I was tearful leaving Lillian - I feared the worst but she is in very good hands. And I went home to wait.
About 40 minutes later I got the call.
Prognosis? Well, there is NO stone at all - which was probably the best news I could have had at that time. They did, however, find evidence of sludge as it shows up on xray. The vet was very very upbeat and positive. They’ll take a urine sample just to rule out anything else and give Lillian anti inflammatories and up the pain meds and hopefully the anti inflamatories will ease the discomfort and inflammation making it easier for Lillian to pass urine and hopefully manually pass the sludge element. If not then itlll be an op with the catheter to flush it out.
She’s spending a few hours at the hospital under obs but o know she is being well looked after and in safe hands.
Insurance doesn’t cover her so it’ll be a big hit for me but Lillian is worth every penny.
I’ll update you all later.
Craig xx

Quick update at 11am from Lillian. There was no sign of pee this morning so I knew it was now time to escalate things quickly for Lillian’s health. The lovely vet had already pre booked a slot this morning just in case (I think she knew anyway) and Lillian went to vet hospital at 9:30 for initial xray with possible escalation depending on the xray results. I’ve been really really stressed with life at the moment - my job isn’t helping and I did a stress self analysis last night and failed it with dangerous levels.
So I was tearful leaving Lillian - I feared the worst but she is in very good hands. And I went home to wait.
About 40 minutes later I got the call.
Prognosis? Well, there is NO stone at all - which was probably the best news I could have had at that time. They did, however, find evidence of sludge as it shows up on xray. The vet was very very upbeat and positive. They’ll take a urine sample just to rule out anything else and give Lillian anti inflammatories and up the pain meds and hopefully the anti inflamatories will ease the discomfort and inflammation making it easier for Lillian to pass urine and hopefully manually pass the sludge element. If not then itlll be an op with the catheter to flush it out.
She’s spending a few hours at the hospital under obs but o know she is being well looked after and in safe hands.
Insurance doesn’t cover her so it’ll be a big hit for me but Lillian is worth every penny.
I’ll update you all later.
Craig xx
Poor Lillian :(

I hope she doesn't have to have a bladder flush, they really upset Clementine, she's a right state for a while after :( maybe something to discuss with your vet, but we ended up using a diuretic to help her manually flush it, and it's worked quite well tbh for her in the past, and it's obviously less invasive.. She may need the initial flush though if she can't pass anything obviously. Was just a thought, as unless absolutely necessary I don't think I'd put Clementine through anymore flushes tbh she's had a few and they seem to be really bad for her.

Sending lots of vibes for you and Lillian xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pleased to hear that its not a stone Craig, that's a big plus. Your vets sound really on the ball with her, so hopefully she will be able to pass it herself. Sending tons more vibes for your girl, and loads for you too Craig, so sorry you are stressed, big hugs xxx

Poor Lillian :(

I hope she doesn't have to have a bladder flush, they really upset Clementine, she's a right state for a while after :( maybe something to discuss with your vet, but we ended up using a diuretic to help her manually flush it, and it's worked quite well tbh for her in the past, and it's obviously less invasive.. She may need the initial flush though if she can't pass anything obviously. Was just a thought, as unless absolutely necessary I don't think I'd put Clementine through anymore flushes tbh she's had a few and they seem to be really bad for her.

Sending lots of vibes for you and Lillian xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I agree, a diuretic and aggressive fluid therapy as well as the anti-inflammatories is often beneficial in cases of bladder sludge. Not sure if you have already been given dietary advice for Lillian to try to manage the hypercalcaemia in the long term, but this Diet Sheet may be useful to take a look at

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

Vets just rang again - Lillian is responding remarkably well to the treatment (meds) and increased pain meds and they have expressed some pee which tested fine, not concerned about the colour so the vets view is that supportive pain meds and anti inflamatories will mean Lillian can pass the sludge naturally. She is eating positively - always a good sign with Lillian and they are happy to discharge her at 3pm today.
All very positive news.

