• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone had a bunny with Bell’s palsy (facial paralysis) ?

Livvie

Young Bun
Firstly, don’t worry, bunny is under vet care, this is not me asking for a substitute for that!

Secondly, this is a long but INTERESTING read, trust me!

Barney's story:

So, Barney has always been a very sickly bunny.
He came to the pet shop at 8 weeks (from breeder) with three other cage mates.

Sadly after a few days of being in store, one of the buns in his cage passed away, of confirmed RHD2.

Barney then stopped eating, and lost so much weight he became like a bag of bones! After days of hourly medical care and force feeding to prevent stasis he miraculously recovered. He actually became incredibly confident and fearless, and very naughty! All of this time the other two bunnies in his cage remained healthy.

After a few weeks Barney unfortunately developed snuffles/pasteurellosis and was brought back into the pet shop by the lady who had adopted him a day earlier, she said she couldn’t deal with it!

After many weeks of different medications (Baytril, Sulfatrim, Zithromax, Bisolvon, vitamin supplements) he was signed off by the vet and I adopted him.

A quick note also is that the two other original cage mates of his in the pet shop both unfortunately passed away from myxomatosis.

In the next couple months Barney developed what we (us and the vet) believed to be e.c. Infection as he began losing weight and was drinking and peeing an insane amount every day. He was peeing so much he was giving himself urine scald on his back legs.

We ended up treating him with a 40 day course of Panacur (as advised by the vet) and right at the end of the course he completely recovered - no more excessive drinking and weeing.

Since then he has had the odd case of snuffles and not eating. He had to be hospitalised with fluids one day last year, and we had to give him recovery every hour for several days.

I knew when I took Barney on that he would be more prone to issues than the average bun, and that’s fine.

However, I would like to know stories if anyone has had anything similar. I find it really interesting to compare the different symptoms these illnesses can cause.

Recently (in the last month) his snuffles flared up again and he had two weeks of Baytril, plus we had to give him recovery food for the first couple of days (he stopped eating). Now his attitude has massively changed, he keeps growling and terrorising the cats. Half of his face has also fallen (hence the title). When he drinks the water dribbles out of the paralysed side of his face. Obviously we can’t say for sure if it’s due to pasteurella or e.c. , but he’s also started drinking a lot too. He is now on a 28 day course of Panacur, hopefully his behaviour will calm down as/if the treatment works.

Thanks for reading, hope this was interesting, and I would love to hear your own stories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
He had a bad ear actually and I asked for metacam because it was bothering him so much! I got an otoscope and looked in there and we ended up getting SO much wax out of it. The other ear was fine. He stops flicking his head so much after that.

He had a bad ear actually and I asked for metacam because it was bothering him so much! I got an otoscope and looked in there and we ended up getting SO much wax out of it. The other ear was fine. He stops flicking his head so much after that.

Has he had a skull Xray or CT scan ? That is the only way to diagnose otitis media.

Yes I have had this for a bunny with head tilt caused by an ear infection. I had to lubricate his "down" eye because of it and he also ended up with dental problems as well. Might be worth an xray to see what else may be going on for him.

He’s had no scans yet. Vet didn’t really say much when I took him in

I’ll ask for more metacam then I guess, and if it doesn’t go away maybe we’ll have to look at taking some scans etc.

This is his face if anyone was interested. Especially in the last one you can see his right side drooping down.

20db4599ac59afd4ebd62a3984b30dc4.jpg

dba4c0b1563516f69f3b23bb6f082851.jpg

efa508b230d789e71fbfdb4e105a8ef7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's adorable! This is similar to how my boy's was, then unfortunately his head tilt progressed and he was permanently tilted and the paralysis then affected his eye. I may not be the best example given everything that happened with my boy but I would say do as much as you can now, even if you think it's overkill, to prevent it getting worse.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

He's adorable! This is similar to how my boy's was, then unfortunately his head tilt progressed and he was permanently tilted and the paralysis then affected his eye. I may not be the best example given everything that happened with my boy but I would say do as much as you can now, even if you think it's overkill, to prevent it getting worse.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply. I think I should take him back to vets if it’s still present after panacur course. Might even contact them before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back