• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it normal to be so sleepy hours after sedation? U/D improvement

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Artie had his bladder expressed under 'light' sedation this morning, I don't know what time - I rang at 1pm to find out how it had gone.

He's been hidden away ever since he got home and he seems really dopey :?

He has eating a few bits that I've offer him (he came home at 5pm) he's really wolfed down some dandelions but he's stayed in pretty much the same spot at the back of his hide away ever since he's been back. I don't know if I should be worried or this would be fairly normal. I'd expect it after general anaesthetic but he's only had sedation. He doesn't particularly give the impression he's in pain just hiding away :? I was told it went well as well so I'm presuming there's no reason for him to be in loads of pain.

He's had same procedure under sedation before only he stayed at the vets over night afterwards so I don't know how he responded.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
He may still be sleepy and also a bit sore.
Having your bladder squeezed cant feel too comfy straight afterwards !!

Has he had a wee since he's been home ?

He may still be sleepy and also a bit sore.
Having your bladder squeezed cant feel too comfy straight afterwards !!

Has he had a wee since he's been home ?

No. He really hasn't moved other than to turn around and to move forward to take dandelions off me :( How long do you think before I should be concerned? He doesn't look uncomfortable particularly, just dozing.

I haven't been given definite instructions about metacam either just when I think he needs it, he had an injection, I'm guessing that was around the time of his procedure.

No. He really hasn't moved other than to turn around and to move forward to take dandelions off me :( How long do you think before I should be concerned? He doesn't look uncomfortable particularly, just dozing.

I haven't been given definite instructions about metacam either just when I think he needs it, he had an injection, I'm guessing that was around the time of his procedure.

I would just allow him to rest tonight.
Leave him some bits of food close by aswell as a bowl of water. If he hasn't wee'd by the morning I'd give FHB a call. I would not give him any more Metacam tonight as I suspect he will have had a full dose when the proceedure was carried out.

xx

I would just allow him to rest tonight.
Leave him some bits of food close by aswell as a bowl of water. If he hasn't wee'd by the morning I'd give FHB a call. I would not give him any more Metacam tonight as I suspect he will have had a full dose when the proceedure was carried out.

xx

Thank you so much. it says 0.15 Metacam. He's eaten a reasonable amount for me to not be too concerned about his digestion. I'll get him some more celery as that must have a fair bit of water in it.

I've got an air mattress ready to sleep on the floor and watch over him all night (like you do).

Thanks so much for your advice Jane, you're a life saver.

He stayed hidden but did a bit of foraging/nibbling and at about 6.00 am I heard a noise and when I woke I was face to face with Artie :love: He then ran off to his potty and weed, no straining etc.

I then made a fuss of him and he was nudging and licking. He's still fairly quiet and hasn't eaten much but he's bright when he has food waved at him or when he wants a fuss. He's not gone back into hiding since 6.00 am so I assume he's feeling much better now. He's weed several times.

I've got to go to work which I really, really don't want to but he's just munched some spring green and my mum is coming round to tempt him with food a couple of times.

i was worried after winnies denatl as angel has been sooo much they dont give her quite as much and shes wide awake when i pick her up but winston was real bad it actually took 2 days before he started to stop sleppind and eat a little i was no good but after a week he was his old self!
This last dental with angel was worrying as she had to have so much pain relief that she aws out of it for that day and the next which was scary but they warned me she had a lot so i wasnt as scared.
I think i may die of an ulcer worrying so much and it dont help angels dentals are evry couple o month.

Back