• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lillabelle

Thats a really good update! No idea about youngsters & feeding so sorry I can't advise with that as I think their requirements are quite different from adults

I'm starting to introduce Science Selective Junior into her feed now. I have plenty of mix left so no rush to wean her over.

Just wondered how much to give her please anyone?

She has 3 egg cupfuls of mix a day at moment. Alfalfa hay has not arrived yet. Should arrive any day now.

I've given her a quarter of an egg cupful of SS to three quarters mix once today. Do I continue to do that with all 3 feeds now? Or do I give her just mix for the other feeds to start? Just don't want to mess her little tummy up but she is hungry!

She eats her egg cupful of food really quickly and then looks for more. Her tummy is really slim now and she looks a good weight at moment but I wouldn't want her tummy to get any smaller. She has grown so much and changed shape to very tall and leggy in the last week.

Would appreciate some help with her feeding again when someone has a chance please. Thank you so much xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Feel her ribs and spine to verify she is a good weight for her size and adjust food intake accordingly. They should not feel too prominent or sharp, nor should they be obscured by fat. Be consistent and just put less new in each feeding.

Last edited:
Young animals do tend to grow in spurts - they fatten up, grow and get thin, then repeat. Weigh her weekly to monitor her growth.
If her poo is consistent, she is fine. She also needs to be eating a lot of hay - a good habit for a young bunny.

As for the pellets etc - I woud use the same mix at each feed. I tend to add the new stuff to the bag of the old stuff, and just add more new every week for about a month.Then it will be all the new feed.

Feel her ribs and spine to verify she is a good weight for her size and adjust food intake accordingly. They should not feel too prominent or sharp, nor should they be obscured by fat. Be consistent and just put less new in each feeding.
She feels a perfect weight to me at the moment so will just try to maintain that then thank you xx

Young animals do tend to grow in spurts - they fatten up, grow and get thin, then repeat. Weigh her weekly to monitor her growth.
If her poo is consistent, she is fine. She also needs to be eating a lot of hay - a good habit for a young bunny.

As for the pellets etc - I woud use the same mix at each feed. I tend to add the new stuff to the bag of the old stuff, and just add more new every week for about a month.Then it will be all the new feed.
Ah that's a good idea with the feed. I've just added a little new to each scoop of her feed and top up with new for 4 days. Then increasing the new. But yes your way sounds good.

I will weigh her. That will be fun as she never sits stil! [emoji23] xxx

Just weighed her and she is 3.3 kgs!! I thought she was big but I am quite shocked. Mischief was 2.1 kgs at the same age.

Mischief has lost 0.2 kgs in last 2 weeks aswell but it is no surprise really. We have been gradually changing his diet over to a super healthy one though with only tasty herbs/veg as treats and cut right down on fruit etc.

Had delivery of lovely Timothy hay today aswell which they are munching on right now. And good quality meadow hay is due on Wednesday.

Feeling much happier about their diet. Spent a lot of money on good hay/feed recently and it's paying off I think [emoji3]

Her jabs are booked for Wednesday evening aswell. We can look at bonding in next week or 2 when we feel ready

Last edited:
Just weighed her and she is 3.3 kgs!! I thought she was big but I am quite shocked. Mischief was 2.1 kgs at the same age.

Mischief has lost 0.2 kgs in last 2 weeks aswell but it is no surprise really. We have been gradually changing his diet over to a super healthy one though with only tasty herbs/veg as treats and cut right down on fruit etc.

Had delivery of lovely Timothy hay today aswell which they are munching on right now. And good quality meadow hay is due on Wednesday.

Feeling much happier about their diet. Spent a lot of money on good hay/feed recently and it's paying off I think [emoji3]

Her jabs are booked for Wednesday evening aswell. We can look at bonding in next week or 2 when we feel ready

I'm glad everything went well with their diet. :)

Oooh exciting times!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
I know! We are excited [emoji3]

We no longer have a barrier around the cages when they free roam as they only give each other a quick sniff or a nose bump then pretty much ignore each other except stealing each other's hay and sit munching it together. They seem to accept each other pretty well.

They no longer investigate each other's cages or get excited about each other that much but sometimes lie together either side of cage. It seems like it is going well but I've never bonded buns before so don't know what to look for.

We are exhausted though! No time for anything else in life [emoji38] xx

I know! We are excited [emoji3]

We no longer have a barrier around the cages when they free roam as they only give each other a quick sniff or a nose bump then pretty much ignore each other except stealing each other's hay and sit munching it together. They seem to accept each other pretty well.

They no longer investigate each other's cages or get excited about each other that much but sometimes lie together either side of cage. It seems like it is going well but I've never bonded buns before so don't know what to look for.

