• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i've just fallen for a bunny on a rescue site

We also adopted our three from a rescue, which was a long way away (4-5 hours drive). Although I was able to drive and firstly visit them and then a few weeks later pick them up, we were accepted without a home check. Once our accommodation outside was completed we sent photographs and sizes by email. A reference from your vet would also be useful I think.

I'm sure that, if she's still available, ways could be found to get round any issues you may have, so that you are able to adopt this lovely little girl. Sending you lots of good luck.

We also adopted our three from a rescue, which was a long way away (4-5 hours drive). Although I was able to drive and firstly visit them and then a few weeks later pick them up, we were accepted without a home check. Once our accommodation outside was completed we sent photographs and sizes by email. A reference from your vet would also be useful I think.

I'm sure that, if she's still available, ways could be found to get round any issues you may have, so that you are able to adopt this lovely little girl. Sending you lots of good luck.

thank you x

o/h isn't so sure. even though he said she's lovely (and looks more like a duckling than a rabbit :lol:) and sounds a good match for bisc, he thinks maybe the distance is an issue because if local, he could travel there and collect a rabbit and get a taxi back. he also thinks it would be unfair on her if the bond didn't work and she had to travel all the way back.

he also thinks we should wait until after bisc's vaccinations are done (they are due march with the new rvhd2 as soon as it comes in) and subsequent health check aswell (due soon) and discuss it with the vets again then (as we have done quite a few times!) because they have only got as far as a 'maybe' for bonding in bisc's case.

argh, is he being the voice of reason here? he said it's upto me because i am the boss :lol: and we can go for this girl if the rescue approves us and it is what i really feel is right for bisc.

i think we should just see what the rescue say about her and take it from there really and be sensible about it all. over-excited and sensible! :lol:

I'm with your OH on the vaccinations I think ... well the rvhd2 since the bunnies vaccinated for that are so far & few between together. I also think its really easy to miss potential out breaks & now it looks like the diagnostics (ability to do them) is scuppered. Advice is to have a break between the new vaccine & the combo one. maybe when your vets have it in they could assess suitability for bonding then (or at the booster up 3 weeks later).

The slightly impractical side wouldn't worry me too much...this little girl has stolen your heart & if its meant to be it will happen. My heart has over ruled my head for many a bunny adoption but i've never once regretted it .

I'm with your OH on the vaccinations I think ... well the rvhd2 since the bunnies vaccinated for that are so far & few between together. I also think its really easy to miss potential out breaks & now it looks like the diagnostics (ability to do them) is scuppered. Advice is to have a break between the new vaccine & the combo one. maybe when your vets have it in they could assess suitability for bonding then (or at the booster up 3 weeks later).

The slightly impractical side wouldn't worry me too much...this little girl has stolen your heart & if its meant to be it will happen. My heart has over ruled my head for many a bunny adoption but i've never once regretted it .

the practical side of things has always worried me, but reading that other people have overcome them makes me more hopeful.

it's just so hard with bisc because yesterday he was sooo bright and happy and then today i've woken up and he's a bit quiet. he's very up and down. but a bonding could either stress him out more, or having a new friend could be what he needs to have a truly fulfilled life again. he's happy but he's not happy like he was when with matt. it's a different type of happiness. bisc is so complex though that i really truly am 50/50 with how he would react. we just wonder whether trying one bond is worth it for the potential for him to have a companion. i'll feel guilty if he gets upset and more ill. but then i'll feel bad if he spends the rest of his life alone.

anyway, before i start rambling again i'll just wait to see what the rescue says. x

the plan was to wait for the new vaccine to come in and then take bisc in for his health check. if bisc needs to stay in for any reason (dental would be the most probable reason why) then he will have that done, health assessment etc, and won't have the new vaccine until he's recovered from that. if he doesn't need to stay then he will have the new vaccine. i did think the vaccine would be in by now so we're creeping closer to his combi one being due and as you say, there needs to be a gap left between them. i don't want bisc to go through too much in a short space of time either.

i also don't want to mess the rescue about. but she's just tugging at my heart strings :love:

i also don't want to mess the rescue about. but she's just tugging at my heart strings :love:
Mmm, I understand that: you don't want to lose any options but also don't want to string anyone along because of the hard work they all do!