7PM update for everybun. Collected Lillian at 3pm after meeting an adorable husky whilst I was socially distance waiting. All 46kilos of him. What a softee.
Had a quick chat with the vet nurse and came home. The vets had given Lillian an anylgesic and she is completely zonko. She just wanted to sit in the carrier so I lifted her out - Leo was excited to see her but despite his keen-ness, Lillian just ran past and flopped in the sleeping area and she literally hasn't moved for 3 hours. She's not really showed any interest in food - she is just totally out of it. I've had experience with anylgesic injections before and it's always been the same result.
To be honest it's quite stressfull to see because she really isn't with it and there's nothing I can do at this stage. She just wants to lie there and let the pain meds do what they have to do and hopefully by the morning she will be much more with it and showing her usual appetite and awareness.
It's been a very stressful day for her, but the prognosis from the day was much better than I had hoped for. I think the decision to have an x-ray was on balance, the right one because we were able to rule out any stones, and although there is evidence of sludge, the vet was confident that at this stage, we can treat it non invasively.
So it's good night from Lillian for now - she is so grateful for all your lovely thoughtful comments, support and vibes. As I am.
Craig xx

Glad to read such a positive update. Hopefully both you and Lillian will have a good night's sleep xxx

I agree, a diuretic and aggressive fluid therapy as well as the anti-inflammatories is often beneficial in cases of bladder sludge. Not sure if you have already been given dietary advice for Lillian to try to manage the hypercalcaemia in the long term, but this Diet Sheet may be useful to take a look at

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view
Hello Jane, I had bunnies with bladder stones in the past so I read the sheet. On the third bullet point it says spinach is OK since high calcium diluted; and then on the seventh bullet point it says not to feed spinach due to high oxalates?? I do not use it now, yet wonder if I am reading it wrong.

Vets just rang again - Lillian is responding remarkably well to the treatment (meds) and increased pain meds and they have expressed some pee which tested fine, not concerned about the colour so the vets view is that supportive pain meds and anti inflamatories will mean Lillian can pass the sludge naturally. She is eating positively - always a good sign with Lillian and they are happy to discharge her at 3pm today.
All very positive news.

It is wonderful to hear Lillian is responding to treatment and able to pass some pee/sludge. Does she normally drink/get plenty of fluids? Like Jane mentioned fluids can help to carry the sludge out of the body. Sending you and Lillian lots of vibes for a good morning.

Bless Lillian I hope she had a good night last night. Did you spy any eating or popping? Sending lots of vibes for one of my favourite girlies :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good evening every bun. Quick update for you all. Last night before bed I picked her up - she was in a world of her own from the anylgesic. I could feel her having a sneaky pee but I didn’t mind - after all she’s been thro it was a welcome relief. She left quite the mark on me - a huge great swathe if toothpaste were - obviously calcium expulsion and really good to get that out of her. I was swatting you on some medical sites and it would seem that with the alylgesic then rabbits could actually get the sludge out easier during a wee. So I think that’s why the vets gave her the anylgesic. She had eaten a bit and had a drink.
She’s out in the garden now (6:30pm) looking a bit brighter. I’ve just cleaned the toilet area out and certainly evidence of pee. It’ll take her a few days as it always does but at this stage she appears to be going in a positive direction. Small weight loss, peeing calcium, eating and looking comfortable in the garden. She is having a bad moult right now so that doesn’t help.
Thank you all for following and all the kind vibes.
Craig

That's good news Craig, thanks for posting an update. Glad she's managing to expel sludge herself, that will make her feel better. Hope you are a bit less stressed now, you and Mrs Craig are doing a great job with Lillian and Leo, they are lucky buns xxx

Aww I'm glad shes doing better.

And that's really good to know re sludge.

Rodney had a flush not too long ago but the vet did say it wasnt greatly effective and we might need to try different methods if it becomes a problem again.

Back