• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Health ? - Random High Bunny Fevers

JC2Bunny

New Kit
I have a bunny I've had the vet hospital run a slew of tests. He tested negative for EC, Pasteurella, doesn't have mites but in the past 4 months he's had very high fevers. He's been x-rayed, had ultrasounds and found nothing./ When the fever is high he obviously doesn't eat but then he gets splayed limbs until he fully recovers. I syringe feed the oxbow critical care mixture along with medicines from the vet until Jordan bunny feels better and moves normally. He is between 7 and 9 years old.

What I can't seem to find with the vets is what is causing these fevers and issues. I feed oxbow orchard grass, oxbow meadow hay, oxbow oat hay and he's housed inside. We don't allow the bunnies outside at all unless in a carrier to the vet. We keep the apt at 68-70 all the time if it gets warmer than 70 we keep the air conditioning on and we don't let the temp go lower than 68.

The most controversial veggie I feed them is parsley and it's not all the time. I feel lettuces and herbs. They extremely rarely get banana.

I give Ocean Spray's craisins with low sugar which I just looked up the ingredients and they have cranberries, soluble corn fiber, sugar, glycerin, sunflower oil and sucralose. The bunnies eat Oxbow adult essentials food pellets.

With antibiotic from the vet my grey bunny Jordan appears to get better but I'm not sure what is causing this issue as he acts normally prior to being very suddenly sick.

My vet suspects it could be an auto immune disorder but it's hard to know what to check and look for since we have checked everything normally that afflicts bunnies so I'm wondering if someone else has come across any similar issues or has suggestions on what we should look into. We've done bloodwork.

As he responds to abx treatment then the fevers are likely to be due to an infection. The source of infection may be in his CNS. Xrays and U/S may not pick up some issues, a CT scan might do so.

Alternatively has he been tested for Baylisascaris procyonosis which can be caught from Racoons ?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11880233/

When he has abx how long is each course ?

Last edited:
I'll have to check and see if we did a CT scan I can't remember if not we might look into that. They did an injection of penicillin on top of Enrofloxacin injections. I'll have to look and see how long this batch is for but in April when this happened last it was 18 days on that medicine. I wonder if he may have caught Lyme Disease or Baylisascaris procyonosis. The bunny doesn't go out but for all i know he got it from humans going to take trash out and then coming back inside.

I'll have to check and see if we did a CT scan I can't remember if not we might look into that. They did an injection of penicillin on top of Enrofloxacin injections. I'll have to look and see how long this batch is for but in April when this happened last it was 18 days on that medicine. I wonder if he may have caught Lyme Disease or Baylisascaris procyonosis. The bunny doesn't go out but for all i know he got it from humans going to take trash out and then coming back inside.

I would certainly mention Baylisacaris to your Vet.

Back