• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lamb Chop attacked me

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
I'm upset because I thought I had a very good bond with Lamb Chop. I went to give him some fresh water and top up his food bowl and he attacked me I have blood all over my hand he then went to jump up at me and sank his teeth into my leg I had to grab a towel and put it over him to put him back in his dog cage. I think its his hormones because his tail was up and he was spraying urine. I'm scare to to go near him now he has become very aggressive.I have never seen a rabbit attack like this. He smelt the does on my clothing what set him off. I can't get him to a vet today it will have to be sometime next week for neutering. Even with un-neutered rabbits I've never seen them attack like this.

It does sound to be hormonal / territorial. Is LC definitely a boy? Girls in particular can get very protective over their space, especially if it's quite restricted. He will need some weeks / months after neutering before his hormones settle down. Meanwhile, I would increase his space and avoid smelling of the other rabbits when you are with him so he feels more secure. And find a way of safely doing his food and water. Distraction by sprinkling pellets or greens on the floor may work.

With Lucky screaming yesterday, is there something that's spooking the rabbits, with 2 of them being so distressed suddenly? Maybe even the new birds, if there's nothing else obvious.

With Lucky screaming yesterday, is there something that's spooking the rabbits, with 2 of them being so distressed suddenly? Maybe even the new birds, if there's nothing else obvious.

I can't think of anything obvious, it all just seems very strange that these things are happening even the birds can appear to be distressed at times.

A flat was fumigated near by, although there is no smell could that effect animals? other than raging hormones I don't know what else it could be.

LC is an entire Buck in the same environment as entire Does, one of whom you claim to be pregnant

It is completely understandable that the poor boy is raging with hormones, stressed and behaving in a normal manner for a Rabbit housed in such an environment.

He needs castrating, the Does need to be moved out of his sight, smell and sound. You need to make sure you do not transfer the scent of the Does to LC. If you smell of them he will react to that long before he acknowledges what he sees.

Adding birds to the environment is an additional stressor.

If chemicals were used in the cleaning of a nearby flat you might not be able to smell them but a Rabbit has a much greater sense of smell than a human.

Screaming Rabbits and suddenly aggressive Rabbits = Stressed and upset Rabbits. Until you address the neutering and housing situation you are very likely to encounter a lot more behavioural problems

If you do have a pregnant Doe, who is herself still just a baby, it is a real possibility that she will reject her litter

LC is an entire Buck in the same environment as entire Does, one of whom you claim to be pregnant

It is completely understandable that the poor boy is raging with hormones, stressed and behaving in a normal manner for a Rabbit housed in such an environment.

He needs castrating, the Does need to be moved out of his sight, smell and sound. You need to make sure you do not transfer the scent of the Does to LC. If you smell of them he will react to that long before he acknowledges what he sees.

If chemicals were used in the cleaning of a nearby flat you might not be able to smell them but a Rabbit has a much greater sense of smell than a human.

Screaming Rabbits and suddenly aggressive Rabbits = Stressed and upset Rabbits. Until you address the neutering and housing situation you are very likely to encounter a lot more behavioural problems

If you do have a pregnant Doe, who is herself still just a baby, it is a real possibility that she will reject her litter

This, hope you can make suitable arrangements for them all until neutering.

This.

Don't let them carry on eating the birds' seed or go anywhere near them as birds can carry diseases that are fatal to other species (including humans).

LC will calm down after he has been neutered. You mustn't assume that Lacey is pregnant because she is 'making pregnant noises' or has nipples. Get her checked by the vet and, as Jane advises, move her well away from your bucks LC and Lucky.

'He smelt the does on my clothing what set him off'

Did you adopt another doe? I thought you only had Lacey.

Last edited:

I did not claim that Lamb Chop was pregnant at all. I said Lacey was pregnant not Lamb Chop.

Don't let them carry on eating the birds' seed or go anywhere near them as birds can carry diseases that are fatal to other species (including humans).

LC will calm down after he has been neutered. You mustn't assume that Lacey is pregnant because she is 'making pregnant noises' or has nipples. Get her checked by the vet and, as Jane advises, move her well away from your bucks LC and Lucky.

'He smelt the does on my clothing what set him off'

Did you adopt another doe? I thought you only had Lacey.

