• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this common with frenchies?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
hi..Bif lost her love of her life in august and nearly died..until she had a blind date with Bertie..
Bertie was an ex breeding/showing buck who was neutered in 2005 and he was 18 months old when we got him..hes now 23 months old. where he lived he had ful free range of the gardens which also housed large sheds and runs for 30 bunnies breeding and showing stock for a hobbyist shower. His best friends were a cat and a boxer cross dog..and a 2 yr old toddler! He had his own shed with a huge hutch in it but never was a house bun..he had a litter tray in his hitch which he used but obviously the rest of the time the ladys lawn got well fertilised!

To cut a very long story short..can i never ever toilet train him..ive never had a bunny who weed like this..ever!

Bif was 18 monhts old when she came to us and she was a breeze to train..mind you we did have oscar to teach her.

Bertie was too big for the dog pen i had but i had to use it for the first two nights and then i put the bunny run up in my lounge at one end and tried to litter train him there..oh my poor carpet!
Bonding began asap with bif as we couldnt handle the overcwording in the lounge!

He was a bit tricky to bond even tho it was love at first sight..
his toilet training got a bit better..we ended up with several trays around the lounge..we figured maybe it was his size ( hes 5kg the vet reckoned) and he didnt make it in time..or maybe it was difficult getting in and out the tray..etc..

we tried putting them both in the rottweiler dog crate once bonded but bif got distraught as bertie did nothing but wee all over her stuff and his own..oh territorial ittl calm down..it didnt and to make it worse she joined in!

we still had the pen up whenwe got the kitties on 21st oct!! the kitens actually become an encouragement for him as they were getting trained..but bertie still weed a lot on the carpet in several areas as well as int he tray..he poos wherever he is and doesnt worry about it and every now and then he will poo in the tray.

The flood occurred on 23rd october i think or 24th and i had tot ake the buns upstairs the next day..i didnt think theyd go sleep on wet carpeting and i hadnt got any bunny proofing in my room.
i sorted it out in the morning and took the buns up to my room..oh he peed everywhere where their stuff was but not anywhere else..and i found if i woke up and saw poo i swept it up and i did it religiusly every few hours..no wee whatsoever for 2 days and nights!!

the floor has been half ripped up we live in a mess up thanks to the water board and the concrete flor is toow et for carpeting to be replaced..but now i dont want carpet..the smeelll of vineagr is disgusting.

he seems to like to pee around the food and water bowls or whilst hes eating and drinking or shortly thereafter..
i go nuts as his tray isnt more than 2 feet away ..to make it easy for him..nope..i tried it further aay and he seemed to forget it ever existed!

is it territorial.is he lazy..is he beyond help...

i could try the cage again i guess but bifs so fragile right now and with the whole flood issue and ongoing fight with insurance company etc..i dont think itd be fair..but if i dont will that ruin my chances of ever getting him trained?

hey i can handle the poo..my old dwarf lop did that..bunny dot to dot we called it..but she never ever peed outside her cage with one exception..she was a baby and playing in her cardboard fort and our two old cats blocked the exits and she peed herself..they thought she deserved to get told off for once..it didnt owrk and she reprimanded them herself!

My biggest worry is now bif has taken to copying him..poo where you like leave some in the tray and she does pee in her tray but she has the odd spot..here nthere..

bertie did a have a thickening of his bladder wall..he got treated for bladder infection and i stopped his course after 10 days like it said. he weed on the remaining bit of carpet whilst finishing a drink today..aarghhhh...ive run out of ideas..the carpet stinks of vinegar..enzyme solution cleaner which cant hold berties wees! And i darent steam clean it cos itll bring up the wee again.

i have tried moving the tray and food etc but where hes weed before i guess is his now..

