• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Isn't it normal?

WolfLover456

Young Bun
This may be an unpopular opinion or whatever. But I've been in other rabbit groups and the main thing I can't understand is why people are getting paranoid over their rabbit "shaking" because they're sniffing?

I can understand if there's literally something wrong with them, as some say it's probably a neurological problem or because it might be due to the room being too hot ( which can be rather troublesome for rabbits that are both long-haired and dark-colored ), but from the most part that I can gain and seeing my own rabbits doing it, I can only conclude because they have small hearts, therefore, it pumps faster than most animals/mammals and that's sniffing/nose twitching is what's causing them to appear like they're shaking. My rabbits do it to, all the time, moreover when they're laying down and relaxing or with my current one, laying down because he's temporarily tuckered out from running around. And I know that rabbits are like cats in hiding injuries or illnesses, my last and current rabbit did it on occasions to fully and they were absolutely fine, whenever we had them taken to the vet ( for the male; just a checkup for we're getting him neutered; the female was taken to the vet because she had a variety of eye problems before she died from old age. ), there was nothing addressed about them shaking while they were sniffing/nose twitching, so I can only assume they too knew it was normal or that I didn't refer to it about it because I didn't think it was anything worrisome.

Literally every rabbit "shakes" when they're highly alert?? I've said so in the groups that had people worried about something that's likewise not even meant to be worried about but advised if they are still concerned, consult a vet to debate whether or not it's normal, which I'm sure it is--I don't think--all state that their rabbits are eating, drinking, using the bathroom, and interacting with everything just fine. Just overall, I don't want to sound like another jerk of the group because they have enough already over people who are trying their best in caring for their rabbits and those people are jumping to conclusions and accusations because they don't know the full story, such as making them more paranoid about something normal for a rabbit. Could just be me starting to get annoyed of it. I don't know. Like, I want to be the kind of person to assure others that there's nothing to worry about but to make sure but my reassurance gets ignored and pays more attention to the people who's getting the anxiety and worrying flared up more than it needs to be. And no, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be worried about your pet, it's great, but to be worried about something that isn't a problem entirely is a different thing. :/

I guess we need to be mindful of changes in behaviour. Personally, I would prefer people risked what turns out to be an unnecessary vet appointment than risk the life of a rabbit as they go 'downhill' so quickly. I may have misunderstood your post.

I guess we need to be mindful of changes in behaviour. Personally, I would prefer people risked what turns out to be an unnecessary vet appointment than risk the life of a rabbit as they go 'downhill' so quickly. I may have misunderstood your post.

Ditto

I agree with Babsie. :D

Also agree with Babsie.

My boy was happy, healthy, eating and drinking - by the next 2 hours he'd become unbalanced and was fitting. The reason I'm saying this is because I'm backing Babsie's point up, even more, about how fast they go downhill. It does not take long. I would rather have the worry and paranoia, so that I get them checked over - even if it is completely normal. :)

I agree that it's something that most rabbits do. Mine certainly do and sometimes it's down to stress/illness and other times its for no reason whatsoever.
At the same time there is a difference between a bad shake and a good shake and I can tell by looking at my rabbits if there is something wrong and if they are just stressed or hyped from running etc.
I think that you have to bear in mind that a lot of people on these rabbit groups know their rabbits and what's normal for them. If they are worried then it's more likely that something is wrong than not. If it was a regular thing then they probably wouldn't be worried!
I think that it's worth mentioned the various reasons why this might happen but I would never talk anyone out of getting a vet check because of it. Better that there is nothing wrong than to leave it until it is too late :)

Back