I rescued 3 bunnies, two bucks and one doe. Its very difficult keeping there scent of me otherwise it would mean washing myself and changing my cloths each time I see each one. Its going to cost me quite a bit to have them all fixed because there is no point in having Lamb Chop neutered when Lacey isn't spayed. The PDSA & RSPCA no longer neuter rabbits and private vets aren't cheap so I've gotta get money together then work out if I can afford to do it sooner rather than later.

I rescued 3 bunnies, two bucks and one doe. Its very difficult keeping there scent of me otherwise it would mean washing myself and changing my cloths each time I see each one. Its going to cost me quite a bit to have them all fixed because there is no point in having Lamb Chop neutered when Lacey isn't spayed. The PDSA & RSPCA no longer neuter rabbits and private vets aren't cheap so I've gotta get money together then work out if I can afford to do it sooner rather than later.

I reckon if you can afford Lamb Chops neuter now its well worth going for it IMO. 1) He'll be happier & more settled 2) a male remains hormonal & fertile for weeks after neuter - so whichever doe you put with him would only need to wait a week or 2 after her spay (ie til she recovers FULLY from op) compared to the 6 weeks if you got them done at the same time

I have to disagree since there is lots of point in taking the first step and starting with having LC neutered soon. Firstly for his health and secondly to help calm his hormones and aggression, if he gets to one of the others there could be a nasty fight. I don't doubt you want what's best for the rabbits in your care, just merely trying to help steer you in the right direction of making things better for them.

It is of course your decision how you schedule their neuters. I would view it this way though. Lucky is already neutered, so he will hopefully soon be losing his hormonal issues. As soon as you can aford it, I would get Lamb Chop neutered. I don't understand why you maintain there is no point when Lacey isn't spayed. Once Lamb Chop is neutered, your two bucks will be infertile six weeks after their op and they will calm down. I think I would want to establish firmly whether Lacey is pregnant or not, by consulting a vet. You really need to know this, so that you can monitor her gestation if she is, or plan for her spay if she isn't.

It really is important to remove their scent from you and your clothing before interacting with your different bunnies. It will cause stress to all of them.

It does sound like they are experiencing some kind of stress. I would agree with others that it does make sense to try and neuter Lamb Chop as this will hopefully help calm his hormones which could in turn lower his stress levels. Plus it would allow you to determine whether your other bun is definitely pregnant while he's recovering. In the meantime I would try what others have suggested e.g. scater feeding so that he is distracted so that you can change his water, and trying to change clothes if you can between buns. Maybe keep an old pair of clothes to hand for each set of rabbits that you can swap as needed to minimise scents. I appreciate it's a pain but it's hopefully only a temporary measure until you can bond them in future.

I've also found oven gloves can be helpful if you're worried about your hands getting bitten.

I saw very aggressive males during covid shutdown when neutering was difficult to schedule. They drew blood with each other and humans.
I. am not sure if it is true, yet I hear some aggressive behavior becomes a habit and may persist if neutering is delayed. Still, I am hoping LC will return to his better behavior once he is neutered.
Sending vibes you can determine the cause of such drastic behaviors.

Last edited:
"There is no point in having Lamb Chop neutered when Lacey isn't spayed."

LC is already becoming aggressive - rabbits don't usually draw lots of blood in my experience when they bite - and he is spraying you. These habits can become engrained if you don't get him neutered quickly. All vets will neuter males at four months.

Is your aim to have a trio because it might not work out with two males and a doe. If you need a fourth bunny, consider adopting a young neutered female not a baby as you can't guarantee the sex.

I don't understand what you mean?
I didn't know that the RSPCA and PDSA were no longer neutering rabbits.

I don't understand what you mean?
I didn't know that the RSPCA and PDSA were no longer neutering rabbits.

Yeah it would make a lot of sense to neuter the rabbit you are saying is being difficult/attacking, for the reasons every one has already mentioned.

The RSPCA don't typically neuter other people's animals (that aren't adopted from them), they sometimes do schemes for reduced costs but it's normally for cats. The PDSA will depend on each branch, here they are still neutering regardless of species so would neuter a rabbit. Depending on benefits you may be eligible for free treatment for one pet and low cost treatment for further pets. Sometimes they have to stop offering vaccines/neuters as there is a nationwide vet shortage and so many pets, too little funding etc they have to stop to prioritise sick animals. A different vet shouldn't be too expensive for a male neuter.

Back