• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leo - eye problems

alisont

Mama Doe
I have an elderly bunny Leo who is about 15.

Leo has led a very healthy life until the past 2 years when his age started catching up with him.

He developed dental issues and needed his teeth checking every 6 weeks or so - he has some
small abbcesses under his chin, not growing and now he has lost the teeth on one side. He also had 2 bad URI's last year that needed a lot of antibiotic injections. Now he has mild arthritis - I keep metacam in for when it gets bad for him and that seems to work well.

All these dental issues seemed to cause eye problems for Leo - he got a weepy eye - vet said it was to do with the tear duct - not sure if overactive or blocked? Leos eye weeps and then the fur round his eye went sticky, I have been bathing the area twice a day and it did improve.

This week Leo's rubbed the area somehow and got an area of fur off - looks worse than it probabally is but now he has a small discharge from the eye - white in colour.

Was going to see a vet tonight but my rabbit savvy one was not on so booked in for Monday after work. It was also pouring with rain here so I could not walk with Leo we would both of got soaked.

I can add photos tomorrow but anyone any idea what this could be and how it's best to treat Leo - vet won't do full xrays to check the dental situation with Leo's age, he does not want to flush the eye either so I'm guessing it would be a case of antibiotics again.

Leo will tolerate trips to the vets but he is never that happy with too much intervention - he hates syringe meds and I hate doing that - strangly I can easily inject antibiotics but get more metacam on me than Leo gets!

Leos up to date with his myxi and vhd - he's not tried the combined one yet, eating and drinking well and normal business toilet wise. On metacam at the mo due to current wet/damp weather which seems to cause a flare up with his arthritis. Only thing new recently was I rear guarded him. Can't see any sign of itchy/dry skin elsewhere, have had experience of guineas with fungal/mites but never rabbits.

He seems ok in himself - just this poorly looking eye.

It sounds as though his nasolacrimal duct has a bit of infection in it now. This can easily occur if the ducts are effected by tooth root elongation. A course of antibiotic eye drops, possibly in conjunction with systemic antibiotics would probably be prescribed.

Given his age and his history of a few URTI I would try to get him seem by a Vet today if possible. It is important to get the Vet to listen to his lungs as the infected nasolacrimal duct *might* be indicative of a more widespread but thus far relatively symptom free infection. In Rabbits who are somewhat frail and compromised, have mobility issues and/or other health problems a latent infection in the lungs can take hold.

Best wishes to the elderly chap :love:

Thanks, he seems a little better today, can't get in at my vets today but have got an appointment on Monday with the senior vet who knows Leo well and is bunny savvy. He will check teeth, listen to his lungs & will no doubt put him on a course of antibiotics & eye drops. He's good at showing me how to administer meds best. I'll probably ask to treat him at home with antibiotics - Leo seems to respond well to them given by injection, then see the vet later in the week.
The vets said Leo is very strong & always maintains the same weight but he did say he is prone to chest infections now.
There is an emergency clinic tomorrow but 10 miles away at the other surgery but I don't drive, could get him there if he does need it.
My Mums keeping a close eye on him whilst I'm out today & I'm in all day tomorrow.

Hi,

Daisy suffers from the same kind of eye problem- it weeps then the fur around her eye comes out and the skin looks a bit raw. We were at the vet yesterday and she gave us eye drops, Baytril and told us to keep using the cream that we have for the skin. the cream is called dermatsol and it really good at helping the skin to heal.

Laura

Thanks, Leo saw the vet tonight, vet thinks Leo has pneumonia or mentioned URI has given antibiotics - I was really busy holding Leo who was in a foul mood having had to sit in a carrier for best part of an hour as vet as usual was running late. He was in such a strop he even bit a hole in my tshirt! I wasn't able to ask loads as I was concentrating on Leo but looking at my receipt he's had Duphacycline and Voten suspension tonight.
Got to go back Weds then if more antibiotics are needed they will put those up for me to do at home as Leo is now not keen on the vets visits.
In himself he seems ok, had a run in the garden and eaten his tea, drinking well.
Got to see a different vet Weds - receptionist says this lady is very into bunny care and loves rabbits. Will see how he goes...

Back to vets tonight, vet listened to his chest and said that he's very congested still, lungs not sounding good. He's had antibiotics tonight and she's drawn me up 4 or 5 syringes to do the weeks course every 2 days at home. Less stressful for Leo if I treat him at home.

This vet said it was snuffles, pasturella other vet said pneumonia - hoping the antibiotics help.

Leo was quite chirpy tonight - must be feeling better if his fighting spirits returned!

Vets said how many rabbits are coming in with snuffles at the moment - they have seen a real increase in numbers over past month.

Really hope Leo pulls through this, he seems ok in himself but this is the 3rd chest infection in under a year.

Back