• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillian not well - again. U/D 7pm 25th

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Lillian isn't well again - and typically it's a weekend. I feel as though I am still on a learning curve with rabbit behaviour although hopefully I am getting better.
Lillian appeared fine at the end of last week. Yesterday (saturday) she was keen to go outside and sat in the garden and the garage all day whilst I was home. I took her and Leo a plate of food in the garage and she was tucking into it quite happily. By 4pm she had come out to the garden and sat in her favoite spot under a buch (which is also strangely on top of where Ben and Georgina lie). I was in the kitchen doing the ironing and cooking and as I watched out, I noticed that she kept switching positions every minute/90 seconds. It was so obvious. It looked like she just couldn't get comfortable.
When I brought her in, she was a bit damp underneath and seemed to struggle when she tries to pee. And output in the toilet area seemed to be down. She drank from the bowl and the water bottle - which she only really does when she is not well. And her appetite when she came in wasn't there.
So I administered some metacam and metaclopromide. She just didn't settle.
This morning she still didn't seem herself - still a bit damp underneath but no appetite and no real positive output from her. More metaclopromide but again, no real appetite even when she went into the garden. More metacam tonight and more metaclopromide (now out of metaclopromide) and gave her a gentle clran underneath and some flamzene. Also administered critical care - which is a battle with her because it's not her favorite.
Not just 10 minutes ago I heard a munching noise from the kitchen and could see Leo's leggies stretched out so I slowly stood up and walked over to the kitchen/diner door and could just see the top of Lillians head facing away - and there in the light I could see the unmistakable movement of Lillians cheeks going in and out - so she was munching. I didn't investigate further - she knew I was there watching and that was good enough for us both. More important that she continued to eat even a small amount - it will all help move the digestive system.
As at this moment I'm not sure what the problem is. It could be an episide of stasis caused by unknown. It might be possible wind - I don't know much about wind or gas but it must be very painful and I think it's related to stasis but outside of that I don't know much more to be honest.
I would have taken her to the vet today regardless of the horrendous emergency costs that would have entailed, but in the first instance in my opinion I felt I had the necessary meds to deal with the symptoms as they were, and if there is little change in the morning I will book a vet appointmet for tomorrow evening. I may well do so as a matter of course anyway as the vets can sound her tummy whereas I can't and I don't really know what I am feeling for.
I'll update the thread as and when with Lillians progress.
Craig xx

Last edited:
Sounds like you might have caught it before it progresses any further, Craig. Hope she continues to improve.

Sending loads of vibes for Lillian, a munching bun is always a good sign, hope she's looking better in the morning. You are so observant and intutative with your bunnies Craig, they are very lucky having you taking care of them xx

Bertie and I send lots of vibes. Really good news that munching has resumed. Think I might be inclined to have her checked over by the vet to be on the safe side. Bertie has had temporary weeing issues (straining and outside his tray) linked to being off his food. In his case I think it was a nervous response to some kind of stress. He was prescribed gut stimulant and was ok within a day or so. He sends munching vibes to Lillian.

Can you tell if struggle is to pee or poo?
If pee, possible sludge or stone. Sending vibes.

This

Also, please be so very careful administering any prokinetics if Bunny has no fecal output. It is such a huge risk to do so unless you are certain there is no chance of a GI tract obstruction. Forgive me for saying this if you have already ascertained that from abdominal palpation/auscultation and blood glucose testing, but others reading this thread may not realise that administering prokinetics-eg Metoclopramide to an obstructed Rabbit could prove to be fatal :cry:

I hope Lillian will be feeling better soon x

Thank you all for your vibes. Quick update at 6am
I was getting texts last night whilst I was in bed from my wife (I go to bed early due to work) and she was updating saying Lillian was eating some herbs and just to get her interested, a bit of pellet. So that was positive.
This morning I’ve just chopped some fresh greens, mint, corriander and parsley and held my breath. After a couple of minutes, Lillian came over to the breakfast munchies and dug in. I sprinkled a couple of dried cranberries on top and it’s amazing to see how they can differentiate food and she started to sniff actively round the mixture of greens and strong smelling herbs to locate the cranberries.
So this is all positive. Not checked her underneath yet. And yes bunny mamma, I think we’ll take her to the vet this evening just to make sure I’m not missing anything.
I’ll update tonight. Thanks again for your vibes.
Craig. X

Thank you for sharing that Lillian is still interested in some foods. I am sending you and Lillian lots of positive vibes for her vet visit this evening.