Hes so attached to his bif..but now also the little boy kitty..salem..to see salem purr and suck his ears and go to sleep with bertie cuddling him is the cutest thing ive ever seen. Bif litter trained salem..he was so tiny then..he thought she was his mum and vice versa..

i think ill take him back for a check up but to be honest he never showed any signs of cystitis jst very downa nd grumpy and weed brazenly wherever he was without a care and the wees in the litter tray didnt smeel right..

so i could hope it was a medical reason right..but im sre its just a territorial thing..or are frenchies lazy like this?

he doesnt run through the kitchen and hall anymore...but tonight he was binkying..he hasnt done that since his heamatoma!

hes so docile and when he wants a cuddle or hug on the sete hell make his ay there or hell beg for one! hes a soppy ld fruit whose snoring causes the subtitles neding to be put on the tv! hes great for bif..hes a good dad to the kitties who adore him in return..and hes the laziest bun ive ever met..
im upset hes a dirt bertie but i could never regale him to outside life not with bif..and i cannot shut him in a pen in one end of the lounge..tried that one! Ive been told hell never be clean by one vet as he was ex stud bun and bos..but im lucky..so far hes never sprayed..just weed..sometimes small dribbles sometimes copious amounts..frenchies pee freely alright dont they!

access to the garden has been denied due to many things he had happen to him..the weather..and bifs health too..
id take him out on a lead n harness..but hed lay down and go to sleep! like he does in the garden!
any one..please i need help..if it werent for bif id be tempted to let him live outside but i know i couldnt..hes my big shaggy floor rug!

Oh dear poor you. It sounds like you've tried all the tried and tested methods to no avail.. I'd be at my wits end. I'm not convinced that litter training is the doddle that some folks make it out to be :cry:

sorry I can only offer sympathy, not useful information

:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry, I know I should not laugh but I know exactly what you mean when you say the amount of wee :lol: :lol: :lol: these big buns really can wee for Britain :shock: :shock: When I first heard Marcel I thought I had left a tap running :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: litter trays and hutch is cleaned everyday due to the amount, it is almost the equivalent to a human wee at times :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a long shot as it sounds like you have tried nearly everything possible, try putting the hay in a rack by the litter trays and put his food bowl in the litter tray too, this way, if he wants food he has to get into the litter tray to eat :wink: water bottle or bowl, again by the litter tray. Any wee around the place mop up with a tissue and place in litter tray under the hay/straw or what ever you use and where ever he has wee'd around the house clean up with white vinegar so that the smell goes and he cannot find where he has been :wink:

Tell me about it! Harley is 6.2kg and I have never ever known a rabbit to pee like he does. He soaks everything! Im so glad he is neutered as god knows what distance he could cover if he sprayed!

I have a NZ white the same size as my French Lop X. He was about 2 when i got him, & had him neutered, & the messiest bun EVER!! However, for some reason, he appears to have litter trained himself in the last month or so- so hang on in there!! :shock: :lol:

I have a NZ white the same size as my French Lop X. He was about 2 when i got him, & had him neutered, & the messiest bun EVER!! However, for some reason, he appears to have litter trained himself in the last month or so- so hang on in there!! :shock: :lol:

My giant Edgar has just decided that he can't be bothered (or something??!!) to use the litter tray anymore after being a very tidy boy previously! I am trying diluted biological washing liquid-it works with cats and dogs but no joy with buns yet!! but maybe worth a shot. Anyway i certainly know how you feel-so frustrating that all my hard work is suddenly undone like that!!

Sooz22 said:
Tell me about it! Harley is 6.2kg and I have never ever known a rabbit to pee like he does. He soaks everything! Im so glad he is neutered as god knows what distance he could cover if he sprayed!

*makes a mental note to self to invest in a LOT of bunny litter* :lol: :lol:

Totally off topic (sorry purplebumble!) but is Harley a French Lop then Sooz? I'm still learning about the different bunny breeds, but I'll google for a piccie.. :oops:

Not exactly he's a harlequin lop cross (but it could be crossed with a frenchie I suppose) he hasnt got the amazing ears though.

Back