Transport wouldn't be an issue, I'm sure, but if she doesn't travel well or the bond doesn't work, that would make everyone feel bad. But 'meant to be' does seem to have a lot to do with it, whether you believe in fate or not :) Good luck, whatever the outcome!

i got a reply from them. that was really quick! the lady sounds really nice. she said that they don't have a limit on how far they rehome, however the procedure they have means they like the potential adopter to visit the rabbit at least three times first, and anyone else in the household to visit at least once. they have colleagues further afield to do homechecks if needed. so the visiting the rescue seems to be the sticking point for them.

i'm not sure harley is even still available as she mentioned another rabbit called snuggles instead so maybe he is the only single rabbit they have available. interestingly, he is the spitting image of bisc!

i messaged back just saying that we appreciate our situation is difficult and awkward and just mentioned references and told her about bisc and us. basically just that we couldn't pass the opportunity to ask just incase and to contact us again if harley is still available and they feel something could be worked out etc etc. i mentioned the forum aswell, how people help with transport etc.

so i'll leave it upto them. it's probably a long shot and i know they need to feel comfortable with the home they go to.

i do believe in fate so we'll see what it decides! :D

oh nooooooooooo.... i think i've emailed the wrong branch! :oops: now do i email the lady back and say i've noticed, or hope she thinks dumb people aren't worth responding to and doesn't get in touch again!

how embarrassing!

i got a reply from them. that was really quick! the lady sounds really nice. she said that they don't have a limit on how far they rehome, however the procedure they have means they like the potential adopter to visit the rabbit at least three times first, and anyone else in the household to visit at least once. they have colleagues further afield to do homechecks if needed. so the visiting the rescue seems to be the sticking point for them.

i'm not sure harley is even still available as she mentioned another rabbit called snuggles instead so maybe he is the only single rabbit they have available. interestingly, he is the spitting image of bisc!

i messaged back just saying that we appreciate our situation is difficult and awkward and just mentioned references and told her about bisc and us. basically just that we couldn't pass the opportunity to ask just incase and to contact us again if harley is still available and they feel something could be worked out etc etc. i mentioned the forum aswell, how people help with transport etc.

so i'll leave it upto them. it's probably a long shot and i know they need to feel comfortable with the home they go to.

i do believe in fate so we'll see what it decides! :D

All of this sounds eminently sensible from your side. I am surprised that you would be expected to make three visits given the distance etc but as you say ... If it's meant to be ...

Fingers crossed x

oh nooooooooooo.... i think i've emailed the wrong branch! :oops: now do i email the lady back and say i've noticed, or hope she thinks dumb people aren't worth responding to and doesn't get in touch again!

how embarrassing!
Email back, apologise, explain and then email the correct branch [emoji1]

I doubt if you are the first one to get confused

i messaged back, said i think i've been getting the two names of the branches confused and sorry about that :oops: i thought i'd emailed a general one. i know it's easily done but i still feel a bit stupid :lol:

the lady messaged me back already and is very kindly passing our emails onto the correct branch. how lovely is that? i'd never heard of them before but they sound a really nice rescue. very polite and helpful :thumb:

well the website shows harley as reserved now and i haven't had any messages so i assume someone else has also fallen for her. so fate has decided no this time. but it's at least made us realise that we do feel that maybe bisc could be tried with bonding at least once. when that will be, who knows. we'll take things as they come.

so for now, we will concentrate on bisc's health check and vaccinations. he's got quite a dirty bum again today but i'm not really sure what has triggered it. he's ok though but i'll update his other health thread about that anyway.

i got a voicemail left earlier (it just came through.. stupid phone!)... anyway, it was the rescue asking us to phone them back. the lady sounded really lovely actually. so i assume that it is probably to let us know she is reserved. but maybe a tiny chance they might want to discuss things further?? not sure.

she said to ring between 9 and 4 though so annoying they have closed now! but o/h said he can ring tomorrow. i hope they won't mind that they've left a message for me and it won't be me ringing back. part of me is tempted to though which is really weird! i don't know why, maybe because she sounded like a really nice person. i don't know. but i only speak to the vet on the phone so it's weird i'd even consider it in my head!

it's all really scary. i don't want to get my hopes up because it could just be to say thanks for your enquiry but she's reserved etc etc.

i got a voicemail left earlier (it just came through.. stupid phone!)... anyway, it was the rescue asking us to phone them back. the lady sounded really lovely actually. so i assume that it is probably to let us know she is reserved. but maybe a tiny chance they might want to discuss things further?? not sure.

she said to ring between 9 and 4 though so annoying they have closed now! but o/h said he can ring tomorrow. i hope they won't mind that they've left a message for me and it won't be me ringing back. part of me is tempted to though which is really weird! i don't know why, maybe because she sounded like a really nice person. i don't know. but i only speak to the vet on the phone so it's weird i'd even consider it in my head!

it's all really scary. i don't want to get my hopes up because it could just be to say thanks for your enquiry but she's reserved etc etc.

You never quite know the circumstances of a reservation, and of course these things sometimes fall through (bit like buying a house - people change their minds).

Keep an open mind, as you are, and 'throw it out to the Universe' as they say (if you want to :D)

Back