• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just joined

Aubrey had to be put to sleep this evening .
I'm heart is in pieces !

He had a secondary condition that I can not spell.
His stools was full of mucus.

I feel the pain of your loss. You did everything you could to give your bunny a chance. Many, many years ago I lost three siblings between 8 and 12 weeks of age along with two adults to a similar issue. One adult bunny survived the illness even though he lost a lot of weight. I did not want to go through that again so I vowed to never get more bunnies. Then I met Amigo and I decided, as I hope you will, that I will be a much better friend for him that someone who will not notice if he needs vet care. Six days later my spouse brought home his twin, Bonita. Both of them lived a long time.

The reason I tell you of my loss is so you do not get discouraged. You are an awsome bunny parent and, when you are ready, know that another bunny is waiting to be the recipient of your care and love.

It's taken me years to get over loosing my 1st French lop Murphy.. rabbits are my favourite animal and I've loved them from a distance to avoid this feeling again.

I feel like I've somehow failed him

It's taken me years to get over loosing my 1st French lop Murphy.. rabbits are my favourite animal and I've loved them from a distance to avoid this feeling again.

I'm so very sorry :cry:

You didn't fail him, you did everything you could for him, it wasn't your fault that he couldn't recover. You are the kind of bunny mummy any rabbit would dream of.

Binky free Aubrey xx

Please know you did not fail him. I know it will take time for you to get over your loss, and I know no pet can replace your belated pet. It is about giving another bunny the chance to be loved by an awsome person.
You recognized Aubrey was ill, you got him vet care and follow-ups, and you gave him meds, hand feeding, and the feeling of being loved during your short time together.

im very sorry you lost aubrey but the amount of love and care you gave him in them days was amazing, nobody could have done better than you did. Please dont be put off from getting another bun because of the bad luck you have had, you could make some bu.nnies dream come true by adopting him/her. Hope you feel better soon.

No the condition is something to do with when they are weaned from their mothers milk onto food.
It has mucus in the name.. I have dyslexia so I have no chance of evening trying to spell it to look it up. :(

I'm absolutely heart broken , even though we only had him 4 days we had really bonded and I'd been sleeping with him at night and almost all of the day.

Mucoid Enteropathy aka Mucoid Enteritis

I am dreadfully sorry for your tragic loss :cry: If you have the strength do let the Breeder know as the condition is contageous and all other Kits in the litter will be at risk

RIP Aubrey :cry:

You absolutely 100% did not fail your baby. But I do know how you feel as I lost a baby girl Luna to exactly the same thing 3 years ago - despite the vets and us trying everything. You will feel that there must have been something you did wrong - but you didn't...you and the vets did your best and that's all you can do. I am so very sorry this has happened to you....but PLEASE don't let it put you off as it sounds like you can offer a bun a wonderful home. Big hugs.xxxx

The breeder has been informed, they are checking the litter but none of the others are showing any signs of being unwell.

I was offered one of aubreys brothers .. feels too soon right now but I do kinda like the idea of having a connection to my beautiful boy .
But I also feel guilty too because it seems soon

The breeder has been informed, they are checking the litter but none of the others are showing any signs of being unwell.

I was offered one of aubreys brothers .. feels too soon right now but I do kinda like the idea of having a connection to my beautiful boy .
But I also feel guilty too because it seems soon

Thinking of you.

I should do what your heart says you should, regardless of timing.

Sending hugs x

Whether you accept one of Aubrey's brothers is a decision that only you can make. I don't think that guilt should play a part though. If it seems too soon, then I would say it possibly is too soon for you. Everyone will have different feelings about this and of course it will depend very much on the individual circumstances.

In this particular case, I myself would be concerned about the health of the other litter mates, but you will be in a better position to decide on this.

I think perhaps you should wait a little while. Think it all through by yourself. I am sure that the right way forward for you will become clear.

As others have said though, I do hope that at some time or other you decide to give a home to another rabbit and when that happens, please let us know.

Timing is a personal thing, it would certainly be something positive to focus on. As Omi said, I would be concerned about the health of the other litter mates though.

I would do what seems right to you. Another option would be going to a rescue, where the rabbits will have been neutered, vaccinated and health checked.

I've told them I will think about it.
In the meantime the rest of the litter aren't going anywhere and are having a eye kept on them

I'm glad you are considering another rabbit, it will certainly be a very lucky bunny indeed :love: it sounds like the breeder is being very responsible about the rest of the litter :thumb:

Back