• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok to change Bandit's diet, even though she may be pregnant?

KTJ

Alpha Buck
Hi fellow bunny lovers!

To cut a long story short, I re-homed 2 silver fox rabbits a few months ago and was told they were brothers... Since then I have had no reason to doubt that, until last week when I caught them humping. I was told by a friend who is a vet that it was probably a dominance thing.... but then Bandit started nesting- something which he had never done before. So just out of curiosity, I had him sexed on friday and he is actually a she, and could be pregnant.

I went to pets at home today to buy extra bedding for her as she has been separated from Smokey, and got talking to one of the people who work there. She suggested I change Bandit from the food s/he has always had, to the Burgess Excell pellets... but surely this change could upset Bandit's stomach at a time where she needs to be as strong as possible?

Any suggestions on what to do? xx

Firstly, what food is she on at the moment? Pellets are far better than a mixed feed, even though that usually looks more appealing to us, because it stops them from selective feeding. As she's pregnant she'll be needing the best quality food she can get, so as long as you change very gradually, I don't see that it could possibly hurt to change to a better brand.

Secondly, a lot of people on here prefer to use Science Selective to Excel, as some people's rabbits (including my own) have had negetive experiences with other brands. I also read something recently about there being animal byproducts in Excel (!) which naturally you'd want to avoid feeding to a rabbit.

Lastly, how much hay is she getting? It's important for a pregnant doe to be getting limitless good quality hay - that's the most important part of the diet after all. :D

Last edited:
Firstly, what food is she on at the moment? Pellets are far better than a mixed feed, even though that usually looks more appealing to us, because it stops them from selective feeding. As she's pregnant she'll be needing the best quality food she can get, so as long as you change very gradually, I don't see that it could possibly hurt to change to a better brand.

Secondly, a lot of people on here prefer to use Science Selective to Excel, as some people's rabbits (including my own) have had negetive experiences with other brands. I also read something recently about there being animal byproducts in Excel (!) which naturally you'd want to avoid feeding to a rabbit.

Lastly, how much hay is she getting? It's important for a pregnant doe to be getting limitless good quality hay - that's the most important part of the diet after all. :D

Hey :) Thankyou for your reply.
Bandit is on a mixed feed called "fruity rabbit" and has been for months as I tried her on some pellets when I first took her and her brother on and they didn't seem to take to it so well, but Im willing to try her on it again if it's for her best interests. I bought a bag of the excel stuff today so maybe if I just put a handful of the pellets in with her normal food and gradually increase it, that will help prevent an upset tummy? I will look into the product, as I refuse to support and buy a brand of rabbit food that has animal byproducts in it, that's just wrong in my opinion! But as Ive already paid for a bag of it, and if its better than the food Bandit's currently on, then I might aswell use it for now!
Bandit gets fresh hay everyday, and Ive made sure she's got loads of it :) Her nest is full of straw, hay and fur, she's been nesting for about 4/5 days now, so if she is pregnant, I don't think it'll be long... Im just still so shocked he's a she! xx

Back