Vibes for Lillian

Have you tried Rantidine(Zantac) for these little episodes? We found it really helped and our vet was always happy for us to give without an exam as its gentle.

I think you can only get the tablets these days but fairly easy to crush and suck up a syringe.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Vibes for Lillian

Have you tried Rantidine(Zantac) for these little episodes? We found it really helped and our vet was always happy for us to give without an exam as its gentle.

I think you can only get the tablets these days but fairly easy to crush and suck up a syringe.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

All forms of Ranitidine have now been withdrawn from sale unfortunately

https://psnc.org.uk/our-news/supply...mg/2ml injection is,with no date for resupply.

Detailed update for all you Lillian fans out there. Just got back from the vets. It was the right thing to do in the circumstances - you had all been so kind and supportive and it was only right to respect that and have a professional check Lillian over. When I put her in the carrier at 6pm she was still dry although I noticed she seemed to be struggling to pass wee in the garden. I was a bit concerned at that.
The vet we saw was the same lovely vet as Lillian saw 4 weeks ago. So I was grateful for the continuity. It's a very weird experience at the vets now, but one has to respect the new distancing rules. I gave the vet the full debrief - that's 15 minutes of her life she won't get back :lol: but I felt I needed to be thorough so she knew what she was looking for.
10 agonising minutes later, Lillian returned with a bag of meds (I asked for metaclopromide) and it's always positive when a vet returns with your loved pet.
She gave Lillian a very thorough examination. She felt no sign of obstruction and she said she pressed quite firm and Lillian was very comfortable with that (something she certainly wasn't happy about on saturday with me). She sounded her tummy and said there was some gut movement - not sure exactly how much but some. She was also very pleased to say that Lillian had lost some weight - and my face lit up (I'm easily pleased aren't I). She was 3.65k a month ago, now she is 3.5k - which doesn't sound like much but the vets have always raised an issue with her weight so finally we had some evidence of her weight going the right way. I know it's only 150g but that's in a month and the vet said it was much better to have weight loss in small steps rather than a sudden crash.
It was suggested that it could be sludge but she couldn't tell from her physical examination. An Xray would show this up if it existed along with any stone although again, the vet couldn't feel a stone. It was June last year when Lillian had her bladder stone.
She has provisionally booked an appointment tomorrow at 9:20 if Lillian doesn't improve or if we are still concerned - and we can go down the x-ray route.
The vet said Lillian presented well, bright, alert so most of the signs were positive.
We got her home - she knew when we were home, and we administered her meds - she happily takes metacam. And then she tucked into a bit of cabbage but not fully stuffing her face - possibly just the metaclopromide making her feel a bit peckish. Leo looked on, slighlty uninterested and then proceeded to stuff his face with the special dried pellets.
Lillian came into the living room and flopped under our table, puffing away as she was stressed and something quite amazing happened - Leo came over and started to give her the most intricate and thorough face lick, cleaning her ears inside and out, eyes and forehead. I've never ever seen him do that before and it was quite an amazing moment.
I'm not convinced Lillian is fully out of the woods yet - perhaps it will take a few days again for her to recover after the metaclopromide and her digestive system. We discussed in the car that perhaps Lillian is just one of those rabbits with a very delicate and sensitive digestive system and she is prone to these flare ups?
I'll update in the morning and if we do go for the x-ray.
Thank you again for all your kind vibes. Lillian is very grateful for the love and support she gets from you all.
Craig xx

Thanks for update Craig, was wondering how things were going with Lillian. Vet sounds really thorough, so hopefully she will pick up now and not need the xray. Oh bless Leo, that made me well up. Sending more vibes along from me, George and Treacle xx

Back