We are exhausted though! No time for anything else in life [emoji38] xx

I wish I could see them, sounds so sweet:love: :love:

I wish I could see them, sounds so sweet:love: :love:
My OH is looking for a decent second hand phone to buy. We are waiting until we get results back from vets about Mischief in case we need to pay out more money for a CT scan first. We don't want to commit any money to anything until then. Touch wood all will be ok!

When he gets a decent phone we will be able to get better photos and videos of them for everyone to see! [emoji3]

They are so cute together. Lillabelle is already over half his size though! She is all cute like a baby bunny only twice as big! Such long legs.

She is coming up to me for strokes now. She only stays for a second before she runs off but at least we can touch her now. She comes up sniffing for treats so I give her the odd small sprig of parsley now and again. Only 2-3 times a day but it is enough to make her curious to see if I have anything tasty [emoji38]

She is so so funny. She does a half meercat where she is upright but she is sitting down on her bum. Very cutesie! I will try to catch it on photo.

And also noticed she can move her ears loads forwards and even almost upright! I have never seen that with lop ears before.

And she has tiny white eyebrows! [emoji7]

The little horror got into our lounge again this morning! It is supposed to be our room for bonding. I don't know if we can steam the floor and put a new rug down then new lino under the puppy pen? Would that be enough to get rid of her scent to make it neutral again please?

Oh and yesterday we heard a crash and ran in the bedroom only to find her starting to nibble a rich tea! One of us had left the biscuit tin on the bed by accident and she had somehow knocked the lid off and stole a biscuit!! I can't believe it is happening already! Now we have two little scoundrels!! [emoji23]

We need to change biscuit tin to tupperware container like every other treat in the house so they can't open them.

She is so on the ball. Yesterday my OH was eating a big chocolate cookie. As he walked in holding it she started meerkatting in the cage following the smell! It was very funny! [emoji38]

I wish you could meet them and I could meet little Cookie [emoji175]

Lillabelle has grown so big now!! I haven't weighed her since but the vet confirmed she is 3.3kgs at almost 12 weeks old. He said she will be a very big bunny!

Her jabs went well. It is quite a funny story. I booked her in to get the new jab all in one together as Inspector Morse recommended.

I went to reception to sign her up for the VIP plan with the vets so she will be on the same plan as Mischief. This means for £9 pm we get 2 free check ups a year, her jabs, and any wormer, rearguard and flea treatment plus 10% off any procedures or medication.

Tbh we won't be making use of the rearguard or flea treatment as we have decided, after advice from here on the forum, not to use these medications unless they actually need them. We won't be doing these treatments just as a 'precaution' as do not want to give them medications unnecessarily.

However the jabs, free check ups and the 10% off still makes it worthwhile plus there is peace of mind that the vets treats them as regular customers. And she will get wormer 4 weeks after her first lot as a baby.

So...when I came back from reception I went outside and said 'where is Lillabelle?' to which my OH said 'the vet has taken her in for her first lot of jabs'. I said 'First lot? But she is having only one jab!' and then rushed to reception and explained she is to have the new jab.

The receptionist rushed to tell the vet and came out to tell us she caught him just as he was about to stick the needle in her! [emoji38] But vet was told just in time and Lillabelle has now had the new jab!

She seems fine. She was a little quiet but nothing really noticeable. The only thing I will say is that she is not eating the pellets from the mixed feed. She eats the flaked peas and she LOVES the Science Selective pellets. But although I leave the bowl for ages she refuses to eat the old pellets. So I am just weaning her over to new ones a little bit quicker over 2-3 weeks rather than the 4 weeks as planned.

She now has kale, spring greens, coriander, parsley and dill. I'm leaving her fresh food as that for the time being. I have also ordered a few dried foods...plantain, dandelion, mixed fruit leaves and a mix of roots...dandelion, burdock and chicory. Plus apple twigs aswell.

Is it ok to give her any of these dried foods yet? I ordered them in small bags to try for both buns but wanted to check it's ok to introduce these foods to Lillabelle's diet?

With any new food. just start with a small amount and she should be fine. Keep her diet plain and don't overload her system :thumb:

With any new food. just start with a small amount and she should be fine. Keep her diet plain and don't overload her system :thumb:
Ok thank you. I will stick with what I'm doing for now then [emoji6] She is doing well and growing fast and I am currently weaning her on to Science Selective pellets so that is probably enough for her tummy to cope with xx

She sounds a real character, I think she is going to keep you on your toes :lol: can't wait to see more photos and videos. I think her and Mischief are going to have lots of fun :)

Aw, it sounds like she's doing well. I'm so glad. :love: I can't believe how big she already is! She's 12 weeks and already bigger than both Casper and Sophie! :shock: I'm not surprised the vet thinks she's going to be very big. :lol:

Back