• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

John-Joe - U/D 25th April

Sending lots of vibes that your little JJ continues to improve. Finding him like that must have been very upsetting. He is very fortunate you checked on him and were able to intervene with an appropriate treatment plan so quickly.
Sending hugs and Love to you all.

Please don't beat yourself up. Your animal family has always had the best carer in you...anyone else may not have noticed his condition until it was too late, and you are doing your utmost for J.J. despite all the pain and difficulty of your own condition. He and your other animals are so blessed to be with you. ((((((((Huge hugs)))))))
Continued vibes that he's turning a corner and the end of the woods will be in sight soon. xxxxx

He’s gone downhill again, despite ongoing treatment ☹️

I wish we could establish the exact cause of JJs recurrent gut problems. Short of opening him up I am not sure what else we can do☹️

I am so sorry he declined after his promising improvement. My late mini rex, Black Velvet would experience similar sudden changes for no apparent reason. Something controversial now did seem to help diminish these episodes. She got a small amount of metronidazole for a few days to get rid of a presumed overgrowth of gut bacteria that was possibly causing painful gas and bloating that would keep her GI system. from functioning properly. It may be out of favor now due to side effects, yet something I wanted to mention.
Sending more vibes.

Over the last few hours JJ has shown some more signs of improvement. He is eating more for himself and although his poo is still tiny there is more of it. The large clump of impacted matter the was palpable in his small intestines has broken down.

I am not saying more for fear of tempting fate. Past episodes have taught me that he can seem to be getting a lot better only to suddenly relapse.

Thank you all who have taken the time to respond to this thread ❤️ I have rather a lot of other issues going on here and I am finding it harder than ever to cope with things, so your support is very much appreciated x

I'm so glad to hear J.J. is showing progress. I hope and pray it continues in a positive direction. 🥰

Thinking of you and sending strengthening and comforting vibes your way. ❤️❤️❤️ xxxxx

Back